• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-42 in .338LM...

cms81586

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2005
AZ
So I have a TRG-22 which has been an excellent rifle. It's extrememly accurate with more than a few loads I've used and has never let me down. I'm ready to move into the .338 game and I was going to go custom until I found out that Sako is now producing the 42 with a 1/10" twist that will stabilize 300gr bullets. As pleased as I am with my 22...should I get a 42 as well? $3200 for a green/phosphate TRG-42 in .338 with a 1/10" barrel or a little less for a custom rifle? I see no reason not to get the 42. Do I need talked out of it or should I go with it?

CMS

Re: Sako TRG-42 in .338LM...

I was also looking at a TRG-42 but thought it was a little pricey so went with a custom. I now have 9k into that custom so the TRG isn't looking that pricey after all! If you can build what you want for under the price of the TRG I would go that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cms81586</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I have a TRG-22 which has been an excellent rifle. It's extrememly accurate with more than a few loads I've used and has never let me down. I'm ready to move into the .338 game and I was going to go custom until I found out that Sako is now producing the 42 with a 1/10" twist that will stabilize 300gr bullets. As pleased as I am with my 22...should I get a 42 as well? $3200 for a green/phosphate TRG-42 in .338 with a 1/10" barrel or a little less for a custom rifle? I see no reason not to get the 42. Do I need talked out of it or should I go with it?

CMS </div></div>

Seeing as you have a 22 I would get the 42. It's the same system your already familiar with and know you like. Thats what i would. If you wanna try something different then get a custom any way you want it.

Been down that road! I am sticking to one system, so I have a 22 and a 42 .338 LM. Going to get rid of the other stuff I have and practice on nothing but the TRG. If you like your 22, then you will not regret the 42. Mine is amazing accurate and all I shoot are the 300 gr. Sierra's.

how are the trg in 338 for hand loads
do the mags give room for seating depth?
what is the max o.a.l that will still fit in the mag?

max o.a.l. for the mag is 3.750". I have not played with seating depth. I usally load to 3.650 with the 300's.

do you get better accuracy with the 300smks than the 250 scenars?
i am waiting on some factory lapua 250's but i am trying to figure out what bullets to get for some hand loads.

I have found that in my 42, the scenars shoot better then the matchkings. Barns MRX's in 250 shoot the best (great hunting bullet) But they are very spendy.

the trg i have is a tack driver and have settled on a load for the .250 smk's and scenars .....H-4831 93.5 grains with the cartridge sitting just inside the mag. i was able to take a deer @ 1,350 yards this year and yes i have a witness. and its so much fun to shoot coyotes and rock chucks with!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gabriel.338lapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the trg i have is a tack driver and have settled on a load for the .250 smk's and scenars .....H-4831 93.5 grains with the cartridge sitting just inside the mag. i was able to take a deer @ 1,350 yards this year and yes i have a witness. and its so much fun to shoot coyotes and rock chucks with! </div></div>

Thats awesome
laugh.gif

Make sure you also get one of those inexpensive folding stocks; you never know when it may come in handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gabriel.338lapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the trg i have is a tack driver and have settled on a load for the .250 smk's and scenars .....H-4831 93.5 grains with the cartridge sitting just inside the mag. i was able to take a deer @ 1,350 yards this year and yes i have a witness. and its so much fun to shoot coyotes and rock chucks with! </div></div>

Really, this sounds trollish, but if you are even taking shots at a deer at 1350 yards you have some ethics issues. Maybe that is just me...

As to the OP, I just received a TRG-22 and think the TRG series is the best bang for the buck you can ever get in a factory rifle. Definitely go with the 42 to keep commonality of weapon systems.

Josh

Dude, that sure looks like you are posting a for sale ad covertly. We do not need those kind of shenanigans...

Josh

51 post. WAIT UNTIL THEN. Thats the rules. until that u can be Oscar Mike elswhere with ur undercover sales ad

The TRG offers everything I'd be looking for in a precision rifle anyhow. The only thing I'd like is a heavier barrel, which can be solved when it's time for a new tube. They're listening to customers and have changed the barrel twist rate to 1/10 to stabilize 300gr bullets, and with Near's new lugged bases, there are no issues with using "other than factory" optics mounting options. I feel that it's the best option but I just wanted to see if anyone thought differently, since .338 is a whole different beast than the .308. Thanks for the help so far guys!

CMS