• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 42 .338 LM

tkifer

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2008
California
Any of you TRG 42 owners out there have any specific ideas for barrel break-in on a new TRG 442 338 LM?

Re: Sako TRG 42 .338 LM

I have 20 rounds through mine so far. I noticed that the precision really started to tighten up on rounds 15 thru 20. I *might* drag a bore snake through it at 50 rounds.

Bang method works the best! Make it go bang, it's broke in. I have 227 rounds through it and it's only has had dry patch down it.

I break mine in by shooting 5, cleaning, shooting 5, cleaning etc etc.I shot about 80 rounds doing this. It may be overkill but with my high end rifles, well hell they are all high end, I like to do as my local barrel maker suggests. It does make cleaning much quicker so to me it is worth the effort. Don't bother with Chrome lined barrels. I clean first with hoppes #9 and then with sweets 762. Don't let the sweets sit there too long.I ruined a barrel by storing my ar15 horizontally after cleaning and some had accumulated in the gas port and dripped slowly and eroded the opposite side of the barrel. Somehow I lucked out and got it replaced under warranty.