• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 42 or AX338 or AWM

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Already love the AI. Have a mk2 which I plan on upgrading to an AT. I would like something in the 338/300 Norma range. Considering a TRG 42 or an older ax338 or AWM. Love the AI period but also really like the TRG trigger. Any suggestions? Anyone own both and have input? Thanks

I love my AT but just grabbed one of the clearance DT SRS A1's and like it a lot so far.

I have a 308 kit with a 300WM kit being delivered on Monday.

You could look at getting a clearance AXMC too for $6750ish right now.

I may actually sell my AT but that isn't a decision I will be taking lightly.

Get the clearance priced AXMC and the get the competition trigger for it.

Don't get an AWSM unless you plan on never using the magazine and don't mind single feeding it. It will not feed C.I.P. rounds. Not that it won't shoot good at the shorter seating depth.

I think the AXMC is your ticket here. Especially with the recent price drop. I own all three. The TRG-42 is an amazing rifle also. In my opinion one of the best factory bipod designs ever.

With your options that you have laid out I don't think you can wrong. It's really what you feel fits you best, not what we think. Just don't budget for the rifle alone and then go and throw some craptastic glass on it.

Lol. Define crap tastic glass? I was thinking the Leupold mk5. Good reviews so far and light weight. What about the ax338? I had my eye on this one but didn't have the funds at the time.
https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-pre-2014-not-multi-cal.6921684/#post-7525817.
The other consideration is frequency usage... I would get to go above 1k about once every three months or so. So with that in mind and also considering price.i. Maybe leaning TRG (used) over the used ai? I think I have seen trgs for less than the ai big boys on here.
Again sorry if I am rambling just trying to sort all this on my head

AXMC has been well covered here and you can't go wrong if that's what you really want.

With a little patience though you could buy a barely used TRG42 for under $3k. That's an awful big price difference vs even the clearence AXMC. Hell you could even pick up a used TRG22 or AI AT with the amount of cash you would be saving.

AXMC has been well covered here and you can't go wrong if that's what you really want.

With a little patience though you could buy a barely used TRG42 for under $3k. That's an awful big price difference vs even the clearence AXMC. Hell you could even pick up a used TRG22 or AI AT with the amount of cash you would be saving.

You make a valid point and the TRG-42 is a great gun as well.

Had them all, get the AI
Trgs are a little lighter trigger is just as good if not better, and just as accurate
I personally never got comfortable behind the trg, that's the main reason I got rid of it
Can't go wrong with either but AI you don't have to choose between a LM or a NM, just order a new barrel and your done

Lol. Define crap tastic glass? I was thinking the Leupold mk5. Good reviews so far and light weight. What about the ax338? I had my eye on this one but didn't have the funds at the time.
https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-pre-2014-not-multi-cal.6921684/#post-7525817.
The other consideration is frequency usage... I would get to go above 1k about once every three months or so. So with that in mind and also considering price.i. Maybe leaning TRG (used) over the used ai? I think I have seen trgs for less than the ai big boys on here.
Again sorry if I am rambling just trying to sort all this on my head

Leupold MK5 is a fine optic, can't go wrong there. I'm talking like a damn Counter Sniper or some Cabella's trash. You didn't mention originally what you were doing for glass so I had to throw that in. I also wouldn't worry about optic weight that much on a 338LM. Get what you like but equally important, get the reticle that you want.

The AX338 (pre-AXMC) could probably be had for around the same price as a TRG-42 these days.

I think the real decision is between the ax338 and try 42. I would love to have an axmc but don't get to shoot often enough to justify the price. Also I would love so sell my mkii and get the at. So the plan is by the end of this year own a "mag" rifle and an AT. Currently have a Steiner t5xi...I like it but not opposed to getting a mk5 for the new rifle.
Thanks for indulging me guys.
Lol also have two FN 308 actions sitting in the basement waiting for stocks and barrels...it's for the kids.... So bolt gun rich and cash poor.

It is a personal decision thing IMO. I have owned 2 AW's 1 AT, and 2 TRG's. For me the TRG is my favorite turn bolt rifle ever made, it checks all the boxes. I agree the TRG bipod is hands down the BEST bipod ever made.

I have a friend who has a TRG 42 338LM in an APO chassis that may be interested in selling. If you get serious I can ask him if he wants to sell it (he never shoots it) and there are not all that many out there in the APO coming up for sale around here. It is a bad ass rifle! Just a thought, I have no dog in the fight.

Interesting ng...are there any pictures of the try in apo? chassis floating about

Last edited:
I had a TRG .338LM and sold it long ago to get an AWSM which I liked better.

At the local gun store a guy has a TRG in .338LM up for sale for the mid $4k mark with his very decent group sample shots.

The prices I see try 42 go for..I don't think I can afford not to buy one. Especially since I won't get to go super long very often.
I played with the idea of selling my mkii and just buying at axmc..but I would still have to throw in another 1500 or so to shoot a short action caliber. That's over 8k even with current axmc prices.
So the new "line up" will be a Sako try 42 and an aiat (sell my mkii and get the aiat)

The prices I see try 42 go for..I don't think I can afford not to buy one. Especially since I won't get to go super long very often.
I played with the idea of selling my mkii and just buying at axmc..but I would still have to throw in another 1500 or so to shoot a short action caliber. That's over 8k even with current axmc prices.
So the new "line up" will be a Sako try 42 and an aiat (sell my mkii and get the aiat)
For the price of the AIAT + TRG42 you could get the AXMC and have some change left over. The AXMC will run everything from 6.5 CM to 338 Lap. I love my AT but the AXMC may displace it.

For the price of the AIAT + TRG42 you could get the AXMC and have some change left over. The AXMC will run everything from 6.5 CM to 338 Lap. I love my AT but the AXMC may displace it.
Sorry, I didn't read your last post all the way through. The AXMC I ordered yesterday came to $6085 shipped. In addition, AJ is kicking in 4% cash back, bringing the OOP to $5842. With $1500 for a SA kit, that brings the total up to $7342.
A folding AT will run $4500, plus $2700 for the TRG for a grand total of $7200. Really close. However, with the 2-gun option you have to shell out for two scopes.
Downside to the 1-gun scenario: you have to keep track of your zero adjustments for the different calibers, and be willing to wait 5-8 weeks for Brownells to ship to your FFL.