• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako won't shoot accurate

redhead522

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I have a Sako 75 Hunter in 25-06 that won't shoot accurate to save my life. The gun has a guaranteed 5 shot MOA, but it won't get two shots closer than 2". I wasn't sure if it was me or the rifle at first, so I borrowed a buddy of mine who competes in high powered rifle competitions. We set it up with sand bags and both tried to sight in in. Using a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x scope & Remington Core-lokt 100 grain ammo. Both of us tried to sight it in at max magnification and were getting 2 shot groups of 2". Is this probably an ammo issue, or should I contact Sako? What does Sako do if there rifle won't get their MOA guarantee? I love everything about this gun except the groups, but honestly that's all that matters. Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Sako won't shoot accurate

chat up mckinney mike here on the Hide....he also is new.....and knows everyfuckingthing there is to know about rifles .....he is a gun god.

Check scope mounts... And scope. Loose mounts will be problematic.

Check the stock screws. Rare, but possible to have loose mounts.

Try some different ammo. Mix it up. Try different brands. If you can get some handloads, try those. Some rifles like some brands better than others. Agree with earlier comment that the Core-Lokt bullets are just fine for hunting, but not match-grade accuracy. That said, I believe they should print under 2"...

Finally, get a bore light. Look for rust, damage, burrs, etc. Especially at the muzzle. May have some damage or crud giving you trouble.

It certainly is possible that your Sako won't shoot, but it would be an anomaly. They are really solid guns.

Cheers,

Sirhr

thanks for the input so far. How do I chat another member like "Mckinney Mike"?

the first thing i would do is shoot a varity of different suff different brands different bullets weights and if you hand load its just more work up and thats just fun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would recommend trying something other than Core-Lokt if you're serious about accuracy. YMMV.</div></div>

I agree. My Ruger .25-06 cannot shoot the Rem cor-Loks worth a damn. 3-4" three shot groups @ 100 yds. If you are into factory ammo my rifle loves federal fusion, usually a tad under 1 moa. Try a couple different brands out, you'll find something she likes.

Obviously...first things first in terms of ensuring scope/rings/mounts are properly mounted/torqued down. If all that is up to spec...Ditch the Remington crap and try some decent ammo.

I quit shooting Remington factory ammo years ago because it is just not consistent and it is to blame for a lot of accuracy problems in otherwise decent rifles.

Try the following:

1) BH Gold 100gr Barnes TSX;

2) Federal Premium 100gr Barnes TSX; and

3) Hornady 117gr SST.

All of those are proven loads that should perform well from a 1:10 twist 75 Hunter.

If none of those do it...time for a call to Sako re: your accuracy problems.

Sounds good guys. I'll be picking up a few different brands and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">chat up mckinney mike here on the Hide....he also is new.....and knows everyfuckingthing there is to know about rifles .....he is a gun god.

</div></div>

first off....complete your profile please.....and secondly....mckinney mike is a jackass who thinks he knows stuff about guns.....actually he posts like a troll and wants everyone to think he is a gun god....

I own a Sako 270.
Been there done that. Tried 10 different brands or so. For cheap ammo it really liked Win 130 silvertips and 1-5-2.5 MOA average was good. Now , I refuse to spend $40 for premium ammo so I can't tell you if that would be much better. I read time and again mags testing with the Federal (gold match?) so it must be the right way to go if you need that Sub MOA out of factory rounds.

This very same rifle with my handloads does 5 shots, 1/2 to 1/3 MOA after 4 strings @ 200Y...I could have saved years of testing had I started reloading sooner.
My last trip out it put 3 in 2.5" @ 600Y in light wind.

I love my Sako more than ever now.

Also, use a "lead sled" or the like for your testing.