• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 42 Feed issue

p_pops

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2013
WI
New TRG out at the range. Loaded the 5 rnd mag to full capacity, tried to cycle the action and the round wouldn't feed. From observation it appears the bullet is getting hung up on the feed ramp.

I removed the mag, took a round out (now only 4) and tried to push the bolt forward. Same issue.

Took another round out (now only 3 rnds in the mag) and tried to push the bolt forward. The round fed cleanly and easily. No issue feeding the last 2 rounds from the mag.

Repeated the test 2 more times and found the same issue.

When I got it home and removed the firing pin (for safety reasons of cycling live rounds) I could see how the rounds were getting hung up on the feed ramp and leaving a little trail of copper. I inspected the magazine and did notice a tiny little burr right on one of the feed lips from the magazine. I removed the burr and was able to get all 5 rounds to cycle but those first 2 still seemed a little difficult.

One thing I did notice is that with the mag fully loaded the nose of the top round doesn't appear to ride as high as when there are only 2-3 rounds left. I have no way to measure the difference given it's location.

Overall length was 3.595 and it was a factory load. The bullet was an 300gr SMK.

One other observation was that there was a line of brass coming off in the bottom of the bolt. I presume this is where the bottom of the bolt is riding on top of the top most round in the mag?

So, this obviously doesn't seem to be normal operation. Thoughts and suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance. I did take some pictures of the rounds failing to feed and will post them when I get a chance.