• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG Lapua Vs Custom. What would you do?

TexasMade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Hello all, I sold some pistols I never shot since I've been doing the long range game. Funny how priorities change in a little over 2 years. I currently have 2 surgeons I shoot for fun out to 1K with good success. Still working on loads for others. Anyway My question for you guys is would you buy sako TRG 42 or would you build a custom? Sakos are running 3700ish. A custom for me would seem to cost just about that.

1400 Stiller Action
500 Barrel
Stock 1000?
Gunsmith?

What would you get to shoot at a mile. Thanks for the replys. Sorry for quite a few threads lately. I've been gunnin everyday now for 2 weeks. Love Shootin!

Last edited:
I love my TRG-22. My only complaint is that it is not as easy to get it worked on as is my Rem 700. Gun smiths, where I live, won't touch it, and Berretta is a pain to deal with. I need a new trigger, as mine is having a some issues, and my barrel is almost done. I have found two places in the US that will do the work for me, but parts (no after market triggers in the US) are hard to come by as they ship from Finland. And a barrel replacement is going to cost me about $1,000, and it will not be a Sako barrel. I have 8,654 rounds through the barrel and it has been a pleasure to shoot. I have ordered a Surgeon rifle to replace it for now.

Just my $0.02

I love my TRG-22. My only complaint is that it is not as easy to get it worked on as is my Rem 700. Gun smiths, where I live, won't touch it, and Berretta is a pain to deal with. I need a new trigger, as mine is having a some issues, and my barrel is almost done. I have found two places in the US that will do the work for me, but parts (no after market triggers in the US) are hard to come by as they ship from Finland. And a barrel replacement is going to cost me about $1,000, and it will not be a Sako barrel. I have 8,654 rounds through the barrel and it has been a pleasure to shoot. I have ordered a Surgeon rifle to replace it for now.

Just my $0.02

Good to know I appreciate it!

My pleasure. Considering that I purchased the TRG-22 new for $2,400 in 2004, it has been well worth the money. And I learned a ton.

I went through this same issue over a year ago now. I went with a custom, my dream build. So how about a custom in 300 Norma Mag or 338 Norma Mag?

xdeano

I went through this same issue over a year ago now. I went with a custom, my dream build. So how about a custom in 300 Norma Mag or 338 Norma Mag?

xdeano

Just ran a test on a 300 Norma. Wow It seems to outperform the lapua pretty bad!!

Basically I want something not that difficult to load for with good quality brass that is the ultimate wind bucker out to 1500 yards. Barrel Life needs 1k rounds. I also need something with an abundant amount of energy incase I want to take a shot at hogzilla at distance

I did the TRG first then went custom. It will be cheaper and you will be happier if you go custom. The TRG is a great gun, but you will always still want to go custom.

TRG all the way, if the 308 Win semi-auto does not cut it and I need a .338 LM calibre. Especially the new and modified version of the -42. Folding stock, OEM bipod, suppress it and I'm good to go.

Here is a nice custom .338 LM based on a Stiller. It may fit what you're looking for:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/firearms-sale/232006-pcr-made-338-lapua-mag.html

(No, it's not my sale nor do I know the seller)

BTW, I had a Sako TRG-42 in 338LM. The factory stock felt great and the trigger was outstanding (some say better than a Jewell / that may be why there are few after market choices). It was a great shooter and would also be a great choice.

You don't need a 338 to get to a mile or beyond. Any number of the 300's will do it with less powder, cheaper brass, and cheaper bullets.

Having spent lots of time behind a TRG22, and a full custom, still shoot the TRG , more often. Building a custom is sort of a crap shoot unless you already know exactly which options you want, their weight, and how it fits for you. My custom ended up considerably heavier than anticipated because I failed to think of weight as a factor, and concentrated in getting the best components I could afford (Manners stock, Obermeyer 5R barrel, Badger bottom metal for AIAW magazines, Defiance action). It shoots fabulously well, but the TRG is FAR easier to shoot in practical rifle matches because of the weight issue.

Everyone who has shot the TRG has remarked on how easy to shoot well it is. The ergonomics just seem to fit most people.

I know this. I have 7mag that Ive shot a mile. But I WANT a 338 or something that's just a monster.

I'm in this same boat exactly at the moment. I have two customs as it is, one big 7, one smaller 6.5.. (like you) I'd like a "hammer" yet. Leaning very hard toward TRG myself.

Following along and watching opinions*

TRG! you know what your getting when you get a Sako. I have a 22 and a 42 and they shoot identically. As well you could look around for a year and not get a trigger as good as the TRG, only thing that comes close would be a Huber on a custom. Contrary to what anyone says the TRG is easy to get custom work done to as well as re barrel.

Customs are nice but it really depends on who is doing the work. Most of the good gunsmiths are booked out.

mnln.jpg

Reactions: Tikkaguy
TRG! you know what your getting when you get a Sako. I have a 22 and a 42 and they shoot identically. As well you could look around for a year and not get a trigger as good as the TRG, only thing that comes close would be a Huber on a custom. Contrary to what anyone says the TRG is easy to get custom work done to as well as re barrel.

Customs are nice but it really depends on who is doing the work. Most of the good gunsmiths are booked out.

mnln.jpg
I am not/nor have I ever been a fan of Sako, however that is one good looking boom-stick.

As for the thread, if you go custom the sky is the limit unless your wallet says otherwise. Like I said I am not a huge Sako fan, BUT I do know if you went with the Sako you would not regret it. If you can spec out a custom and find someone with something similar to your specs, get behind it and see how it feels. Either way you will be winning in the end.

Thanks, it shoots like a gem. Very consistent.

Granted there are some good custom makers out there I would only go with a Spartan, Tac Ops, or Gap, not exactly in that order.

That said Hewlet is right, you can't go wrong either way.

Thanks, it shoots like a gem. Very consistent.

Granted there are some good custom makers out there I would only go with a Spartan, Tac Ops, or Gap, not exactly in that order.

That said Hewlet is right, you can't go wrong either way.

Thanks guys! Still weighing the pros and cons. Leaning more custom at moment. Just can build it just like I like it

I read a post on accurate shooter by brian lititz about the 338 lapua mag. He compares a sako trg 42 to a full on custom 338 lapua and the groups were better with the trg. And that's a custom built more carefully for his spec then a builder would do for us. Some smo that shoots paper at a public range. I decided to go trg22 for now.

I read a post on accurate shooter by brian lititz about the 338 lapua mag. He compares a sako trg 42 to a full on custom 338 lapua and the groups were better with the trg. And that's a custom built more carefully for his spec then a builder would do for us. Some smo that shoots paper at a public range. I decided to go trg22 for now.

Have a link by chance?

i would go custom that way you can have every thing the way you want it!

I have a TRG-22 and always figured I would eventually order a custom. However, the TRG shoots so well I just don't see the point in spending big bucks on a custom now. The TRG has great ergonomics, is relatively light weight compared to other tactical rifles (including most customs) and shoots 3/8 moa pretty consistently. Just don't see how a custom is going to give me anything the TRG doesn't.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
I'd go custom all the way and get what I want. No doubt sako makes a fine factory rifle but..... I rather support Americans. Seems like Americans forgot about being patriotic to their country. That's why we are in this mess in the first place. Outsider influence into our government. Ill leave it at that. Not trying to turn this all political.

Jbnj... enlighten me as to how u spend 3000, which is realistically what u can get a trg for without looking to hard. And get a comparable rifle. Im interested to know because im all for buying and supporting the good ol us of a. Im in a union and we are pushed hard to buy American built product.. cars boots etc. I just dont know of anything american made that fits this bill..

The thing stopping most people in this industry isn't American pride but lack of American products that are comparable to the TRG or AI. If deciding between two comparable products I would buy American but I wouldn't buy a product that doesn't fit my needs as well just because it was made in America.

Jbnj... enlighten me as to how u spend 3000, which is realistically what u can get a trg for without looking to hard. And get a comparable rifle. Im interested to know because im all for buying and supporting the good ol us of a. Im in a union and we are pushed hard to buy American built product.. cars boots etc. I just dont know of anything american made that fits this bill..

Stock/chassis~ $1000
Barrel~ $350
Remy action~ $450
Send to LRI group buy for "the works". http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...2013-remington-m700-accurizing-group-buy.html
Receiver bolt work -125
8-40 scope base- 35
Bolt fluting- 45
Tactical bolt knob install- 45
Barrel fitting -250
Thread muzzle- 50
Thread protector- 30
Ceracoat barreled action- 125
Tactical bolt knob- 30
Heavy tactical recoil lug- 55*
* will need stock or chassis to be sized for the thicker recoil lug. Give dimension to stock/chassis maker to fit.
Total cost- $2590
Sure it's a remmy action and may not be as smooth as a sako or it may be with the work done. Who knows? I have no affiliation with LRI but is an option with money left over for extras( dbm kit? Upgrade extractor?) reviews seem to be pretty good and Chad Dixon(owner)? Is a pleasure to talk with so i hear.

Just an option.

Some money can be saved on stock/chassis and action from the above figures even. The LRI group buy has really been tempting me. Seems like around 1k to get a complete package if you already have the donor rifle.

I just emailed Mark at short action customs to see what Im looking at for a barreled action. Also getting on the Manners group buy. Nothing for sure yet

You don't need a 338 to get to a mile or beyond. Any number of the 300's will do it with less powder, cheaper brass, and cheaper bullets.

not as much difference as is assumed - the math for reloading including pro rated barrel/ brass life came to 1.25 for 338 LM with 300 SMK - 1.05 for 300 WM with 208 amax- the real over looked bargain is 30-06 which I figure at .60 with 190 nos CC vs .55 for 308 with 175 SMK

I was faces with the same question a couple years ago. I chose the trg42 lapua..10 twist... It's not a custom rifle but it exceeded anything I ever thought. You won't be sorry either way you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pragmatic point of view is...
If you have a Sako, and you shoot it for a while, it will sell fast and for a good price, almost a guarantee. You build something completely custom, that might now sell as fast, or for as much as you think it's worth.
Sako will probably be around for a while to support it's parts. Who knows, but it's just a good guess they will.

Opinion point of view...
I cannot imagine much of anything being as nice as the TRG. I haven't had any time with ultra custom set ups but the TRG trigger is one of the best feeling breaks I have ever touched. The price of the Sako is so low for the quality of what you get it's kind of a "no brainer" in the .338 if you have the $$$ to afford it. If you have a ton more, get an AI.
The custom set up is if you either want something that cannot be had from the MFG directly, or you find something directly wrong with the Sako rifle itself and need that to be gone.
Custom is also to say you have something no one else has, and you got to build it. Exclusivity is nice, and sometimes worth the hassle, cost and risks.

Sako.

Designed and built to be used on adverse conditions, just like AI. Even with a custom, you are still not getting the system, which is greater than the sum of its parts.

You also have the option of going with a KRG folder and/or AI bottom metal conversion from KRG (the one weak point with sako's).

You can also sell it for what you have into it, should it not work out for you. You will lose your ass and it will take much longer to try and offload a custom .338

That's because my AI and glock are far superior to anything else, just sayin...

For 6k more I'd hope an AI would even jack you off after firing it. Badass rifles, but not everyone's budget fits 10k for a bare rifle... Not to mention during working up a load for my TRG 42, I have multiple 3/8 moa 5 shot groups with it.

The first thing you need to do is try a TRG and determine if you like the stock ergonomics and the trigger. If you don't like either than a TRG is a non starter. If you haven't already done this, I'm sure you can find someone in Texas that will give you the opportunity.

One thing you often read about the TRG is that "it is easy to shoot." This translates to great ergos, a great trigger and a high level of inherent accuracy. Other positives are it's available now, it will take a beating, it is light for caliber and it will cost you significantly less than a full on custom by a noted maker. If you are patient, there are regularly .338 TRGs with low round count, Sako accessories, dies, cases and bullets at very favorable prices.

Two other comments. I bought my TRG 42 in .338 with the intention of parting the accessories and the rifle out. After shooting it, it is not for sale. I do not agree that the .338LM is exorbitantly expensive to shoot. It's way more fun to shoot ten rounds of .338LM than thirty rounds of .300WM.

For 6k more I'd hope an AI would even jack you off after firing it. Badass rifles, but not everyone's budget fits 10k for a bare rifle... Not to mention during working up a load for my TRG 42, I have multiple 3/8 moa 5 shot groups with it.

Though not a "handy" there are always two happy endings when shooting an AI, best feeling trigger I have ever felt, and i swear the rifle is a mind reader because it puts rounds right where you want them.

True not everyone can put it in their budget, but a TRG, Surgeon, GAP, Defiance, SAC, etc. will all be just as good for the money for your intended purpose. Would I ever own a TRG? Probably not because I prefer AI's and that's what I went with. Will I personally own a 338? Again no. But for the OP as I said above, you wont go wrong either way you choose. Just make sure when you get whatever, you better shoot the shit out of it and put up an in depth range report on here. Again best of luck with your decision.

i agree with laying behind one first if possible. i have 2 338's one is a trg and the other a custom on a stiller AICS. i purchased the TRG years ago and it was my first expensive rifle so of course i researched the heck out of it (but never shot one) and it seemed like the way to go. when i finally got behind it i was not able to keep consistent groups, used all the adjustments and still no luck. so i stuck in it my safe not sure what to do (not a big seller of rifles and shooting items in general).

years later i acquired some more rifles and a few had AICS's on them, so i make the plunge and had a 338 built on a AICS because i found it so comfortable. needless to say it felt like my other rifles that i shoot well and feel very comfortable behind it. but all the time i was trying to find a aftermarket stock to swap out with the original green TRG, along came XLR industries. i sent my rifle to him for a chassis (my rifle was used for the template, and he is a great guy), i also sent it patriot arms for a 30" 1-9 barrel for the 300gr's that came out (original 1-12 on older TRG's).

received the XLR stock and the fit and finish were great but something was not right with it/me, still could not get as comfortable as my AICS's, but with the 1/2" 5 shot target that Patriot Arms sent me i just could not give up the gun. so again it sat in the safe.

fast forward i was clicking around and came upon the Ashbury chassis...figured i would give it a shot, and if it didn't work out the whole pile was being sold. A nice box came in the mail and after a little time and few screws i had it ready for the range. went to the range that next saturday and i was putting them in the same hole, i actually could not believe it, i can actually hit something with the TRG.

so if you learned anything try to shoot something before you buy, especially big buck items.

about the TRG as a rifle:
bolt is smooth as silk, both actions out of the box and it is smoother than my stiller (although it only has about 500 through it so it might not be totally broke in yet)
trigger is as good or better than almost anything (not as sharp as a really good job on a remmy though), but much easier to adjust
i prefer the TRG mag to the AI mag, shorter and fatter gives a better grip when using gloves. never had a feeding problem with either though
ejection port is a little on the small side but the more metal the stronger the action, comes with the territory
rails/mounts are a pain because of the metric action screws so get yourself a pic rail off the bat
you can get the sako mount (i have one) and mount it right to the action, very nice mount and looks the part as well but then you cant hang other tacticool crap off the rifle if you want to
with the newer 1-10 twist they are selling, and it being chrome molly you should get some more barrel life out of it compared to a stainless custom

hope i didn't confuse you too much. buy either and they will probably out shoot you, but if you go the custom route make SURE it is a reputable person. nothing worse then spending 3,4-5000 on a nice custom and have it shoot like crap.

good luck