• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Same glass for every rifle???

H2O Cop

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2007
Colorado
I'm just curious how many people prefer to have the same glass on top of all of their rifles or if it makes any difference? Personally, I prefer to have the same glass on all my rifles, but I also think consistency breeds accuracy and familiarity and therefore is one less thing I have to worry about in the field. Especially when considering a rifle / trainer combo. What're ya'll thoughts??

Re: Same glass for every rifle???

I consider it more important to have them on in the same plane, same style of reticle and same adjustments. I dont consider it necessary to be exactly the same or the same manufacture. Im considering a SS variable to put on my deer rifle so it is in line with scopes I run on my match rifles.

I would like having one or the other.It's one more thing that I wouldn't have to think about.MIL turrets with MIL reticle or MOA turrets with MOA reticle on all my rifles and preferably FFP.Mine are not and sometimes I forget to switch it over in the ballistic program.

I definitely prefer a small scope on a carbine sized rifle and higher magnification scopes on rifles built for long range.

Steve

in a perfect world, my vote would be for the same glass on everything. but being it's not a perfect world, my longer distance higher magnification target optics don't work well on my squirrel rifle as the shots are usually less than 50 yards and you loose them with a higher mag or finer crosshairs.

norcal phoenix above said it best to have the same reticle and adjustments, at the very least, on every rifle

plus mounted the same mounting height, same objective / eyepiece size would be a consideration, even if they are 2 different types of optics to give that familiarity between rifles.

I would make sure they have the same direction of adjustment (don't mix CW with CCW adjustment scopes if you think you might ever have to think quickly)

I would love to have similar optics on all my rifles, but my pocketbook doesn't like the idea.

The exact same optic would NOT be a good idea though because I have different rifles for different applications. This necessitates different optics.

A SN-3 3.2-17 would be poorly suited to my M4 and my Aimpoint would not work well on my M700. I would like to have another SN-3 for my .22LR that would dupluicate the adjustments of the larger rifle, but that just aint going to happen anything soon.

I have the same NF F1 glass on my match 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and my practice .308. Just so I can stay looking at the same thing. Hasn't always been like that but if I can do it I would like it to be the same. But other than that it doesn't matter.

I agree with LoneWolf, like he said, i have long range optics on my bolt guns and my 308 gas gun. For my under 300 i have a Eotech and Aimpoint w/ 3x magnifier. All my long range optics have the same adjustments and the same reticle, with the exception of the PH thats on the way. Different gun, different job, different optic

Well if money permitted I'd be running SB's on everything, as it is at the moment owning one PM11 only fits the budget. My compromise has been to ensure that I am running the same adjustments across the range. So that has flowed down from the rifle wearing the SB PM11 so now other rifles also wear scopes that are Mil/Mil. For me does not matter weather your in the mil/mil camp or moa/moa camp just as long as you run the same adjustments on all I think (and reticle MUST match Turrets even more important than SFP or FFP in my opinion). As for FFP & SFP there are adv. dis adv. So were I have not been able to afford Quality FFP's I run SFP MIL/MIL NXS's as I beleive they are the best value for money you can get. To get better you need to go to FFP USO's SB's etc. They are very rugged etc. I really beleive the "Law of diminishing returns" really kicks in when you move past NXS.

With NXS you get great reliability and for my purposes with a LRF and plenty of time FFP is probably not such a great advantage for my purposes although its a nice feature. Finer substension of a SFP reticle is an advantage at times as well.

Oh you need difefrent types of magnification etc. for different purposes so really as long as your long range rifles all have same adj. etc. its fine.

What Rob said.....

I know that when I finally get around to building(or I should say rebuilding)my 30.06 I plan on putting another Lupy MK IV LR/T on it. Just because that's what's on my 308.

If you are talking about bolt rifles, then my answer is yes, I would love to have the same glass on all of my bolt guns (if I could swing it that is)

I think the main thing is the turrets and reticles.I recently ran into problems with my set up because my NF's elevation was backwards from my s&b and i would turn the knob the wrong way trying to go up and would go down.So i just sold the NF and got another s&b from adam bauer! now my turrets are the same and i dont have that problem anymore.

I like to use the same.

When youre more familiar with one type of scope I feel its just easier overall..

I too had a budget problem. I had to sell alot of my colletion to make it happen. I am down to only a few rifles, but I finally equipped them the way I wanted too. Sold all my mixed glass and extra AR's. I found myself not shooting the guns that had funky glass and was not that great when I did.
18" AR ~~ NF 1-4x24 MOA knobs & reticle
20" Bolt ~~ NF 2-10x32 MOA knobs & reticle
25" Bolt ~~ NF 3-15x50 MOA knobs & reticle
For me it makes more sense to have at least all MOA or all MIL.
Brandon

its what Boltripper do with 3 out of 4 of his bolt guns......so i'm a purist.....what can i say

I have to say that given my funding options (very limited) I have different glass on all of my rifles. I do have a brand preference that I generally stick to unless I find an outstanding deal on something. I have recently acquired a Burris XTR624 and am looking for ideas for a rifle build for it.

Just my opinion but funding is my only issue with any of my firearms purchasing.

I'm trying to uniform all my match rifles, same stock, action (except for my one Savage) and scopes. I'm one more SN3 and AICS from having them all the same. I don't know how necessary it is, but I prefer it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">joe-in-tx

cool picture, who's money are they playing with? </div></div>

pretty much theirs probably. they were all self made by the time they were elected.

Unlike your president.

but you know this is the wrong forum for this....

"TOP PREDATOR" of what? the meek?

I think match the optics to the application 100%.
No S&B PM II on an LMT MRP M4 with a 10.5" barrel... No Eotech on an AWM in .338.

Cover all fields and get proficient over a variety of weapons.

I have CCW knobs and some form of the Gen II reticle in all of my scopes.

All those presidents are republicans. You can be damn certain that is taxpayer money on the table. But, the money has probably "trickled down" by now.

i agree that there are different types of optics for different weapons and missions. so, here i am just speaking of my remington bolt guns. i have a .223, .308, .300 WM. all guns are built exactly the same right down to the slings (large action and small action parts being identical except where length is reuired for large action). when you get behind one of my rifles, you have no idea what caliber it is till you fire. these rifles are kinda like golf clubs. they are all a matched set. differences being only, choices are made per mission requirement. the world is not perfect. however, with enough priority, one can make his gear perfect.

If I had same scope for every rifle, I think I'd have one rifle. My Schmidt is great, love the entire rifle, however, I'll never have another one on another stick. That said, how about "classics". I'm getting an M40A1 done, no way I would put one on that. My .22, won't swing the scope even if I could. Just can't justify it.

rifles are chosen for range and target types. if you have purchased an adequate piece of equipment, then you should be fine with it on other rifles of same purpose (thought i clarified we were only speaking of sniper rifles and not .22's).
i have a friend with an authentic m40 with peroid scope. it's a wonder we killed any vc with that piece! my hats off to those guys that had to use that. some guys collect and some guys actually use these little gems. i can't stand a safe full of mixmatched crap. so wouldn't it make sense to find what works and duplecate for consistant results.
one final note, if one really is happy with his selection, why wouldn't he use it on his .22? maybe it just can't be justified in the wallet.

I would have to say stick with the same glass. If you have several different scopes you have to remember the little differences between each one. Same scope all you need is the dope for the rifle. I have NF on all my rifles. Just pick a setup you like and stick with it.

I voted B.
Too much variation in my sticks to cover all the bases with one optic brand. A 3-15Premier just ain't gonna fly on a 6lb .17cal stick. But a NXS Compact sure will...
I've pretty much been working toward going all NXS on my hunting sticks and Premier on my dedicated precision bolt guns...

Here is what I am running for know on my bolt guns. I will possible upgrade other scopes in the future. Maybe get one reticle for all!!!

300wm Vortex Viper
308 Sightron SIII
223 Lupy Mark 4

I think the answer sort of depends on how many and how many different types of rifles you own? Money aside, it's tough to imagine the exact same scope working best on a long range tactical rifle, a magnum bolt hunting rifle, a Marlin .30-30 and a Ruger 10/22 fun gun. It may work within a specific category of rifles, or you can try and stick to the same brand or characteristics.

I think AJ was assuming people would speak of their long range precision rifles and not hunting rifles, .22s and pellet guns but i could be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think AJ was assuming people would speak of their long range precision rifles and not hunting rifles, .22s and pellet guns but i could be wrong. </div></div>

I was more interested in precision rigs, but it seems to me that a lot of people are going the route of buying a nice long range stick, and then buying a .22 trainer. Seems to me, if you're going to go that route, why not buy the same glass and whatnot (especially those going the AICS with an AICS .22-type trainer)??

As for hunting rifles, I wasn't really curious about those... but if it's all you've got then I guess that's what you've got to work with.

If the .22 was a trainer set up like the larger rifle it would be a good idea. That's why I use the same scope on my practice .308 and my match 6.5 Creedmoor so that I get used to the reticle and sight picture. Same would go for a .22 trainer.

when i responded, i said i was speaking of my bolt guns only. and, i probably should have specified, my bolt guns are all "tac" rifles. and if i choose to hunt with a rifle, i have no probs fielding any rifle i own. i feel that the more uniform your equipment is the more consistant the performance will be. and if i were to use a .22 as a trainer, you bet it would be as close as possible to the weapon i was intending to train for. i even deploy my tippmann paintball guns exactly as i do my AR.