• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Salomon X-Alp Mtn GTX Forces vs Quest 4D GTX vs Lowa Zephyr GTX

dgheriani

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Trying to decide between these 3 boots now. Use will be hiking/backpacking and field matches and PRS matches. Currently have a pair of Danner Acadia deserts with GTX and like them but looking for something lighter while still having great ankle support and a sole that isn't as slick as the vibram on my desert boots gets when it's cold. Man they get slick. The Salomons are the easiest for me as I already have their trail runners and light hikers, like them and know my size and there is nowhere I can find closer than Seattle to try any Lowa on. Can't seam to really figure out how much of a difference there is between the X-Alp Mtn and the Quest? Is the X-Alp that much stiffer in the sole?​

I believe Salomon bills the X-Alp as a mountaineering boot. The upper is full leather vs. leather and textile, the tread is different, and there's more protection built into the boot (e.g. mudguard, toe cap).

Lowa Zephyr is the shitz. I went to them last spring and am 110% sold. I wasn't sure about sizes and was skeptical about fit, etc. I waited till L.A.P.G. had a discount code and ordered a pair.

As soon as they came in, I started wearing them. Feet hurt for first 2 days during break in then boom, perfect. I immediately ordered a second identical pair so I could swap every day. I wear them every day in the shop or out training and am very pleased. Light overall weight and excellent support. (Mine were not the GoreTex versions since I believe those aren't as heat friendly down here.)

Reactions: mpk1996
Lowa Zephyr is the shitz. I went to them last spring and am 110% sold. I wasn't sure about sizes and was skeptical about fit, etc. I waited till L.A.P.G. had a discount code and ordered a pair.

As soon as they came in, I started wearing them. Feet hurt for first 2 days during break in then boom, perfect. I immediately ordered a second identical pair so I could swap every day. I wear them every day in the shop or out training and am very pleased. Light overall weight and excellent support. (Mine were not the GoreTex versions since I believe those aren't as heat friendly down here.)

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good about the Zephyr but I can't find a single place up here on the west coast of Canada that has them so I can try on a pair (or any Lowas really). I could swing by REI in Seattle next time I'm down that way but that will be to shoot a match, at which point I'd hope to have some new boots, haha.

I have the Lowa Zephyr GTX and wear them whenever I can. I wear a size 13M and they were pretty close to perfect out of the box. I’d did put them through a couple of two-mile hikes to break them in.

I have both the x alp and quest. The x alp are not stiff like a true mountaineering boot but are a little more so than the quest. They offer better lateral ankle support but still flex well heel to toe and are comfortable to walk in flats. If you have wide feet you will likely not like the X Alp, they are a low volume performance driven fit.

Have 4 pairs of zephyrs..... awesome boot....But not as durable as I thought they would be..... however they are super comfortable and that’s why I have 4.....

I’m a big fan of the salomons. I have the quest 4d and xa pro 3d. Very comfortable and good support.

Garmont trail guide gtx 2.0.I bought a pair for work and couldn’t be happier.Light with good support and waterproof.Have had lowas and liked them but the stitching didn’t hold up.Read the garmont reviews and order a 1/2 size larger if between sizes.

I’m a huge fan of Solomon shoes/boots, and wear Lowas for my work boot, however, my favorite pair of boots I own and wear currently are my Asolo Fugitive GTX’s. I did recently buy a pair of LaSportiva GTX boots (can’t recall the model atm). I figured I’d give them a shot since they are a series sponsor for Competition Dynamics, and so far they seem promising.

I ended up ordering a pair of Zephyrs from REI. Hopefully I like em as much as everyone else. If not, I'll give the Salomon's a go.

You were correct, the Zephyrs are great boots! So comfy and supportive yet nice and light. Might have to order a 2nd pair, haha

i am a big fan of Salomon also. But I have to say my Asolo Fugitive are wearing fantastic. Stiff sole, but very comfy. Lots of grip and i feel very stable with them on different surfaces. On another not Oboze is another boot that I really like. It has quite a unique fit, so be sure you can try then on before you buy or able to return easily. But they fit like a second skin to my foot. I havent tried the Zephyr's yet. I really wanted to try the Asolo as they had been previously highly recommended to me.

I went from the zephyr's to the Salomon X-ultra. I really loved the zephyrs, but they were ice skates on snow and ice. The Salomons do alot better for me in those conditions.