• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Salt bath annealing

Dski48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Oshkosh, NE
I was told about salt bath annealing by a shooter I met on the hide and as he seems like a smart guy I listened to him and as I want to anneal my brass the salt bath method was the least expensive to get into. I got the salt and Lee smelting pot and made the cover thing that holds the rounds at the right depth in the salt. Used it a few times with no issues.
The problem is I live in the south and it's humid here. Has anyone else who does salt annealing had issues with their salt sucking up lots of water out of the air? Like when I get the smelter there is a half inch of water on the surface of the salt. And when I turn the smelter on it smokes til all the moisture is burned off.

I tried the flame route, I tried Salt Bath, I ended up with this;

It's simple, safe, no flames, no molten salt, no worry about spills/injury.

I'm happy with it and don't plan on trying anything else.

I tried the flame route, I tried Salt Bath, I ended up with this;

It's simple, safe, no flames, no molten salt, no worry about spills/injury.

I'm happy with it and don't plan on trying anything else.
I looked at it and wasn't sure about the coils, which do you use? Thanks.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Started out with torch by hand. Then progressed to Annealeez, which was far more consistent and quicker. Then I progress to the AMP with Aztec, and it is fast and super consistent. 50 rounds done in less than 4 minutes, and very consistent sizing and neck sizing results.

I do salt bath annealing. It's simple, and seems to work by keeping my loads consistent after 6 or 7 firings I have on some brass.

I may one day go to some other method, but for now it seems to be doing what I need it to do.