• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / Limbsaver Pad *** Mod Complete w/Pics

hamstur

Smelly
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
Desert
I measured my TRG-22 buttplate against the Limbsaver recoil pad template 10001 and it's a near perfect fit with the bottom hole on the pad aligning with the unused hole on the TRG plate. Has anybody tried this mod?

Limbsaver modding my Tikka Scout was an absolute night-and-day ergonomic improvement that resulted in consistent sub-0.5 MOA performance. I was shooting them side-by-side today and realized the TRG pad felt like a brick.

Re: Sako TRG / Limbsaver Buttpad

Would you be so kind as to PM if it does work out for you?! If it does I will order one as well...

Post a picture when you do the mod. I think it would be pretty interesting to see.
I understand what you are saying about the factory butt pads, they don't do much to help recoil.
SScott

I live across the street from Cabela's so I'll probably buy the 2 that have the closest spec fit and return the one that doesn't work -- or both if they neither works. If it works, I'll have pics & PM re: details as requested by tonight.

The Sako 75 pad is too small because it's about the same size as the Tikka which I removed from my Scout to size up.

I re-visited the Limbsaver website, and downloaded and printed, to proper 100% "actual" size, the "template" for part no. 10001, which is supped to fit a number of Sako models.

I cut out the actual full-size shape and held it against the butt of my TRG 42. Perfect fit.

So, if you want to try this experiment, it appears like pn 10001 might be the right one.

Jim G

I've cut several to fit the TRG's, I use a Pachmayer medium decelerator, they come in several thicknesses.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=25008...0541157_d_11666

Here's a pic, I like the rounded edges for not snagging on anything, and look a lot like the SAKO pad, this one is the 1" thick model.

These DO have to be cut and fit on a sander.

2011-10-30_16-42-39_497.jpg

Interested to see if a pre-fit will work.

Alright, here's the result -- and it's a VERY fast mod. Items you will need to complete it are:

1. Drill with a large bit (flat wood bit is nice)
2. 5mm x 30mm hex bolt + 4 #10 lock washers as spacers
3. 5mm nut
4. Limbsaver recoil pad #10001
5. About 15 minutes

Steps:
1. Drill out the back center of the Limbsaver pad where the center mounting screw & angling block are
2. Use one 5mm x 20mm hex bolt from the stock pad to mount the top of the Limbsaver pad
3. Replace the bottom one with the longer hex bolt and lock washer shims -- if you drill a hole in the stock spacers for a longer LOP, you may need to remove a shim or two to bring the bolt to proper length.

TRGPadMod_01.jpg

4. Slit the Limbsaver pad at about the "M" on the back center to access the mounting hex bolt

TRGPadMod_02.jpg

5. Mount the Limbsaver to the base, then mount to rifle. Due to the pad being designed for a standard rifle, there will be a minor fishtail. I actually kind of like this because it gives the rear of the rifle something to rest on.

From the 4th pic, you can see the size is a little off about 3mm on the very bottom. Doesn't bug me one bit but it's nothing a little black silicon sealant or something wouldn't fix.

For less than $2 at Home Depot, the cost of the pad, 15 minutes of actual work time, a Limbsaver recoil pad -- made from the wonderful NAVCOM synthetic rubber -- is staying on.

PM me if you want to see anything specific in more detail or a different angle.

TRGPadMod_03.jpg

TRGPadMod_04.jpg

TRGPadMod_05.jpg

Re: Sako TRG / Limbsaver Pad *** Mod Complete w/Pics

Looks good. Do you think you could still run the factory spacers too. I gots monkey arms.

Also been awhile but do the limbsaver pads still gum up and melt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. Do you think you could still run the factory spacers too. I gots monkey arms.

Also been awhile but do the limbsaver pads still gum up and melt? </div></div>

Yes, with 30 second drill job. Pic #1 shows the pre-existing lower hole on the TRG butt plate you will use for mounting. To use the spacers, you would just have to drill a quick hole aligned with it.

Your question just made me realize the longer 30mm bolt plus lock washer shims is better than a 25mm bolt -- if you want to add spacers just remove a shim or two.

Haven't beat up any limbsaver pads enough to know long term durability, but as long as it lasts a few years, I would foot $40 to replace. NAVCOM is simply an amazing product that I've even been using for years between my stereo speakers and stands for vibration control.

Initial impressions dry-firing prone is the pad contour and ability to squish into the stock absolutely enhanced my ability to load the bipod & maintain stability -- and that's considering I already think the TRG bipod is the best I ever used.

Wonderful info, thanks for sending the PM! I look forward to doing this to my two TRG's... thanks again for the great writeup.

I just finished installing them on my two TRG's, I installed mine a little differently...

First two pictures are comparing the Limbsaver #10001 pad and the stock TRG pad (same on TRG 22/42)

img3389y.jpg

img3390v.jpg

As you can see the stock pad with the two spacers is about the same size as the Limbsaver #10001 pad, I chose to leave the two spacers out when I reinstalled both my pads. Now on to the modifications I made to the Limbsaver #10001 to make it work on a Sako TRG.

The top screw hole lines up almost perfectly with the existing nutplate in the back of the TRG stock. You do need to add a cutout for the tilt mechanism, Hamstur cut it out with a large drill bit but I chose to put it in my mill (I appreciate this thing more and more everyday!) and cut it very similar to the way the original pad was cut (See pics below)

I also added a notch for the lower screw on the same spot as the original recoil pad. Once again I put it in my mill and cut the notch and then drilled all the way through with a 1/4" bit for the hole to insert the stock screws through.

I was able to re-use both of the stock screws with my pads but I think the threads were close to the maximum length I could fit in there, you may have to trim them or get shorter screws if you cannot get the pad completely tight against the stock. See pictures below for the two mods I did to the Limbsaver #10001 pad.

img3391g.jpg

And now pictures of them installed on the rifles, there is a very small gap at the bottom but it does not bother me at all. I really like them and look forward to testing them out soon hopefully this nice weather can keep up!

img3394r.jpg

Take the buttplate spacer off, bore holes undersize w/drillbit to fit 2 mounting screws, remove a bit of material inside center of pad so center adjustment screw turns easily and you're done.

Not a big deal to grind the pad down to conform to the factory spacer contour. Might want to leave it oversize.

I used a Pachmayr Shotgun pad in Black. Looks good works and is tough material.

All sorts of good pads out there Declerator, Kick-eez, Hogue(?), and many other Pachmayrs. Limbsavers are nice, but not fully backed with nylon or plastic mount plate. HD backing plate factory orig to the pad helps much; unless you are a little guy and have to worry about LOP...

Awesome work. This just saved so much time.

Just got mine in and the install was very easy. Thanks again to those that contributed to this.

I've done this small mod with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Other than the sanding requirement to fit, it drops right in with the factory holes in the pad. It feels much better than the cheesy factory unit.
7108000115_38d71a0756_b.jpg

I've done this small mod with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Other than the sanding requirement to fit, it drops right in with the factory holes in the pad. It feels much better than the cheesy factory unit.
7108000115_38d71a0756_b.jpg

Which model Pachmayr Decelerator pad will fit with factory holes?