• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG 42?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am deciding what to do for a .338 Lapua.

In reading about the TRG I have heard that the twist rate isn't fast enough to stabilize the 300 gr. smk. Is this true?

I have heard that the solutions available for mounting a 34mm tubed scope are unreliable and fragile. How accurate is this?

How good of a rifle is this when compared to the AI or a custom build? Pro's and Con's?

Thanks

Re: Sako TRG 42?

You might want to do a search but I am pretty sure they recently went to a faster twist that will handle the 300's.

There have been a couple threads on it here

The search will offer you many opinions on the rifle but I can tell you that I had one and have another on the way. Older models came with 1:12 twist which makes stabilizing 300 grain bullets difficult. I have heard that some of the newer ones are 1:10 which will do much better. I personally would rather have American Precision Arms install a 1:9.3 Broughton barrel, that worked great on my last one.
Accessories are on the expensive side but there is plenty of aftermarket toys to go around. Near Manufacturing makes a great scope rail as well as solid 3 ring mount, either one will get the job done. Factory bipod is wicked expensive and may not work if you install a larger aftermarket barrel but in the factory setup I found that it is a better choice than a Harris. I may argue that it isn't that much better to warrant the cost though. Keep you eyes open for Accushot to come out with a bipod and rear monopod soon.
Ergonomically the TRG-42 fits me better than any other rifle which is why I stick with it. There may be better alternatives out there but being comfortable with the rifle you are shooting goes a long way. Hope this helps and good luck.

This topic is interesting to me. I am going to be in the market for a 338 at some point and i have looked at both rifles. Seams like the AI, is a real bad ass gun, more accesories avaliable probably a little better fit and finish etc, but if both guns will shoot the same groups or perform the same, the AIAW begins to be a little hard to justify at double the cost of the sako. I might get a chance to shoot a sako coming up and I will see how I like it.

CJG

I would say the AI has the advantage of being more durable under the roughest conditions. Sako parts may be a little hard to come by but overall the setup should be a little cheaper. When it comes down to it, both will ruin someone's day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1a convert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have heard that the solutions available for mounting a 34mm tubed scope are unreliable and fragile. How accurate is this?
Thanks </div></div>

Get a Near 25MOA base and your pick of 34mm Badger rings. Nothing unreliable with either. So the accuracy of "unreliable and fragile" is BS.