• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Same rifle same optimum load for .308

spersky

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
I am just wondering. A friend of mine has the exact same GAP .308 rifle as I do. He recommended the scenar 155 in lapua brass with 46gr or RL15 CCI BR primers and 2.82 C.O.L.

If I copy that load, I figure I will be in the money. Will the harmonics be different and require a different load?

I was going to use this method to find my best load http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

But, we have the exact same rifle, so I should be good to go with his optimized load.

any comments?

Re: Same rifle same optimum load for .308

Take his load and go 1.5 grains (if he's not at max) in either direction by .5 gr increments at his OAL. Start with the 1.5 gr low load first and work up. Then you can play with the seat depth if needed.

It will likely shoot well with his load and many other loads but will have a best load that is almost surely different from his.

46gr RL15 under 155 Scenars is a very safe load, Ive gone as high as 46.9gr and still no pressure (in Lapua case) I have had mutiple rifles hammer with 46.2gr RL15, seems to be a sweet spot right around that charge weight that do well in a lot of rifles, much like FGMM ammo.

Do the work up with the OCW method, you will learn something. Its not that difficult to do, then you will know how, which IMO will serve you alot better.

Planning to do the workup for the SMK 175. I find it very interesting. I just wanted a solid base to start.

Depending on case used loads vary if Winchester at 2.8 OAL RL-15
I would start 43.5 and run OCW in .3 graduations round robin, 2 min. between shots. Usually OCW in 44.5-45 range, RL-15 usually has a ocw spread of only .6 gr. Look for common POI not group size, confirm loads with common POI one round each at 300 yds if possible, select load OWC ajust seating depth to tune.

RL-15 according to my notes has a .7 fps increase or decrease for each degree temp. Please work up slowly

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

There is an excellent chance that your gun will end up optimized within 0.15 gr of your buddy's gun.

However, since you don't know, start low (say 1.5 gr low) and then work up watchinig pressure signs and group sizes and make the best choice for your gun. After OCW, then work on finding the best jump for your gun, which might be different than your buddy's gun--and is something you have to chase anyway as the throat slowly erodes.