• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Salomon Forces/Asolo fugitives

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Comparison between the Salomon Forces 4D GTX and the Asolo Fugitives, anyone have experience with either 🥾 boot?
I’ve been a La Sportiva guy, but looking to go lighter with good support and durability…

Fugitives are gtg. Great on mountainous terrain and hold up fine. Skinned off most of the tread after 8 months of 80-130lb packs in rock/shale slopes. Very positive grip on any grade of slope as well. Highly recommend them!

Reactions: Gustav7 and FatBoy
I have the forces 4D GTXs. Wore them to most of the long range matches I went to this last year and most my hunting adventures in the mountains of Idaho. I definitely wore a lot of the tread off of them and the waterproofing wasn't working that great during elk season. I like them quite a bit besides that. They're still functional, but I won't take them out bear hunting in the spring. My buddy had a newer pair of Solomons that seemed to repel water a lot better while elk hunting.

How do they do on wet rock 🪨? I have some Lowa Zephyrs and while they are great for general use, they are horrible on wet rock…

How do they do on wet rock 🪨? I have some Lowa Zephyrs and while they are great for general use, they are horrible on wet rock…
I had solid footing on the wet rocks I was stepping on. I crossed a lot of streams during elk season

Salomon boots have always been horrible for being "waterproof"
Seems to be a fairly common situation while the Fugitive has a reputation for excellent “waterproofness”…
I have read reviews for the Fugitives that ankle support may be a little weak, any comments? I do enjoy the fact that the Fugitives can have the soles replaced…

Anyone who has used either of the two (Salomon/Fugitives) in rocky, rough terrain, are you able to shed some light on durability?

Have had serveral pairs of Asolo including the fugitives. I have had the Forces and have to say the forces have been the worst. Soles cracked twice. They don’t stay tight. Every pair of Asolo boots I have has been 100 percent great.

I have burned down four pairs of Asolos. The fugitives are my favorite. Weatherproofing had been great . I did almost break an ankle Fathers Day 2020. They have decent support/padding but they are low to allow movement and I rolled off a root while I had my dogs on lead. As to the slippery rock, they work very well the first 12 months or so. Once they rubber starts to harden they’re not as good but still acceptable. Salawa is probably the best for wet traction. 5.10 are decent too, but I have only used Salawa and 5.10 shoes, not boots.

My next pair of Gortex boots will almost certainly be a pair of Fugitives.

I did learn this year if your going to submerge these boots the Fugitives are not the boot to wear. A wet size 13 is about 6# each and that wears of me a lot quicker than a 2# boot. They DO NOT drain at all.

We had our pick of Scarpas, Fugitive GTX, or Kaylands in our Army unit. The scarpas did not hold up as well, and the Salomons i've seen used since then didn't seem to hold up as well either. Cracked sides or worn soles way too quickly.

The Kaylands and the Fugitives were both solid boots. Knew plenty of guys who did not DX them for at least 2-3 training cycles and deployments. They took a beating and kept going for sure.

I ran down a pair of La Sportiva Trangos as a tree climber (and backpacking). They were also great boots.

I'm currently working through a my own first pair of Fugitive GTX's and they're just as awesome as I remember. Would 100% go Fugitives as they are about as proven a boot as you can get.

Keep with the sportivas. Everything else is a down grade

If I were to compare my Fugitives I have now and the La Sportiva Trango's I had, I'd easily put them in the same class. Not comparing all of La Sportiva with all of Asolo, but those two boots were easily equal.

I've got Salomon, Asolo, La Sportiva, Scarpa, Salewa, Danner, and some others. I've been through a couple pairs of Salomons and all are decent but the waterproof sucks and the tread is grippy but very soft rubber and it doesn't take too long to be down to nothing. I've had 2 Pairs of Asolo still have both, great tread, great fit, great waterproof but on the higher end of price. All the La Sportiva I have are nice in all categories but they were very stiff to me until they got broke in but I also think its because its a better shoe and this goes with the Salewa as well... I had to really beat these up to get broke in prob the stiffest out of them all but a really nice shoe IMO. I had a cheaper pair of Scarpa cant remember what they were but they were just that cheap. I have a pair of Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX and its a really nice boot prob one of my favs but Its heavy, and not really a lightweight hiking boot, its not in the same category as the cheaper Scarpa boots/shoes. Love my Danner Skyridge but its not really in the same category its more of a casual boot...

I've got a narrow foot with a high arch so sportivas fit best. Scarpas tend to be a wider fit. Before dropping hundreds on a pair I'd try several brands. The Trango line is awesome from bottom to top but I wouldn't suggest their ice climbing ones for your purposes. They are sick for real technical climbing.

Reactions: powdahound76
Salomon does have a 2 year warranty. I've gotten boots replaced for the waterproofing not working

Thank you, all for your input! My purpose for the thread was to gain info and you’ve been doing well!
Sportiva Makalu’s have been my boot of choice for three years and have been pretty bomb proof, but I’ve worked industrial construction for 40 years now and I desire a lighter boot with solid support. Backpacking/mountaineering boots give me what I want and have for many years. I still do a bit of climbing so stiffness is a good thing.
Keep the experience coming!

I’d look at the Salwas if your ground includes steep mountains too. You almost can’t roll an ankle. I’ve spent a whole day traversing with no problems (from the boots).

They’re one step down from plastic mountaineering boots, and even accept automatic crampons. After last year chasing elk on the West Slope I’m a believer.

Ive had a pair of Fugitives for going on 10 years now. Had to get them re-soled 2 years ago after a trip up The Narrows in Zion...

I'm not real hard on boots though so YMMV.

sidebar: Had them resoled at:
https://www.davepagecobbler.com/

Fantastic work with a really fast turn around. They did the soles(vibrams) and replaced the toe caps for like 120 bucks...

With that said I have a pair of La Sportiva TX4 approach shoes that I hiked all over Utah and they were fantastic... but obviously not a boot. I thought the quality, fit and finish of them was at least as good as the Asolo's and I expect a lot of life out of them.

Most of my hiking now is at state parks here in Texas which arent all that challenging of terrain honestly.

To add to my inquiry and the reason for it is the fact that the Makalus are 4+ lbs a pair…