• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22 Re-barrel Question

scotharr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi folks,

I have been asked to rebarrel a Sako TRG-22 with a Bartlein Heavy Palma barrel. The factory barrel has a 1.160" shank versus the 1.250" shank on a palma barrel. Will a palma barrel fit into the Sako factory stock or should I turn down the shank to 1.160"? Unfortunately I do not have the stock to examine.

Thanks,
Scott

1.250" will easily clear.

The OEM barrel has ~.090" clearance per side to the closest part of the stock side.

How wide is the action? I've had a couple tikka's built and they also originally had 1.110" barrels. The tikka action is 1.2" wide, across the flats, but there is a taper/radius on the front of the receiver. This taper blended the multi flat 1.2" diameter down to the 1.11" round barrel. I had my smith square up the action and do away with the taper, then 1.2" shank barrels fit perfect. Does the trg action have the taper/radius?