• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sako TRG 22 mount question

providence

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2023
europe
Hey guys, I've just bought a used TRG 22 and I am now evaluating my options for mounting optics. The rifle is equipped with a picatinny rail.

I will be using the rifle for both hunting and long(ish) range target shooting and plan to get two different optics. For this reason I want them to be interchangeable without recalibration.

This will be my first proper long range rifle with decent optics so this is all very new to me and I would appreciate advice on which mount to go with. For long range shooting I am leaning towards the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 which has a 34mm tube. I am also failry decided on a Spuhr ISMS mount but there are still quite a few options. Is there any advantage to having a cantilever mount on this rifle and what are your thought on height? The rifle has an adjustable cheek support so is there any downside to just going with the highest mount?

A direct mounted Spuhr 4701 that fits to the dovetail of the action is the way to go on the TRG.
I ran that setup for over 3 years and it never failed.
You dont use a cantilever mount for a TRG so forgett about that part.
If you decide to keep the picatinny you can run a Spuhr 4001 mount instead.

1699894694096.png

Oh so the dovetales locks to a single position? I thought it was a rail and so would require recalibration on each switch. If not - then that is what I will do, thanks!

Is that the KRG folding stock on the picture? That one is included in the package I got, what are your thoughts on it?

1699897808338.png

The mount has a recoilstop that is adjustable, the mount in the picture is an old generation but it works the same. It is 100% repeatable in my experience.
At the competition where the picture where I shoot from an old Mercedes was taken, we had a huge down pour one time.
After I got home I took the rifle completely apart, lubed and cleaned it and reassembled and my zero was still set.

The KRG folder is great. Ive had 3 of them on different rifles during the years. Its an awesome upgrade for sure.

Reactions: providence
I also use the sphur 4701 that locks into the dovetail. I haven't had any complaints about it.

And just like the rifle above, I have an older version of the krg folder. I like it but I wish that I had the fixed version. The locking clamp is getting old and I've had it pop open and fold while staging for a prs match

That narrows down the choice of heights to just one as a bonus. ST-4701 it is then.

Nice that the folding stock is well liked, looking forward to try it out.

Reactions: VargmatII
Hey hey hey......if you have never removed a rail from a TRG22 be aware that they used a lot of loc tight and you may run into troubles. I ended up having to machine the bolts out of the rail that came factory installed on mine. Wasn't cool but worked out in the end.

Reactions: TheOE800
Oh, surely hope that is not the case. Did you try to apply heat? Thinking maybe a soldering iron could work.

There is also a roll pin holding the rail to the receiver. Once you get the machine screws out the rail will still be firmly held in place. You can pull straight up on the rail to unseat it from the pin, do not try to get the rail to come off with sideways pressure.

Reactions: GUNNER75
I had so much trouble getting a TRG22 rail off I had to take it to a gunsmith. I tried heat and was unable to get it off. When I got my TRG42 years later that came with a rail… I left it on the rifle!

I have two TRG22s mounted to the dovetail, one a Spuhr and one a factory Sako three ring mount.They work great. But if it comes with a rail I would just do a picatinny Spuhr mount.

I see, I'll give removing the rail a serious go but not to the point where I risk damaging the rifle. Hopefully the guy who mounted the rail on my gun is less generous with loctite.

I see, I'll give removing the rail a serious go but not to the point where I risk damaging the rifle. Hopefully the guy who mounted the rail on my gun is less generous with loctite.
I think they glued mine to the receiver and used loctite on the screws for the rail. The pic rail was actually bent and warped when the gunsmith returned it to me. I had to use a solvent to get the remaining glue off the receiver. Good luck.

Judicious heat and mechanical leverage are your friends when it comes to a factory TRG pic rail.

Why would anyone glue it on? I thought that kind of behaviour was how you got your ass shipped to Guantanamo bay.

Performed at the factory I assume to remove any possibility of it coming loose in use. One of my TRG 22s did not come with the pic rail and in this instance a dovetail mount makes sense. Once you have tried to remove a TRG rail… you learn it is never coming off unintentionally in use. One is better off getting a one piece pic mount with desired moa built into the mount.

Right, I did not know they came factory equipped with pic but then it makes sense. I am fairly sure the rail on my rifle is installed post purchase so fingers crossed it is less permanently done.

It hasn’t been mentioned yet, is this the Sako installed rail or an aftermarket rail? If it is an aftermarket rail (of which there are many really good ones that are canted), why not just leave it and buy quality rings? You can easily buy 2 pair of very high quality rings for the price of 1 Spuhr mount. I prefer APA or ARC myself and have tested all generations of both brands for repeatability, they are 100% repeatable.