• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 22 rebarrel

Doing my part

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2020
Afternoon all,

I got my hands on a Sako TRG 22 in 308 reasonably cheaply because the barrel is pretty shot out.

Before I spec a new one with my gunsmith I thought I'd check in to see if there's any advice on what I should be asking for.

I want to stay with 308, and my first thought is to go as stock (26", 1/11) buuuuut the question about potential for improvement still pokes at my brain.

I'll be shooting target up to about 1000 yards, but not competitively or anything. I would rather not go heavier as I understand this would stop the TRG bipod fitting. I'll be using a moderator so threads are a definite.

I have been shooting 175gr, but could be talked into lighter if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Krieger Remington Varmint profile is pretty darn close.
Get a 1 in 10 twist and make it 22-26", the 4" doesn't matter much on a 308.
155 or 175. The 168-ish is kind of slow or too light (though this is really being picky).

Get something, shoot it and report back.

Reactions: Doing my part
Bartlein makes a TRG profiled barrel blank - you have to call them and order it directly, as I am unaware of any retailer that stocks them.

I have a TRG profiled Bartlein blank in 6.5mm soon to be installed on mine.

Reactions: Doing my part
Hey guys, does anyone here have a shot-out S20 or TRG barrel? I'm trying to rebarrel an old FN49 battle rifle, and the tenon has the same odd M27x1.5 thread. .308 would be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers... 😅

KRG makes a TRG barrel and barrel nut. I also think PVA offers shouldered prefits for the TRG.

I did the KRG barrel and barrel nut on mine. Will probably do it again when it’s time for another barrel. Pretty easy install with go/no-go gauge once you get the factory barrel off.

KRG makes a TRG barrel and barrel nut. I also think PVA offers shouldered prefits for the TRG.

I did the KRG barrel and barrel nut on mine. Will probably do it again when it’s time for another barrel. Pretty easy install with go/no-go gauge once you get the factory barrel off.
Yeah, I could have a custom barrel turned, but I’m looking to see if I can find a shot-out one first. It’s the only rifle I load 8x57 for, and I’d ideally want to convert it over to something I load more of, like .308 or 6.5x55.

My iron-sighted, non-floated battle rifle couldn’t care less about some throat erosion 😂

Yeah, I could have a custom barrel turned, but I’m looking to see if I can find a shot-out one first. It’s the only rifle I load 8x57 for, and I’d ideally want to convert it over to something I load more of, like .308 or 6.5x55.

My iron-sighted, non-floated battle rifle couldn’t care less about some throat erosion 😂
It will probably not headspace correctly so you'll need custom work anyway...

KRG Stocks drop in TRG barrels....

Made by BRUX, etc. etc.... there are options.

Comes with a barrel nut system so you can install it yourself.

Hey guys, does anyone here have a shot-out S20 or TRG barrel? I'm trying to rebarrel an old FN49 battle rifle, and the tenon has the same odd M27x1.5 thread. .308 would be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers... 😅
Sending you PM.