• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG22 weight reduction

Macca

Straya
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2012
What are some areas of the TRG22 besides the barrel where weight can be reduced?
Is there a point of diminishing returns or where it’s just a rifle with a TRG action?
Ideally i’d like rebarrel it to a 6.5x47 & be able to shoot offhand,eg slung up.

A carbon fiber barrel and lighter weight scope is all I can think of for a standard TRG. That being said it should get you into a weight that should be fine for offhand and positional slung shooting. Guys are out there shooting 18 pound AR’s in NRA/CMP service rifle.

Thanks,they were my thoughts too with the possible addition of a KRG Bravo butt stock.

Reactions: Afkirby
Personally I don't see a need to lighten a TRG 22, they are pretty light out of the box. I wore out a few barrels shooting mine in all positions and always liked the feel of the rifle. But short of a Proof barrel you are going backwards IMO...

What are some areas of the TRG22 besides the barrel where weight can be reduced?
Is there a point of diminishing returns or where it’s just a rifle with a TRG action?
Ideally i’d like rebarrel it to a 6.5x47 & be able to shoot offhand,eg slung up.
A factory picatinny rail was taken off (minus 7 oz), the spuhr st-3701 (8.5 oz) was mounted directly on a receiver, Vortex AMG Ebr-7b (29 oz), bartlein barrel in the TRG contour (similar with the medium Palma contour), Harris bipod.
Any carbon barrel will give more room for reduction. But again, nothing significant.

Attachments

• 89CA3895-3034-4398-9EAD-652A773F7EBD.jpeg
    89CA3895-3034-4398-9EAD-652A773F7EBD.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks fella’s for your responses.
I’m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze vis a vis weight reduction,i’ll just keep my 6mm BR for offhand shooting.
I’m just not interested in 308 anymore & am casting around for another paper punching calibre that may suit the rifle’s short action & bolt face.
Now if I could open the bolt face to suit the 6.5 PRC i’d be all over it like a fat kid with a piece of cake.