• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako trg 22 over AIAE

thorstenson1030

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2014
Kill Devil Hills, NC
just got off the phone with europtics and I must say they were very very helpful.
I asked them being I was just a club shooter which rifle system would be best for me between the Sako TRG 22 and AIAE both in 308. the base models were similar in price and without seeing the rifles it's hard choosing between them.
my club just recently started a 100 300 600 League and I'm excited about shooting in this league.
they thought the best rifle system for me was the TRG 22and staying in my price point they talked o me about the Bushnell Elite scope add to that a muzzle brake and a bipod oh and scope rings.
they even said they would put it all together for me and have it bore sighted before they ship it out. Just wanted to pass on the great service from Europtics. Did I mention a small discount for mentioning Snipers Hide.

I struggled with the same choice a while back and was never able to out my hands on a AE. I decided to go with which ever I found for the best price used and ended up with a trg. Been shooting it for a year or 2 and recently got to fondle an Ae mk3. I did not like it at all for me. It was heavier grip was way too small and grip to trigger distance too short. It was and uncomfortable rifle for me were as the trg fits like a glove. I am 6'5" and 215# so not a small guy. I think the AE might feel better to someone smaller. But my wife and everyone that has shot my trg feels right at home behind it. Last thing dry firing them both the trg has a better trigger. Hope that helsps

I liked the AE better. It feels more comfortable ( I am 5'9"). I have had both (plus a TRG 42). I liked the the Sako but love the AIAE. I was hesitant at first of buying the AE because I wasn't sure about the thumb hole but ended up liking it. Also I don't know if it was bc it was a long action (338 Lapua AICS) or bc it was the old style skins but the new skins feel better then the old.

Great choice, I have two TRG's and just picked up an AIAE mk3. I have to say that the AE is a pig, it weighs about 2lbs more than the TRG's and doesn't cycle as fast as my TRG's. I'm going to try to compete in long range precision with it, so only more trigger time and a competition will let me really have a good opinion.
Scott

I'm looking into getting a nice factory rifle. I'm leaning towards an AI. But love the trg.

Here's a great thread on both - I personally went with the AI (well, 2 AI's actually):cool: The TRG does weigh less and even I'll admit - has a better feeling trigger (the older model anyway, the updated TRG trigger not so much). Sako should not have fixed what wasn't broken in terms of the trigger IMHO.:confused:

I have had a TRG and currently have an AI. I sold the TRG to partly fund the AI. I really love the AI and don't have any regrets per se but I will have another TRG. My TRG was extremely accurated and I never had any trouble out of it. Same for the AI. You are looking at 2 of the absolute best factory rifles available. You will love either one. I personally prefer ther ergos of the TRG versus the AE/AW stock but how they feel should be left up to you. Keep us updated with what you choose.

The TRG is a great rifle. IMO though the TRG-22 does not need the muzzle brake. So I'd save your money and put it towards the scope/rings or a spare magazine.

If you go for the trg the factory bipod is worth every penny. I would skip the factory rings and go aftermarket. I went with the sphur mount. And I agree the factory muzzle brake is not need, I took mine off and it has been sitting in the closet. The only issue I have had is I had to raise the cheek rest and now can't remove the bolt without moving cheek riser. Not a huge deal since I mostly use bore snakes

Skip the factory brake, it is sized for the 338. It's holes through baffles are about .360", on a 308 it doesn't do as good a job. 20 thou over bullet dia is optimal for effectively taming recoil. Check with league about muzzle brake rules. If ok then pick up one from apa, i believe they make one in 18x1 metric. I always wanted a trg22, if they made one in 6.5 flavor i might have got one. I find the ergos of the AI AE better for me and the fact that my 6.5cm AE came with a bart barrel sealed the deal. After finding the best load for it the worst group shot with that load was .4something and best was .117". Had some friends over shooting at 750 yds the other day. I shot a 5 shot group of 2.6"in 8seconds@750. They were shocked at how smooth,fast, and accurate the AE is.

I have both the AI and the TRG. You will be happy with either one I like the TRG trigger better than the I and the bolt on the tRG is much slicker than the AI. I also like the ability to single feed round with the TRG magazine without having to insert it into the magazine. But I like the AI stock better. The advice on the Bushnell Elite should be strongly considered. The FFR G2DMR 3.5-21X50 scope is a great buy. I am usually a Nightforce guy but recently bought 2 more after I bought my first one.

The only thing it don't like about my AI is the twist, I wish it was a 1:10.

The TRG is a great rifle and a fine trigger system. IMO it would be nice if it weighed more as that would help with the recoil.

+1 on Eurooptic. OP I'm in the same boat as you. I actually called Eurooptic, and they said come on out, and compare the two side by side. A hands on comparison. The dude on the phone was very helpful, and professional. I will be taking a ride out there soon. Good luck with your new piece.