• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22 Loads?

DHanz

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
I've been trying to creep up on max loading 175SMKs and it's been a long creep. I guess because I'm able to load the OAL so long that it's a bit different than my other rifles.

I tried the search but didn't dig anything up.

Anyone care to share what they are using?

Re: Sako TRG-22 Loads?

Can't remember the 175 load with Varget and it was a good one, but 155s run 2930 in front of 46g 0f varget in mine.

Reloading for this rifle is starting to make me nuts. I probably should just ignore the chronograph but I bought one and it’s making me insane. My loads are inconsistent in groups and recorded velocities. The chrony is indicating that less powder is giving higher velocities. I used the chrony two days in a row – both days were overcast here. First day was 62 degrees F and today was 66 degrees F.

Rifle: Sako TRG-22, 26” 1:11” Twist .308

Here’s the components:

Hornady Brass Trimmed to 2.005
Neck Size only Redding S Bushing Dies after they’ve been fired once
2.88 OAL
2.29 Ogive Length

Reloader 15

CCI large rifle primer

175SMK

I can’t seem to assemble anything that impresses me with velocity or group. I know I’m not the best shooter but I have managed a 5 shot .5” group @ 200 yards with this rifle using 168FGMM.

The best I’ve gotten with hand loads is a 5 shot .7” group @ 200 with my 175 loads. That was today. My average for the day is .7 MOA with the largest 5 shot group at 1.88”.

Maybe I should be happy but the chrony data doesn’t make sense to me.

Powder charge: 46.1 shot .35 MOA
Velocities: 2727.57

Average: 2675.00
That yields a 104.4 difference from High to Low velocity and a SD of 41.14.
That sucks.

Powder Charge: 45.6 – shot .68 MOA
Velocities: 2692.38

Average: 2697.09

That one showed only a 45.10 difference between High and Low velocity and a SD of 6.71
That I can live with but, Why is the average velocity higher than the 46.1gr load? There’s .5gr difference between the two?

Please help me understand this.

Thanks,
Doug

Are you positive about your Chrno? I never see very large spreads with any load I have ran in my trg.
I think I was running 175s at 2750 but I would have to look.

I wish I was positive with the chrono. It was overcast so I don't think I was having light issues. It has given me readings that reflect factory data on rounds in the past. I even treated it to new batteries.

I'm going to head back out this afternoon. I'm bringing some 168 FGMM with me to confirm my shooting ability and the chronograph.

Last night I actually turned some necks. First time in my life. I noticed that some of the necks looked uneven. I turned around 20 cases to compare with the unturned cases. Maybe that's the cause of the large spread?

I guess I have to keep fiddling and experimenting.

You sound like me with my Tikka .243...just can't find the sweet spot with my reloads.
I end up shooting my factory ammo just to confirm that its not me.

I was not reloading when I owned my TRG-22...but Hornady 168gr Match shot the best followed by Fed. GMM 168's and Black Hills 175gr Match ammo.

Good luck...I am sure you will nail it down.

Take care,Stan