• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Same loads...different results...I'm frustrated!

pdogsbeware

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Colorado/Minnesota
I need your help guys! I'm sick of trying to figure this out, it's starting to hurt my brain! haha So I am asking for the help from the wealth of knowledge that is the hide, as I only have the basic knowledge, and very little experience. This is only the second load I've ever worked up.

Here's the deal, I switched bullets from a 55gr to a 53 gr v-max for my 22-250. I started from scratch and decided to do the ladder test, so first picture here is of the ladder test, done twice on same paper (you might not be able to read the holes, they are marked 1, 2, etc) range was 425 yards. Temperature was 44 degrees Fahrenheit. By the way this is with Varget.
29nxc2b.jpg

So from these results, I figured my node was between 34.2gr and 35.0. So next I loaded 4 each (yes, yes, "5 is best", shoot me) And went out the next day for 100 yard groups. Temperature was 47 degrees, wind 7-8 mph from the 11 o'clock. Printed these groups (If you wonder why the dot, I have the NP-2DD reticle, I just cover the dot on paper with the reticles dot). Not the best, but not bad. Of note is the circles group, 34.8 grs at .010 off the lands.
6p2joo.jpg

I figured I was on to something. So I went out the next day after loading some random things, and this happened. Notice the exact same load (circled. I didn't even touch my seater die) Suddenly is not so good. Temperatue was 42 degrees, wind 3-4mph from the 10 o'clock.
jjtc2u.jpg

WTF!?

Just to add to it, I had fiddled before, and had tried these loads. All at 35.7gr, just different seating depths. Note the underlined ones...they'll come up later. It was two months ago, so I can't remember the conditions. If I had to guess, it was high 40s, wind not a factor as I was next to a berm which ran the length to the target to negate the effect. No wind was discernible.
53v03o.jpg

So I thought, ok, I'll try some of those again. The underlined ones here show what happened. Same 42 degrees, 3-4mph wind.
s25g15.jpg

What the hell is happening!? Why will my gun shoot the same loads differently day after day? Yes, I thought of shooter error first. Go ahead and say it! You'll have to take my word for it that this wasn't me. I am not the best shot, but when working up loads, I take extra extra care into being as precise and repeatable as I can be.

Before doing the ladder test, I lightly cleaned the barrel, then fire 15-20 rounds through to be positive it's "fouled". The rest of the tests were done without further cleaning. (with the 55gr bullets, I would clean only every 200-300 rounds, with no noticeable decrease in accuracy.) I doubt it's a scope issue as it's a Nightforce NXS. But, I suppose it is a possibility. Brass was prepped the same way every time, full length sized and trimmed to same length. It's a posibility the barrel is just shot, I do shoot it pretty hot in the prairie dog towns. But it's only at 1,800 rounds total. And on the second pic you can see the group labeled 35.7 at 2.360. That's with my old load of the 55gr vmaxs, and that load was developed before I just had a muzzle brake installed. Those were my "warm up" shots, so I was just messin around. But I would guess a worn barrel would shoot worse than that, would it not? Barrel is a Lothar-Walther 24in, 1 in 12 twist, 6 groove, stainless.

I realize sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just give in that a gun doesn't like a certain bullet. While it would be nice to get this bullet to shoot, I'm mostly just curious! WHY is this happening!?

Re: Same loads...different results...I'm frustrated!

2.555" OAL, tip of bullet to case head if I'm reading this correctly. 55 V-max this leaves about 0.110" of bullet bearing surface in the neck. I don't have a 53 V-max to check with but I doubt it is giving you any more bullet in the neck.

I'd say you don't have enough bullet in the neck to get consistant ignition. When you get to that little bearing surface being held by the neck, I'd seat base of bullet is just above neck/shoulder junction and vary powder charge.

Fourth picture down, #12 what is the deal there?

You're right, there isn't much of the bullet in the neck. Since it's a single shot I didn't think it'd matter since nothing is going to jar the bullet loose, and everyone always makes a point to "kiss the lands" for best accuracy. And I didn't know that would make a difference on ignition? The powder already doesn't fill the case all the way, how could that extra gap make a difference? And no this isn't me disagreeing or arguing, I just really am curious as to how it makes a difference.

#12 in the fourth pic was my old load again, the 55gr vmax.

Your gun doesn't like that bullet. Try a bullet that is significantly lighter or heavier. My 223 loves 63 grain semipoint bullets but anything 61-62 grains won't shoot worth a darn. It also likes 40 grain bullets but the middleweights ~55 grains look like a shotgun pattern.

I think your gun likes the 55 grain bullet better. If it were me I'd buy a bunch of it.

my gun (22-250) haates varget and flat base bullets try 52 gr a-max and h380 or h414.

Or 50gr moly-coated Blitzkings over a stout load of Varget, WW brass, Rem 9 1/2 primer.
Agree with the above poster about inconsistent ignition possibly related to long COL. General rule of thumb is about a caliber in the case and you are about half of that.

1911fan

why are you f/l sizing everytime ?

are you using an ogive tool ?

whats your neck tension like ?

is your ES/SD consistent or like your groups , does that vary day to day to ?

1800 rounds is allot , the 22-250 is an overbore cartridge. I might point my finger at that.

1800 will wash out any 22-250 shot at a varmint hunters pace> If you can get access to a bore scope look down the tube, the only reason I say this is with that many rounds down the tube it's not going to hold very much longer for varmint 1/2 MOA shooting and you could just be wasting your time and munition components when you could apply it and your time and efforts to a better barrel and or a new rifle>