• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG Bipod

Numn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
UT
I've searched for a while and can't find much on subject. Those that have them, how do you like your Sako TRG bipod and why? Does it pivot for cant and if so does it lock? Do the legs lock in indexed positions or infinite adjustment? Currently using an Atlas on my AR10 that I'm happy with. For TRG build I'm debating between TRG bipod or rail under the stock with an Atlas on QD mount.

Re: Sako TRG Bipod

I've got for on my TRG22. Its built like a tank....really heavy duty. Yes, it pivots for cant, but it does not lock. The legs are notch adjustable, the feet are great in grass and dirt, not good on concrete or wood decking.

I like how the rifle "hangs below" the bipod, and how stable it is, but I have decided I like a Harris with the pod lock better. That is what is on my rifle now. I'm relatively new to shooting off of bipods, so I'm keeping both the TRG and Harris bipods, and as my experience grows, I'll make my call as to which to stick with.

i use the harris adapter and bi-pod on my trg22 and love the setup, but i dont know any differen. the factorybi-pod looks really cool, but since my setup aint broke, i aint fixin it. you said you are doing a trg build? are you not just going to buy a trg?

I really like the feel of mine but 1 notch taller would be mucho useful. I have a harris adapter but it doesn't seem as stable.

And I have broken the weld on the leg of mine twice!!! At the same match consecutive years! Second time was a poor repair weld on my part.

I like the sako bipod because my rifle is swung below the pivet point supports and I can ajust for cant for follow up shots without having to unlock the bipod with a leaver or knob and the rifle not being locked in for cant is not a problem for me because my rifle is swung in a saddle not flooping around on top of a bipod like a harris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not wait for the trg spigot from Atlas . Thats what I'm doing. </div></div>
Yes! I wish they would come out with it!
I use the Harris #6 stud adapter in the rail with a Harris bipod. It works well, but I wish I could get the bipod further forward. This would help in stability. I've seen a few home made inserts that go in the forend.

Yeah I'm using a harris with the stud adaptor too. I've used the sako bipod and its good - but not enough to warrant buying one for myself.

I haven't had a lot of time behind the TRG and Sako pod (yet), but right away I didn't like the ability of the rifle to "cant" on its own, and inability to lock it down. I ended up placing an "O" ring between the two bipod parts. It applies enough pressure that it stops the side to side canting and pretty much causes the rifle to self center in the pod. However if I need to, I can over ride the effect with slight pressure on the rifle.

I too like the build quality. but is it worth the bucks? not sure.

I have two...one on my TRG22 and one on my TRG42. I was able to tighten mine down enough to get it stable (which you can do with the O ring) and you over-ride it when you want. I also built some rubber feet with teeth and attached to the foot plates...made a huge difference.

I got my TRG bipod in a couple days ago actually. I was very hesitant about buying it. Who wants to pay $450 for a freakin bipod?

Now that I have it, I have to say it is really top quality. It may look a bit skinny, but it is super heavy duty steel, extremely sturdy, and it just lego snaps into your stock in 2 seconds (doesn't barrel mount, as is perhaps suggested in photos).

I also have a Harris, and there is no comparison. If you get the TRG bipod, it will be immediately apparent how tinny and cheap the Harris is in comparison.

Re: all metal feet, I just put some rubber industrial stickers on the metal feet for bench.

Is it worth it? Right now, I'm looking at money I could have saved on SS rings, instead of Badger. That was probably unnecessay. But this bipod....very happy with it.

Nik

TRG bipod is VERY good. Of course you can get by with Harris, Versa-Pod, Parker-Hale etc.

Whether 450 USD is a lot or not so lot depends. Here in Finland I would have to pay 150 Euroa for a Harris LMR-S 9-13" model with Pod-Lock and ca. 300 Euros for TRG-bipod. I already have both and use them both but my next rifle will have a TRG-adapter on it´s McM A5 stock. If that says something. I do have a real steal-version of Parker-Hale too. Too heavy, too high barrell line above the bipod. -> TRG bipod is WAY ahead of Parker-Hale.

I wish somebody made a quality copy of TRG bipod for 150 Euros or less but so far no one has offered anything like it. It is NOT copyright or model protected so anybody can copy it and sell it anywhere in the world. The copy must be cheaper to make any sales though.

Harris bipod 'tinny and cheap' ?

I think that many including myself would disagree with you there.

The Sako bipod is certainly very stable and the low center of gravity is a bonus. However it is heavier than the Harris and it's ability to fold forward or backward without locking can be a problem. I have witnessed someone 'loading' the trg bipod and have it fold upon him during a timed competition. Haven't managed that myself but it is something to be aware of if you're used to 'loading' a Harris.

As I said before I am going to go down the Atlas route when the TRG spigot becomes available. Center of gravity won't be quite as good as the sako pod but will be better than the Harris under the stock. Plus Kasey makes a good product and I am willing to give it a go having seen good reviews, and experiencing good service from accu shot in the past.

Whoops, didn't mean to dis the Harris. Should have chosen words more carefully there. I like the Harris, and I was happy using it. I'm just personally wowed by the Sako bipod, and I'll leave it at that.
Nik

<span style="font-style: italic">wish somebody made a quality copy of TRG bipod for 150 Euros or less but so far no one has offered anything like it. It is NOT copyright or model protected so anybody can copy it and sell it anywhere in the world. The copy must be cheaper to make any sales though.</span>

the things cost nearly 500€ RRP here in Germany, you can pick em up for 450€.
weve got a copy, which is improved over the original for 375€ (including the taxes)
Pete

Hi Pete !

What improvements have you made to the TRG-bipod ?

I have earlier seen your AICS-type stock system on a Tikka T3 Varmint and your 34mm 1-piece scope base. Pretty impressive stuff !

I picked mine up cheaply when I bought a used TRG - it's good but not worth retail price IMO. I've overcome the resistance and had it fold on loading when the legs are fully extended and giving a lot of leverage- i'm loading way too much and need to back off.

I'll try the 0 ring idea, I'd like more resistance on cant.

Came accross this recently, looks promising....

http://www.ouluntyostokeskus.com/supports.htm

TC

Does anybody have an idea why Sako changed the bipod design?

I've noticed that there are two TRG bipods, a "newer" slightly narrower one, and a wider "older" design....

Anyone?

Sako makes a good bipod, of course the strongest selling feature is the "cradle" effect coupled with the spigot mount making it good stuff. I'm not a fan of the steel feet, there is no pan nor tension adjustment available and I find it a bit tall.

Regarding the Atlas spigot for the TRG, first thanks for the support and patience, the TRG spigot, our part number BT21 is being prototyped now and I hope to have these parts in the next few days. However, our last run of Atlas bipods is sold out so with luck, the TRG Spigot production and next batch of bipods will be ready at the same time. If interested, we do have a TRG contact list, just email me at; [email protected] and tell me you want on it then we'll contact you when ready.

The all-metal feet can slide on a hard surface. Here's one solution (my camera does poorly on close-up), layering rubber stickers onto the feet.
STA_0289.jpg

TonyC, This is how I changed the bipod. It made things a lot more stable. Of course you can try different O rings of various thicknesses to achieve the "feel" you want. I cut a slight V into the ring so that the bolt would go through both parts. Otherwise I couldn't align them.

PAS_0005.jpg

PAS_0006.jpg

PAS_0007.jpg

BTW: Terge is working on a prototype set of slide on cleats for the TRG bipod feet. They look REAL promising...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW: Terge is working on a prototype set of slide on cleats for the TRG bipod feet. They look REAL promising... </div></div>

Do you have pic?

Those are pretty badass SE - how'd you go about making them?

Here is a picture of Terge's prototype... (This is not for sale, and he's not indicated when they will be available.)

ubbthreads.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are pretty badass SE - how'd you go about making them? </div></div>

I went to the auto parts store and bought a package of the semi-hard rubber blocks that you stick in coil/leaf springs. Then a quick trip to the hardware store for metric panhead screws and lock nuts. I cut the blocks and the teeth with a jigsaw then adjusted and smoothed them with a belt sander. It took a little time to make all four and get them the same size but it was worth it since they seem to stick and bite in to any surface I have used them on. They work great!

GBMaryland, gotcha.

If I could learn to measure and then remember to transfer said measurements when making "Slight" changes, that item would already be ready.... late September is best i can claim.

I have used the TRG bipod for some years now and I realy like it.
There is only 2 things I would change if it was possible.
The first, the weigth of the bipod, a aluminium or titan version?
second, When I am carrying the rifle with the bipod on, I would like that the bipod "cradle" was locked when the feet was forward or backward.

The crandle is self locking when you push the rifle forward.
I realy like this self locking crandle.

Bipod feet,

In some cases I prefere that I have rubber under the bipod feet.
But out in the field I prefere the orginale steel claw.

In some time now I have work with some different rubberpod under the TRG bipod.
My first rubberpod was fasten with 2 M3 bolt that you needed tools to get on and of the rubberpod.

Now I working with some slip on rubberpod that you don`t need any tools to get in on and off.

Here are some new pic of my last modifications before I paint the feet black:
IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

As you can see on the pic, I have some different rubbersolution on the feet, and I am not sure what rubbersolution I want to use yet.

ericf,
Interesting idea with the O-ring.
I will give that a try.

I just use a couple of rubber feet intended for the bottom of guitar amps fixed though a hole drilled through the foot with a hex head bolt.

That said, Terje does good work !

TC

I guess I've always been someone that doesn't want to do anything to equipment that can't be "undone".
Hence, the O ring. It can be easily undone, nothing is permanent.
As to the feet, I took a piece of automotive fuel tubing (about 1.5 inches) and sliced it open, then used an industrial hotglue gun to stick it, covering the "talons" of the foot. They can be simply pulled off, yet it protects the surfaces of the spouses tabletop (heaven help us), and prevents concrete rash when shooting at the bench. Also keeps the feet from contacting the barrel when installing the pod. Keep it simple.

ericf many thanks for your o ring solution.

My only complaint of my trg bipod, was it's flopping around like a recently landed salmon.

I put an O ring in based on your post, and what an improvement.

Thanks again.

If you're shooting competitively buy a Harris. The Sako bi-pods were designed for basically military use. They don't lock which is needed for competitions. They are heavy duty, but with that price tag...it's really up to you. I have one and don't use it. I prefer the Harris since it is more steady for my match shooting.

Rooster

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but whatever happened to the BT21 adapter for the TRG? I noticed that it still isn't up on the Accushot web site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sako makes a good bipod, of course the strongest selling feature is the "cradle" effect coupled with the spigot mount making it good stuff. I'm not a fan of the steel feet, there is no pan nor tension adjustment available and I find it a bit tall.

Regarding the Atlas spigot for the TRG, first thanks for the support and patience, the TRG spigot, our part number BT21 is being prototyped now and I hope to have these parts in the next few days. However, our last run of Atlas bipods is sold out so with luck, the TRG Spigot production and next batch of bipods will be ready at the same time. If interested, we do have a TRG contact list, just email me at; [email protected] and tell me you want on it then we'll contact you when ready. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
exhumed1.jpg
</div></div>

DAMN........lol

trg bi -pods are way to steep. i use harris on my sako at it works fine

I think the TRG bipod is KICK-ASS, I would never use a Harris on my TRG.

Fireball - Thanks for your interest and patience with this project. Part of the parts are at metal finishing, other parts are going to heat treat today then to metal finishers. We'll post pics and all details to the people on our TRG contact list as well as here asap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the TRG bipod is KICK-ASS, I would never use a Harris on my TRG. </div></div>

The TRG bipod is nice, but it moves to much... without modification, it's not a useful as it could be.

The BT series with the tension knob is quite nice, and I'm using it on my Larue OBR and TRG-42 (with the picatinny appliance that I also use for the tripod).

I'm looking forward to the day the TRG adapter comes out!