• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Same seating die, different projectiles, off by .050

Rh0dz

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2019
FL
www.impressionzprinting.com
I'm running a 6.5cm bolt and have been running Berger long range target 140s exclusively for this rifle. I don't have a hunting round and found some 140 Berger elite hunters and figured I'd throw up 5 with my LR target load and see how it grouped considering they are the same weight. When I seated the bullet, the CBTO was .050 longer than the LR targets. I'm jumping my LR targets .055 so this would put the elite hunters at 5 thou off. Am I missing something? I thought the seating die works by seating with the Ogive which should match with my comparator to the base of the brass, correct? I'm using a Redding seating die w/ vld stem.

I'm sure I'm overlooking a simple variable but my brain is starting to hurt.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpeg
    IMG_1682.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1680.jpeg
    IMG_1680.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 20
Your seating die is not seating at the ogive. Also the ogive is likely going to be in a different place on those two bullets. Yes they are both 140gr Bergers but they are different. Use your comparator to measure from the bullet base to the ogive on both of those bullets. I'm betting there is about .050 difference.

Reactions: Rh0dz
Measure BTO with just the bullet in the comparator/caliper. What's the difference between the two bullets?

Totally different profile on the bullet
This. Remember, the ogive is the entire curved part of the bullet between the point where bore diameter ends and the bullet tip. Your seating stem will contact the ogive at a point on the bullet equal to the inside diameter of the tip of the seating stem. The point on the bullet ogive that equals that specific diameter will be different for different bullet profiles.

1705630981721.jpeg

Last edited: