• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22 Trouble

T.Defense

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2006
WV
www.tacticaldefense.net
My Sako shoots fantastic however I've been having a little trouble as of late. The Trigger mechanism was binding up so I sent it off to Beretta in MD and they promptly replaced it. Very good service. Now something else odd is going on. It only happens when you rack the bolt hard / fast...The trigger binds up completely stiff and I loose my first stage trigger. The pull is no longer 2 pounds but more like 12. if you simply raise the bolt up and back down (keeping the shell in place) all is well, the trigger returns to the normal function. It doesn't do it all the time but it does do it often when I rack the bolt hard / fast. Any ideas on this one? I'm at a loss and getting frustrated.

Thanks,
T. Defense

Re: Sako TRG-22 Trouble

Typical of the TRG trigger set to low. Adjust the second stage higher until the problem goes away, it won't take much.

This happened to mine as well, after i had reduced the pull weight on the 2nd stage of the pull. The problem with mine was that i had got a little bit of cleaning fluid into the trigger mechanism when cleaning, once i dried it out the trigger worked perfectly. Have you been cleaning the gun recently and maybe got some fluid into the trigger? if not do as Mark says and turn up the weight.

This from 338shooter might help:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Proper adjustment procedures

1. Check that the weapon is free from cartridges and remove the bolt

2. Remove trigger unit as described in the user manual and clean it thoroughly.

3. Pull the safety on and adjust first stage pull weight against the safety to approx. 0.5-0.6 kg (small hex screw behind the trigger). Use loktite (222, 243 etc.)to prevent accidental loosening of the screw.
When you have the safety pulled on you can feel the actual first stage movement of the trigger before it comes in contact with the connector inside the trigger unit.

4. Assemble the trigger unit to the weapon. Never have the bolt in the weapon when assembling and tightening the trigger unit in place. If you have it in place it will immediately cause damage to the trigger unit when sear is forced down against the connector by the cocking piece of the firing pin and cocking surfaces/ corners on the sear and connector will break/crack.

5. Adjust the final pull weight to minimum of 1.0kg (hex screw in front of the trigger). Use loktite on the screw.
Always have sufficient gap in between first and second stage pull, first stage should be approx. half of the final pull weight (0.5/1.0kg, 0.6/1.2kg etc.). If the two weights are set too close the cocking corners will get rounded and the weapon will not stay properly cocked causing hard and long single stage pull like you described.

6. After adjusting the pull weight check the functioning of the safety.
Cock the rifle and pull safety on ->bolt handle will not come up and trigger will only move the first stage travel.
Push the safety off and dry fire the rifle. Try pulling the safety on -> safety should bounce back to the front position and not stay on. If the safety engages when rifle is not cocked the safety lever inside the trigger unit is worn or too loose and should be re-tightened properly. Have trained gunsmith do this!

Do not over lubricate the internal parts of the trigger unit; small amount of very thin synthetic oil or dry lube will do the trick. Two of the most common mistakes causing problems:
Improper adjustment of the first and second stage pull set too close to each other will wear the internal parts.
Assembling of the trigger unit to the rifle with the bolt in place will immediately break the internal parts.

Hope this helps and you'll get the trigger operational again?
If you're not able to adjust the trigger properly have the cocking corners in the trigger unit checked, they may be damaged already and the pull weight will not adjust properly...</div></div>

You guys don't know how happy I am to see these replies that its common. I just had a bout with the trigger and Beretta replaced the trigger assembly. I will say when I received that new trigger and put it in I definetly noticed it was much lighter. The trigger shot fine until I would rack the slide hard and then it got goffy again. This weapon is one of my favorite weapons and this has had me worried. I will try the suggestions and post back. There is only one thing that still concerns me. I did at one point trying to figure this out put the trigger in while the bolt was still in. There appears to be nothing wrong, feels the same and acts the same as it always did. Nothing abnormal from the way it was working. Once I did it It was only like that for a second and I took the trigger out without moving the bolt. All seems fine, should I worry???

Thanks again,
T. Defense

Also in the process of solving this trigger issue I have had to dry fire the weapon quite a few times, which is something I abhor on any gun. Is dry firing an issue with this weapon? I don't want anything else going wrong, as I've stated I love this weapon.

Thanks,
T. Defense

Re: Dry-firing, I would definitely buy or make a snap cap. TRG firing pins can and do break.

Re: Trigger, I wanted to lower my second stage pressure to well below 1kg so contacted Sako for advice. Their reply was:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG-trigger is a single lever design and made for 1-2kg trigger weight, if adjusted too low pressure inside builds & drop safety feature starts to work and pull will come very stiff and long.

Replacing factory springs with other than original factory parts is not recommended.</div></div>

Once again, great info, thank you. I've adjusted the second stage up and will give it a try today. So far the problem looks to be gone!!! I will report back.

Thanks again to all for the help.

T. Defense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beezaur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How durable is the trigger?

Scott </div></div>

Like a panzer, they are Rock tight

I have another sako TRG-22 trigger question.

How far out can you loosen the screw for the first stage? And can the second stage screw come all the way out to put some lock tight on it? Feels like a spring is pushing on the second stage and I don't want a spring to fall out. I tuned mine so that the first stage went a few threads back than factory and turned the second one until it felt like it was going to come out and turned it in a few rotations, although the screw it self seems to have a little side to side play and that is why I would like to put some lock tight on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have another sako TRG-22 trigger question.

How far out can you loosen the screw for the first stage? And can the second stage screw come all the way out to put some lock tight on it? Feels like a spring is pushing on the second stage and I don't want a spring to fall out. I tuned mine so that the first stage went a few threads back than factory and turned the second one until it felt like it was going to come out and turned it in a few rotations, although the screw it self seems to have a little side to side play and that is why I would like to put some lock tight on it. </div></div>

I think there is a spring and plunger under that adjustment screw in the rear of the trigger.

I also wouldn't put lock tight especially on that little screw otherwise you run the risk of rounding the screw head. If you decide you must put thread locker then get the purple lock tight as the blue might be too stiff. Definitely don't use the red I guarantee you'll round the screw head trying to adjust it.

To be honest I wouldn't leave the adjustment screw that far out. Turn it another full turn in and don't worry about it. A lighter break isn't always better.
wink.gif

Tag on this thread. After I started having problems I took off the trigger group and put it back on with the bolt still in.

Lesson learned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag on this thread. After I started having problems I took off the trigger group and put it back on with the bolt still in.

Lesson learned. </div></div>

what kind of damage is it doing to the trigger group? is it still functional? repairable?

i took mine off and back in a few times when i first got my rifle. i didnt know it would damage it if installed or taken out with the bolt in.

i cant remember if i had the bolt in or out. i know it works fine now, so im assuming i must have had the bolt out.

i called beretta and buy a back up and they wouldnt sell me one. they referred me to brownells and they were out of stock and costs damn near 500 bucks for the trigger group.

im hoping the thing will last a long damn time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyena74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag on this thread. After I started having problems I took off the trigger group and put it back on with the bolt still in.

Lesson learned. </div></div>

what kind of damage is it doing to the trigger group? is it still functional? repairable?

i took mine off and back in a few times when i first got my rifle. i didnt know it would damage it if installed or taken out with the bolt in.

i cant remember if i had the bolt in or out. i know it works fine now, so im assuming i must have had the bolt out.

i called beretta and buy a back up and they wouldnt sell me one. they referred me to brownells and they were out of stock and costs damn near 500 bucks for the trigger group.

im hoping the thing will last a long damn time! </div></div>

I was having some troubles earlier on. I would pull the trigger and I would get a slight "click". The bolt would cock slightly up and to the side ever so slightly. I could see that the firing pin had moved "slightly" (the red marking on the back of the bolt). I then had the option of using gorilla strength to fire the weapon or recock and try again. After this happening after every shot is when I pulled the trigger group with the bolt of and I believe I mounted it back on with the bolt on. When I first had the issue I gave it a good cleaning and it worked great for about 60 rounds at which point it started to fail again.

OK here is the latest update on the trigger saga and hopefully this will help you guys. I currently have in my 3rd trigger group. First one from the factory is why I started the tread and needs no more explanation. For the second one I contacted the factory (Beretta USA) and sent them my trigger group and they promptly sent me another one, which I replaced. Worked great for about 50-60 rounds and then it acted up again. Seemed to get that way when ever I was working the bolt fast during say timed firing drills. Frustrated beyond belief I contacted them again and they wanted the whole gun! Just so you know it sucks to send out one of your prized customized weapon even being a dealer myself I HATE to ship out my own guns. Prior to sending it out I checked everything with a Lyman Trigger Pull Gauge used and tried all the tricks from fellow hide members in an effort not to have to ship out the gun. Well everything failed so I took off all the goodies and packaged up the gun and sent it to Beretta. A few weeks later (Which I thought was a pretty good turn around time) it arrived back. The trigger has been fantastic THANK THE GOOD LORD with no issues. So here are my conclusions. Someone in this tread mentioned if you put the trigger group in with the bolt your screwed and I think that is how I might have screwed up the second one. That is my only guess. The other possibility is that Beretta found something else and fixed it. Either way they replaced the trigger group. One thing I might mention is when I got the gun back it had what appeared to be vice marks on the barrel. It didn't bother me because the gun was going to APA for a barrel change, which by the way Jered at APA did an absolutely AMAZING job on the gun, I highly recommend APA for any of your TRG needs. So in the end I'm a happy camper and Beretta came through. Hope this helps.
Regards,
T.Defense

I talked to a service rep.. He was a bit short staffed and they are taking care of me!

UPS should be picking up my baby tomorrow.

I believe I had the same problem at the range today;however, I would like to see what you all have to say.

Maybe 30-40 rounds prior I adjusted the second stage lighter before I had an issue. I chambered a new round began to pull the trigger and it was noticeably heavier pull. I then immediately stopped and tried to engage the safety (which would not engage). At that point I knew something was wrong, so I unloaded the weapon, removed the bolt, and broke down the bolt to inspect it everything was fine.

At that point I turned my attention to the trigger group and assumed it had something to due with the second stage since that was all that I had adjusted. I think I did two or three full turns (to tighten the second stage) then attempt to fire on a snap cap. The firing pinned dropped finished my shooting for the day.

Back home I wanted to readjust the second stage to make it lighter, (perhaps went over board at the range) and found I was able to create the same problem on the range. My conclusion is that the screw loosens upon firing, but my concern is more firing may make the problem worse.

Any comments from anyone else?

Any thoughts about the problem becoming worse?

Thanks in advance

I have adjusted my 42 too light and the 2nd stage would not activate. I noticed it as I was playing with all of the trigger adjustments and simply screwed it back in and it has been fine for 80+ .338 rounds so far. I haven't measured it but I would say I have it right at the 2-2 1/2 lb range. I'd like to have it lighter and I've seen where MTGuns offers a Barnard replacement that I've thought about trying out.