• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Sample list Questions on Scopes

SOE_technician

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2013
Boro/Nash
Hey there SH,

So I am in the process of getting a new scope and looking at the SWFA 16X , My only question is the one on sample list that I am looking at is sold out except one in the C class which according to the legend on the site means obvious signs of wear.... so still get it for the lower price or wait on a B or A and pay more. If its only cosmetic i could care less as I am to understand SWFA are built to last. Whats yalls take and experience ?

It is only a cosmetic blemish. Many times these scopes are either show samples or trade ins. As a result they show wear and cannot be sold as new. If you do not care if your scope is nice and pretty it is a good way to save some cash.

Buy it. Its just cosmetic, and its a SS with lifetime warranty.

Then Paint it with a rattle can and match your rifle.

I got an A 16x from their used department. When it arrived the turret screws were all loose and one of the top screws was free in the box. Their shipping does suck, IMO. Mine was shipped in a rectangular box with a little paper and the scope was inside another box inside that one with no padding/paper at all. I doubt it hurt anything, but I'd like it to have been held in place rather than rattling around the whole trip.

I got an A 16x from their used department. When it arrived the turret screws were all loose and one of the top screws was free in the box. Their shipping does suck, IMO. Mine was shipped in a rectangular box with a little paper and the scope was inside another box inside that one with no padding/paper at all. I doubt it hurt anything, but I'd like it to have been held in place rather than rattling around the whole trip.

But despite all that does it work find and how do you like the 16 X

Thanks for the replies guys I didnt think SWFA would post damaged goodsto resale but I have never purchased from them so I just wanted some word of mouth

It worked fine, but I sold it and the rifle it went on soon after I got it.

I wouldn't worry much about ordering it. Their CS is great.

If it ain't right when it arrives, send it back, they stand behind their stuff.

I own most of the SS scopes and they are money well spent. They usually don't ship with documentation and they do save money/space/trees/something with minimal packaging on the older SS models, but I have yet to see a problem with a scope because it wasn't wrapped in silk and covered in "fragile" stickers.

My only concern with the 16X and 20X SSs is that they do a thing really well, but if you ain't doing that thing (dedicated range gun, long range, never in low light or with high mirage), they aren't ideal. That said, if you are set on a 16X SS and they have one on the sample list, it's almost a no brainer. It will be used but should be plenty serviceable.

I own most of the SS scopes and they are money well spent. They usually don't ship with documentation and they do save money/space/trees/something with minimal packaging on the older SS models, but I have yet to see a problem with a scope because it wasn't wrapped in silk and covered in "fragile" stickers.

My only concern with the 16X and 20X SSs is that they do a thing really well, but if you ain't doing that thing (dedicated range gun, long range, never in low light or with high mirage), they aren't ideal. That said, if you are set on a 16X SS and they have one on the sample list, it's almost a no brainer. It will be used but should be plenty serviceable.

I have looked through the 16 X and and it was like a 55+ optical lens bright on some thousand dollar scope but considering have been using a nikon 3x9x40 for ranges out to 700 and really only having any level of precision out to 550 at 12'' steel plates i think this will be a considerable move up. your thoughts? just wondering if I am missing something just due to wanting to move up lol.

I don't know anything about Nikon 3-9s, but the 16X will work fine for longer range precision fire. It will be suffer from mirage in hot weather (or over a very hot barrel) and it will be darker than the 10X or other lower power (same diameter objective) options.

It is a great scope for the money, but it will not do many things a good (far more expensive) variable will do.

I also bought a SWFA 5-20 x 50 non-illuminated scope off of the Sample List. It was listed as a "B", but I really can not find any imperfections or signs of handling, ogling, etc. Be sure to click on the "see the full list" option, as I visited the page several times while searching for a scope before I saw this option. And, low and behold, there was what I was seeking. I also called the main phone number and spoke with a gentleman named Dillon. He was very helpful and I had the scope in hand in about 3 days.

+1, got a SS-HD off the sample list that had a reticle issue, sent it back and got a replacement that was perfect. No BS, no hassle.

+1 again, these are rugged scopes and don't need tons of protection. Most scope boxes are trash 2 minutes after you open them, so why do they need to be fancy painted? I would guess that the generic packaging is one of the cost-saving measures on the SS series.

Agree yet again - I had a SS 16x42 that came with a used rifle I bought. It was a bit dim and had a very small depth of field. Would have been fine for dedicated bench use at longer distances, but not good for any kind of hunting, etc. I would not go above the 12x magnification in the fixed power SS series unless the one and only use for that scope will be at a shooting bench on a known distance range punching paper.

I bought a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 listed as a "B" on the sample list a couple of years ago. It came without any paperwork, and in a plain box, but it didn't have a mark on it. If I hadn't known it was used I would have thought it was a new scope. They seem to rate the condition lower than what most would, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the scope if it is what you want and the price is right.

Last edited: