• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Same Price: Buy a rifle or build a rifle?

TrooperBrian

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
Idaho, USA
Say you can buy a Sako TRG-42 .338LM for $2200.

I can build my own .338LM for about the same price.

Badger M2008: $1000
Krieger: $300
Mount/Thread: $275
XLR Chassis: $800
Total Built: $2375

Now I don't know much about the TRG-42, or how well they actually shoot. I'm pushing about 1200yd right now with a .308, and there are places I can get 2000yd or more, thus the .338LM build.

So given the choice, the prices are about the same. Would you build one or buy one?

Re: Same Price: Buy a rifle or build a rifle?

Build it. If you have put this much thought into building, i think your mind is made up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hunt4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Build it. If you have put this much thought into building, i think your mind is made up. </div></div>

I agree you have your build already.

build it with a stiller tac 338 action. its super cheap right now in the group buy section!!!

You can get better performance building as long as the smith does his job but the sako is an excellent platform. Mind you the build it performance advantage is not going to be all that great but it will be exactly what you want with no compromise whereas the sako may not be exactly what you're after.

Buy it. If you like the TRG, buy it. Unless you have a personal buddie that is a gunsmith and he gets your work done "almost too quick".

My experience with having rifles built has been a TOTAL LET DOWN. Timelines are NEVER met and they get the big parts right but ALL the details get lost in the emails and phone calls.

If you still decide to build, do not ship your rifle out of state. Send it to someone that you could drive and see if/when problems occur. That's my $.02

Buy it if you want it now! IF you can wait I would do the build. I have had a rifle built using a 700 action. It took it awhile to be completed but was well worth the wait & I bought a Savage 10 that I had several upgrades done to. IF you have it built just be prepared for a wait & deal with a smith that is easy to deal with & you can contact easily because it will turn into a newborn child, you'll call everyday checking in on it! I've found have a rifle built to what you want usually turns out better because for the most part it's set to your standards, where as an off the shelf rifle you have to modify to your likings.

If you don't want to take a chance, buy TRG-22/42 is a sure shot. Building makes sense if you have something specific in mind, or you enjoy the "experience." Whatever makes your heart pump like those moments in high school...

Depends how patient you are. The TRG, or some other sweet, used rifle from the post exchange can be in your hands next week.

The "build" will not. Count on your build taking 3-4 times longer than you figure it "should" take. Lead/delivery times suck.

Don't forget about a trigger, muzzlebrake, bipod, optics,optics mounting, sling, magazine(s) etc etc when comparing prices.

Lastly, no offense intended whatsoever, but I think you're tripping if you think you can build a 338 for anywhere near $2400 out the door!

And don't forget "tooling up" to load 338 will cost ~$500-1000 as well.

I agree with above... If you have a specific configuration in mind that you're having trouble finding, build one. Otherwise, I think there are some really good options you can buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy it. If you like the TRG, buy it. Unless you have a personal buddie that is a gunsmith and he gets your work done "almost too quick".

My experience with having rifles built has been a TOTAL LET DOWN. Timelines are NEVER met and they get the big parts right but ALL the details get lost in the emails and phone calls.

If you still decide to build, do not ship your rifle out of state. Send it to someone that you could drive and see if/when problems occur. That's my $.02 </div></div>

^totally agree with this, especially the part about building in your own state.

i might be a bit sore on this subject as i recently got ripped off by LSR llc along with several other people.

Since i have sold some things and scrapped together some cash and I am half way done piecing together a rig. from a rifle i had just bought and things i bought that i want to change on it.

time spent on this....3 weeks, i will have a rifle next week and it will be done in another 2 weeks most likely. 5 weeks from nothing to something

i waited 3 yrs for my custom from LSR and ended up in the hole

(by no means am i comparing LSR to any other smith, just stating my poor experience which would fall into the minority)

A heavy stock like the AICS stock will help reduce the recoil and make the rifle more pleasant to shoot. Im not sure how much the stock you mention weighs. The TRG is a great rifle, but the stock doesn't weigh as much as it should, nor does it have a heavy recoil pad. Just my opinion. Both options will work. TRG is good to go right out of the box, no mods necesary. The build is a project/learning experience.

I have both a trg 22 and a custom 700 308 that was in a xlr. If you like the trg as it is buy it. It is instant gratification and you can go shooting now.

If there is something you don't like about the trg then go the custom route, stock design, barrel length or contour. The building will cost more but it will be exactly what you want. The quality will be there either way, it is about the wants and the ergonomics.

I parted out the custom 700 and bought a second trg to turn into 260.

buy it.

It will work. You can get it now. If you have a problem, you have an international business which has seen it all before and can straighten it out for you.

There is a thread on here somewhere with a lot of input from Frank on the topic of custom vs AI. Some interesting views.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say you can buy a Sako TRG-42 .338LM for $2200.

Now I don't know much about the TRG-42, or how well they actually shoot. I'm pushing about 1200yd right now with a .308, and there are places I can get 2000yd or more, thus the .338LM build.

So given the choice, the prices are about the same. Would you build one or buy one? </div></div>

That's a tough decision to make.

Do you mean building it yourself or having a smith build the Badger? It's going to take more money than $2375 by the time you buy a trigger, have a muzzle brake installed and whatever else I'm not thinking of. I agree with the above poster about building a heavy rifle unless you are going to be walking around with it. The extra weight really pays off in a heavy rifle. I recommend a APA fat bastard muzzle brake as well.

The TRG42 is a fantastic rifle! They are kinda light for a 338L though.

I would build but that is me, I like projects. Stiller action from the group buy and a rock barrel from the group buy and you are a little under $1100. Not a bad start. 500 for smith work, stock/chassis of your choice and trigger. Get the exact rifle you want for less than 3k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say you can buy a Sako TRG-42 .338LM for $2200.

So given the choice, the prices are about the same. Would you build one or buy one? </div></div>

I actually found a guy who is building full custom cz action 338lm for 2000.00 HET stock, schneider barrels, dagley brake, and kepplinger match triggers. I priced mine out with him for 1900.00 as i still have credit at my smiths lol.

Interesting perspectives, I don't mind the wait because the Krieger won't even be here until well into June, it's the only part I've ordered so far. I'm not in any hurry to get it together.

My LRTR in .308 right now runs about 18lbs, so I'm not too concerned about the weight.

I get dealer pricing on some items, so the prices either way will be pretty close to each other. Seems the opinions are pretty split between both. Maybe I should add a poll to the thread?

Definitely build. I couldn't be happier with the build I just recently did.

Jump on that Stiller! (unless you really want a Badger)