• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / TRG-S M995 Thread **Sticky??**

I just put a Leupold Mk6 3-18 on my TRG. It dropped 1lb. over the S&B 5-25 that was on it. Photos below wearing 260 Hardy Carbon barrel. I need to get it to the range to test it out, but in dry firing the new scope is working out well with eye relief and power range.

Attachments

• photo47076.jpg
    photo47076.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 447
  • photo47077.jpg
    photo47077.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 422
I just put a Leupold Mk6 3-18 on my TRG. It dropped 1lb. over the S&B 5-25 that was on it. Photos below wearing 260 Hardy Carbon barrel. I need to get it to the range to test it out, but in dry firing the new scope is working out well with eye relief and power range.

That is a nice rifle, do you know how much it weighs fully setup? Also what Caliber is it? I have been really wanting to chop my 338 down to 20" to save some weight, but my 5-25 F1 is also adding quite a bit as well.

That is a nice rifle, do you know how much it weighs fully setup? Also what Caliber is it? I have been really wanting to chop my 338 down to 20" to save some weight, but my 5-25 F1 is also adding quite a bit as well.

The rifle bare without the bipod and magazine is 11.5 lbs. It is in .260.

If I pull off the muzzle brake (which for a 260 probably isn't needed), it would be about 11.2 lbs. Magazine is about 5 ozs. So let's call it 12.0lbs. with magazine and some ammo and a sling.

If I put on my 20" steel barrel, the rifle weight is the same. The carbon barrel is 26". So I get 6" more barrel for the same weight as the 20".

I like some weight for a precision rifle/comp gun just to make some kinds of shooting more stable. But what I wanted to get away from is very heavy tactical rifle kind of setup which I don't find very practical to carry.

I have a TRG-42 with the 27" barrel. I wouldn't personally cut the barrel to 20" because the muzzle blast and noise will be horrendous with the 338. I'd rather get a carbon barrel if I wanted to shave some weight and dump the heavier scope.

A couple of M995s.

338LM [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1271.photobucket.com\/albums\/jj628\/Layton_Hobbs\/rifF.jpg"}[/IMG2]

6.5x55AI [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1271.photobucket.com\/albums\/jj628\/Layton_Hobbs\/65_zps872af666.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Layton.... Nice looking rifles. What rail are you using? Stock is a Manners? What triggerguard system is that?

Layton.... Nice looking rifles. What rail are you using? Stock is a Manners? What triggerguard system is that?

Thanks! It's a NEAR rail. Since I've taken these pics I've changed out the Badger rings to NEAR mounts. Stocks are McMillan A3-Adj. Manner's won't inlet for the M995. I tried and was bluntly told no. Bottom metal is the same that you can get from PTG. Actually, my understanding is they took my bottom metal, copied it and now it's for sale on their site here.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/152-sako-performance

L

Last edited:
I wanna play . . . .

Just got my TRG-S (7mmRM) back this week. Area 419 did the barreled action, and I had Custom Gun Coatings paint up the McMillan A-3.

I begin load testing soon. I have this thing setup with a 1/8" twist so I can shoot Berger's 195g pill

Last edited:
Reactions: steelcomp
One of my favorites. Getting busy in a van at the guardian match in Michigan last fall. My TRG-22 in 260 Rem.

how in the f*ck do I upload a full size image??

Attachments

• photo49259.png
    photo49259.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0527.PNG
    IMG_0527.PNG
    6.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I wanna play . . . .

Just got my TRG-S (7mmRM) back this week. Area 419 did the barreled action, and I had Custom Gun Coatings paint up the McMillan A-3.

I begin load testing soon. I have this thing setup with a 1/8" twist so I can shoot Berger's 195g pill [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i27.photobucket.com\/albums\/c194\/flexiblehorse12\/IMG_6202_zpspae6kru9.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i27.photobucket.com\/albums\/c194\/flexiblehorse12\/IMG_6205_zpsldomkza7.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i27.photobucket.com\/albums\/c194\/flexiblehorse12\/IMG_6206_zps6t9hqubu.jpg"}[/IMG2]

That is beautiful!! Nice choice of scope as well. What barrel profile is on your rifle and do you have any idea how much weight the fluting saved?

IMG_1667.JPG Some crappy pics of my TRG-22 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will post better ones when I can. Specs:
Action trued and barreled by SAC. Bartlein 24" Sendero with spiral fluting, little bastard brake. LOP adjuster by Terje. Badger 35 MOA rail with Badger 1" rings. Flatline Ops articulated anti cant with Sniper tools Cosine indicator. Harris bipod with ARMS #32 throw lever. I can't remember the brand of fore end rail for the bipod. It is topped by an S&B PMII 5x25 with H59 reticle. It is a dream to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_1664-1.JPG
    IMG_1664-1.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Reactions: EdO
IMG_1675.JPGIMG_1679.JPG And it's ancestor an old .223 Tikka M595 Master Sporter. 24" 1:12 barrel, CDI bottom metal to accept AICS magazines. Single stage adjustable trigger with spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. Breaks crisp at just over 1 LB. Nightforce 20 MOA rail and Badger 1" rings. Rifle is topped with a Steiner T5xi 5x25 with SCR reticle. This thing is a god damned laser with 52 grain SMKs and 26.5 grains of Varget. I am going to have a Bartlein Sendero 1:8 put on so I can shoot heavier bullets.

Last edited:
@northern50 to post a larger image, click on the attach icon (paperclip) when you are posting. It should give you options on what size to post. The default is postage stamp size :(

Last edited:
Not the best picture but you get the idea,

My TRG-22 with factory stainless 308 barrel. I picked it up last year and it always amazes me how consistently reliable and accurate it is. It's a fairly old -22 but it handles just like any other.
Currently shopping for better glass and trying to figure out what to do about getting another magazine or two.

Not the best picture but you get the idea,

My TRG-22 with factory stainless 308 barrel. I picked it up last year and it always amazes me how consistently reliable and accurate it is. It's a fairly old -22 but it handles just like any other.
Currently shopping for better glass and trying to figure out what to do about getting another magazine or two.

It's rare configuration of the TRG-22. Lucky. Sako built limited batch of TRG-22 .308Win and TRG-42 .338LM with SS barrels in the beginning of 2000-s.

Last edited:
Thaths my 2006 TRG-42 338LM
It has about 3000 rounds and shoots as good as ever

100 meter

300 meter

TRG42 338LM ,,has all the Sako factory attachments,,3 ring scope mount,bipod,brake and magazines,,it has the smoothest 2 stage trigger I have ever had in my hands for sure,,has the 5.5-22x56 NF and it shoots extremely well,,when the bbl gives up I would love to neck the 338L brass to 7mm to shoot the 195 class bullets from,,

only pic I could find was from checking zero back in Feb and a groundhog came out right behind the target,,and on firing line at a Snipers Hide shoot at Rockcastle Ky about 5 years or so ago,,
go to load is 300 gr OTM`s Fed 215s and 93 grs Retumbo,,

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/eric609.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/eric481.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.photobucket.com\/albums\/v411\/ericleonard\/eric484.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
I did a 6.5 CM re-barrel recently. I can strongly recommend Mark at Short Action Customs. He did a sweet job.

Thanks.
What are specs of your new barrel? if you can share them, of course.

Sure, happy to. Bartlein stainless 5R barrel, #13 profile, chambered using SAC 6.5 CM Match reamer, heavy spiral fluted and finished at 24". APA Little Bastard brake blended on.

That is beautiful!! Nice choice of scope as well. What barrel profile is on your rifle and do you have any idea how much weight the fluting saved?

Thank you

The profile is a Bartlein #9. Go heavy or go home. Not sure about the weight savings. Jon did not send me a bag full of the shavings ;)

I have finally got the "Elk Smasher" ready for action. Its a very pleasant shooting rifle. This is a custom TRG-S that was turned into a 300 Winchester Magnum.

The target is at 300 Yards. The lower shots are a ladder test from 72 to 76 grains of H1000, and 215 Bergers.

The center group is 4 shots of 215 Berger, 75 grains H1000, and 2 shots of Hornady Precision Hunter ammo.

Attachments

• photo55657.jpg
    photo55657.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 263
  • photo55658.jpg
    photo55658.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 272
  • photo55659.jpg
    photo55659.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 269
Reactions: bwahl
Just received my .284 barrel from Rock Creek, now to decide between chambering it 28 Nosler or good old 7mm Remington Magnum. I am leaning toward the second option.

Ping the folks at EuroOptic, they seem to be the biggest Sako dealer in the US. If anyone could get you one it would be them. Some of them lurk on The Hide if I am not mistaken.

TRG42 300wm, leupold mkIV scope, rattle can paint job. 210gn Berger VLD hunting, Norma brass, federal 210 large magnum rifle primers 69.5gn ADI 2213sc powder

Any updates on those cheap(er) TRG mags that Dallas Rifle was hinting at? Or any more news on what goodies us TRG guys might be able to take advantage of when the KRG SOTIC rifle comes out? As far as I gathered, from the last TRG thread on Scout there might be bolt bodies(maybe even a 223 size) and pre-fit barrels available. Anyone heard of anything else?

I'm at a cross roads of whether to sell my TRG and find a custom or keep it and build it up. I am leaning towards keeping it but the one big thing that's holding me back is mags. I still think there's probably a way to modify the CTR mags to make them work. Seems like TRG fans might finally be getting some aftermarket love and if that's the case I'll keep mine and stick around to see what comes out. Might even buy another!

Soooo, I just picked up one of the new M10s. I got a great deal that I just could not resist. It is black and I have a 26" 308 barrel and a 27" 338 barrel. I should be able to do a range report next week. I will post pics as well. My initial impressions are VERY positive. Beautiful fit and finish and of course the trigger is superb :)

Way to make a guy jealous! I was super keen to pick up an M10 until I found out how much they were selling for in Canada... around $14K. Maybe in 10 years I'll find a used one for half that.

Yeah, Even with a discount they are not cheap. There goes the tax return $$. If I was married I'd be heading for a divorce ;-)

One thing that they really got right is magazine length. It looks like there is plenty of room to load long. This is the 338 mag with a factory round.

Attachments

• photo59259.jpg
    photo59259.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 169
And this is the 308. The round is an M118-LR. Even still there is plenty of room to go longer.

Attachments

• photo59267.jpg
    photo59267.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 170
M10 range report:
Overall I am very happy. Fit and finish are sweet.

I used the 26" 308 barrel with the Sako muzzle brake. It felt like a 223
I didn't get a chance to shoot 338.

I shot mostly factory ammo, GMM 168s, M118-LR and some of the Federal MK 319 175 grain military ammo. I tried one load that I worked up for my TRG22.
I got around 1 MOA. This is on me. I don't have the ergonomics worked out yet and I wasn't shooting well.
I am pretty sure the rifle can do better. More to come later

The M10 seems to get slightly better velocity than my TRG. Same batch of ammo, same temp range, same chrono.
M118-LR on M10 2707
M118-LR on TRG 2664
I saw a similar improvement on hand loads.

The extract and eject function is ridiculously strong. I caught a piece of brass as it ejected and it hurt my hand. See picture of ejectors...

Switching barrels is fairly easy but I wouldn't want to have to do it in the field with bullets flying. I think AI makes it slightly easier.
The barrel was really easy to clean, almost no copper.

Like I said before, the magazines have a lot of room. I was able to load at 2.820 and the magazine fed fine

I am going to try to shoot some 338 tomorrow.

Sorry bout the crappy pictures, I will post nicer ones later.

Attachments

• photo59384.jpg
    photo59384.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 309
  • photo59383.jpg
    photo59383.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 284
  • photo59432.jpg
    photo59432.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: lambsey
Thanks for the report JustBC!
It's a magnificent looking set up, I would love to own pretty much the same thing but in tan.

I think the dual ejectors is a nice upgrade that Sako is doing. I thought it was only on the 300/338 bolts so good to see it on the 308 bolt as well. Not that a 308 needs it, but it's nice for redundancy.

Just mounted the M08 ITRS (long). Looks better than short one.

Attachments

• photo60360.jpg
    photo60360.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 204
  • photo60361.jpg
    photo60361.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited: