• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sako TRG advice

lambsey

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
Wales,uk
Hi all, from across the pond.

Looking at getting a TRG22 rebarrelled in 6.5x47, has anybody had problems with them peircing the primers, or any other issues?

cheers

Re: Sako TRG advice

All the TRG I have heard of do just fine with the x47 rounds. Yo should do ok with it. Mine will be wearing a barrel with that scratched on the side soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tex762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you thinking of getting it done? </div></div>

He is getting his TRG-22 chambered in 6.5x47. He is worried about the issue of the firing pin having issues with the small rifle primer that 6.5 x 47 uses.

The easiest way to find out if you will have primer puncture issues is to get some of the Palma Lapua .308 brass that uses small rifle primers and fire some before you do the barrel change.

What contour barrel are you getting???
I am thinking about having mine rebarreled for .260 over winter.

TRG's have a small diameter firing pin so you will be fine. I would be concerned with it ejecting. It doesn't eject cartridges shorter than the 308 family very well. I was going to do one in 6x47 but it wouldn't eject every time. The added diameter of the 6.5 neck may be just enough to make it reliable, but I would confirm before sinking money into a barrel.

Any idea on why it has these ejection problems? It must be be length related correct?

It has to do with the lugs being large and since it's a 3 lug there is a lug cutout right where the case gets pulled. The lugs are much larger than an AI is why they don't have the problem og ejecting shorter cases.

What contour barrel do you plan to use?

Thank you,

Stefan73,

A Medium Palma contour is very close to the factory barrel, but a Heavy Palma will work if you need more meat.

A medium Palma will have less muzzle diameter albeit not much when finished at 26" like standard TRG 22. The factory chassis will take a LOT more if you desire. I built 6xc using medium Palma Bartlein and If I did again would go heavy Palma or other heavier contour.

If you are going to use a Sako bipod, or the Atlas mount that replaces the TRG bipod mount, you will have to mil on the barrel to get it to clear if you go with anything heavier than a Medium Palma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to use a Sako bipod, or the Atlas mount that replaces the TRG bipod mount, you will have to mil on the barrel to get it to clear if you go with anything heavier than a Medium Palma. </div></div>

Not true if you use one of these adapters:

trgadapter.jpg

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...779#Post3516779

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to use a Sako bipod, or the Atlas mount that replaces the TRG bipod mount, you will have to mil on the barrel to get it to clear if you go with anything heavier than a Medium Palma. </div></div>

Sorry, but your information is erroneous, a Heavy Palma will clear the Atlas mount with no problem.

GAP just put one on mine and there is about .035-.038" clearance to the mounting plate.

I'm not familiar with the SAKO bipod clearance.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like medium contour unless I get an Atlas bipod.
I might just look at getting more then one barrel cut for my winter project.

Thank you for the information!!

V/R
Stefan

That is not true. My med palma measures .920" diameter at the point closest to top of a factory TRG bipod which leaves at least .070" before interfere. It will dang near take 1" diameter at that point but not quite. You sure as heck wouldn't mill on a barrel if it did interfere. I could clearance in 20 minutes if I had to and you would never know.

My heavy palma Brux hits on mine. I had to have it milled down. My chassis is older so that may have something to do with it, but I don't know why that would make a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My heavy palma Kreiger hits on mine. I had to have it milled down. My chassis is older so that may have something to do with it, but I don't know why that would make a difference. </div></div>
Just one of those mysteries I guess. It may have something to do with the length of barrel blank started with. Mine started as 28" to finish at 26. If starting with a longer blank and finishing at 26" may effect diameter at bipod area would be easy to figure. I do know my medium is thinner at the muzzle than a factory 26.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be concerned with it ejecting. It doesn't eject cartridges shorter than the 308 family very well</div></div>
I've had 2 6.5x47 barrels on a TRG and both suffered from poor ejection no matter how hard you ran the bolt. I never pierced a primer though. I would stick with 308 based cartridges. I had no issues with the .260 or .243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mac37</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be concerned with it ejecting. It doesn't eject cartridges shorter than the 308 family very well</div></div>
I've had 2 6.5x47 barrels on a TRG and both suffered from poor ejection no matter how hard you ran the bolt. I never pierced a primer though. I would stick with 308 based cartridges. I had no issues with the .260 or .243. </div></div>

That would definately not be acceptable with other rounds out there that can match or exceed the 6.5x47 easily. The TRG action will function 100% with 243 class but like you stated case can't be a stubby. I have a 6xc that I cant make malfunction and a 260 same way. The 260 dosen't give up anything to the 47 even loaded light. And with Lapua brass will over whelm it.

I would rebarrel in .260, the lapua may have some feeding issues from the mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the lapua may have some feeding issues from the mag</div></div>

Never experienced any feeding issues

If you are going to use a Sako bipod, or the Atlas mount that replaces the TRG bipod mount, you will have to mil on the barrel to get it to clear if you go with anything heavier than a Medium Palma.

Old thread, but is there anyway you could post a picture of the milling that was done on your rifle for the Sako bipod clearance?

Hi Guys,

Quick update.

1 x TRG re-barrelled with Bartlein Heavy Palma with 1 in 8 twist in 6.5x47

Only very early days yet, but no problems with primers or ejection at present.

Very pleased.

6.5 Creedmoor's run great, and so should a 6 CM. The biggest problem ive seen is milling on the barrel to get the bipod to fit and mag failures.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

6.5 Creedmoor's run great, and so should a 6 CM. The biggest problem ive seen is milling on the barrel to get the bipod to fit and mag failures.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Anyway you could post a picture of the machining done to the barrel for bipod clearance? I need to figure out what to do with mine and would like to see how much needs to come off.