• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Samplelist.com/SWFA Grading System

Blueclawz

Sergeant
Minuteman
So I was looking for a cheap piece of glass for a project I just wrapped up. Came across an IOR 4-14 that I considered a decent buy at $800 - read over the grading system A,B,C everything indicated that the scopes are thoroughly examined and graded accordingly. I even read over some other scopes which specifically indicated missing pieces, extras, damage etc.
FF Today - Scope arrives USPS priority mail..Open the box nice and tightly packaged...objective is clearly dinged! Now a bell ding is past "sign of use" and borderline..."sign somebody was not paying attention and dinged it"..and well worth saying.."objective bell has ding. So I grasp the phone and begin the process...

- "SWFA this is Josh...oh a ding you say..well I have nothing to indicate a ding in the system...mmmmmm oh....mmm...well I'm sorry there is nothing I can offer you...mmm oh..." (if I had a warm mouth covering my manhood it would have been the best hummer ever) Anyway...so now my "Good Deal" is tainted...

So my inquiry is this...Anybody else been surprised by SWFA grading system.I assume had I wanted to trade the scope to them and it had an objective bell ding they probably would not take it in...?

Re: Samplelist.com/SWFA Grading System

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with SWFA. The one time I bought off the sample list, I'd have sworn the item was brand new and maybe just handled.

I would call back and talk to Chris or Brady and explain your situation. SWFA is known for their top shelf customer service. Give them another chance to make it right. Even with the best customer service, sometimes things slip through.

Hopefully you'll be taken care of.

Definitely not our policy. If you are not satisfied with a SL purchase we send a call tag and refund you 100%.

We do strive to accurately describe all SL products, but we miss some now and then. My apologies.

Shoot me an e-mail with your contact info and I will have customer service get with you in regards to getting a call tag en route.

[email protected]

Wow. Amazing customer service, rarely see anything like that nowadays.

I know if I buy a scope, it will be from SWFA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Amazing customer service, rarely see anything like that nowadays.

I know if I buy a scope, it will be from SWFA. </div></div>I second that notion. Wish I was getting one sooner than later though

I just received a SS16x that was "B" grade off the sample list and I have no idea why it wasn't "A". I can't see any signs of use.

I have gotten items ranging from USO's to SS's off the sample list and they have never disappointed me.

...and as you see above, their commitment to your satisfaction is top rate!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just received a SS16x that was "B" grade off the sample list and I have no idea why it wasn't "A". I can't see any signs of use.

I have gotten items ranging from USO's to SS's off the sample list and they have never disappointed me.

...and as you see above, their commitment to your satisfaction is top rate!! </div></div>

Agreed, I have gotten a few things off the sample list and they were BETTER than described.... their customer service has always been above and beyond in my dealings...

Nicely done Chris
smile.gif
couldn't be done better than this.

Aron-

That is awesome Chris! I have spoken to Josh on a number of occasions. He has always been spot on with info or directions. These Texas boys do a great job. Know one is perfect but they are trying to be the best!

My money for glass goes to SWFA or Primary Arms in Pearland! FYI both sponsor the Hide!

I recently purchased a 1-4 SS that was graded as a "B"
I looked and looked and could not for the life of me figure out why it wasn't an "A" grade. I think the grade "A" stuff come with that hummer you mentioned. SWFA customer service is the absolute best compared to ANY company that I've ever dealt with. From McDonald's to Chrysler, they beat them all!!!

I just completed a trade in with SWFA. I can say this was the best customer service I have EVER received. They gladly answered all of my questions and went above and beyond to help me find the right scope for my needs. I will buy all of my scope from SWFA in the future. My "B grade" on the Nikon Monarch X is amazing. I really have no clue why it was not an A.

Thanks again for the great customer service. And I hope you take advantage of their offer so you can see that they do stand behind their word.

Good luck and happy shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Amazing customer service, rarely see anything like that nowadays.

I know if I buy a scope, it will be from SWFA.</div></div>

Agreed. That's pretty impressive.

(So I was looking for a cheap piece of glass)
You did not say what grade the scope was you purchased, cheapest then complain, some people!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(So I was looking for a cheap piece of glass)
You did not say what grade the scope was you purchased, cheapest then complain, some people! </div></div>

Yes - Cheap as in C-Grade IOR 4-14x50 @ $800. Not a bushnell banner for $75. Don't open your mouth until you gather the facts.

On another note - pics were sent over to Chris as requested on Saturday and I have not heard anything since nor a response to a PM, Email and Telephone call I made just today. I will consider the matter addressed once I see some resolution not just saying its going to be handled.

Sorry for the delay, Monday here is very hectic and I receive quite a few e-mails a day and they really accrue over weekends.

I would like to recap to make sure I have everything correct. Josh's story is a little different than yours and your response to my PM confirms this.

I know the customer is always right and I am not attempting to argue with you, I am just presenting all of the facts in our defense since you chose a public forum to resolve a grievance with our company.

You bought this scope from us for $799.95.

spl13853.jpg

Actual image from SampleList.com

We rated the worst of our three categories (Grade C) and priced it accordingly.

We did not mention that the objective was dented. See evidence of dent from photos you e-mailed me over the weekend.

Scope1.JPG

Scope2.JPG

You received scope and called and spoke to one of our salesmen (Josh), you were upset at the time by your own admission. Josh answered your questions, was looking into the description and order details when you abruptly said something to the effect of, "Ok, I suppose I will have to deal with on my own then thanks", then hung up on him.

Josh is a good kid and an asset to SWFA, so when I first read your post I was very surprised. I immediately spoke to him within minutes of your post and his conversation was still very fresh on his mind. He told me that he did not tell you there was nothing we could do and that you did not give him a chance to get you to customer service, which would be the only people that have the rights to make decisions.

Basically we were not afforded the proper opportunity to resolve your issue.

We have hundreds of items at any given time waiting to go on The SL site and we strive to give them the most accurate rating we can and in this case we succeeded. We did fail by not describing in detail what attributes the scope displayed that justified its C rating. You feel that since some products on The SL have additional descriptions detailing damage that this one should have had the same.

We would like to send a call tag and refund you 100%.

I have bought from/sold to the sample list many times, I've always had good luck. If anything, like others, expectations have been exceeded.

Maybe that, Chris, is the problem: if a deal isn't unreasonably, unbelievably good, people think they are getting shafted.

That scope sells for about $1100 new, $800 used seems more than reasonable if the dent is cosmetic, glass is good, all else is good.

A "C" rating is a "C" rating, I'd say buyer got what SWFA was selling, maybe he wanted more for his money, hard to knock SWFA for that.

Great service, yet again.

Blueclawz, I'd look at Countersniper optics, it's right in your price range and you'll find no dents on those cool bitches.

SWFA rises to the occation again! Seems like ever time someone tries to claim foul on them the truth comes out and its always a different story. Chris, your going above and beyond my friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVT_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris, your going above and beyond my friend. </div></div>

"You're going above and beyond, my friend."

Punctutation is a bitch, otherwise Chris is just going above and beyond your friend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Punctutation</div></div> Then there's spelling. :)

Seriously though, if the OP isn't satisfied after having SWFA bend over backwards (and they're not bending the other way, bud) then there's no way some people can be made happy.

" would like to recap to make sure I have everything correct. Josh's story is a little different than yours and your response to my PM confirms this.

I know the customer is always right and I am not attempting to argue with you, I am just presenting all of the facts in our defense since you chose a public forum to resolve a grievance with our company."

Ok so if the "customer is always right" then how did I end up having to explain the ding in the objective (which Josh clearly denied on the phone with me - and in fact did not even offer an explanation for?) I mentioned the possiblity that perhaps it was a USPS issue...still nothing. The customer should not have to hold the hand of the customer service person to get some action. Was anybody stroking me while I keyed the credit card number into the shopping cart screen? Then it takes me coming on the Hide and updating this post today to once more spur you to respond. I did state my recent transaction with your company left me less than excited about the deal - but lets be honest you do not have a 100% customer satisfaction rating..issuing a calltag and a refund is very easy but does not address CUSTOMER SERVICE that is just owning a business that does not steal.

As for the description of A, B C = yes it was a C-Graded scope. Perhaps you should change the rating system to the following:

A Grade - scope looks like new, excellent.
B Grade - scope may have ultra light signs of use but nearly new.
C Grade - Scope could have a slight scratch or missing the turret covers, bent tube, ring marks and ran over by a truck or none of these.

Actual Grading System from SWFA/Samplelist.com website:
Product Grading Information
DEMO A: Like New In Box
DEMO B: Shows Very Slight Wear From Use
DEMO C: Shows Obvious Signs of Use

So would an objective bell ding be considered an obvious sign of USE? That was my intial inquiry and reason I made the post - not "I came to the hide because SWFA screw me...please help"

I'm keeping the scope = its mounted and I shot it this weekend with no issues. Its what I wanted from the start in the power, reticle and price range for this particular package. I did offer a solution of a partial refund or future discount but I think it best if I take my business elsewhere as my expectations appear to beyond those of the average SWFA/Samplelist.com customer. Clearly my problem was not a SWFA problem until I made a post...so perhaps you do have something to DEFEND.

Please explain this "bending over backwards for me" that Chris is making the appearance of doing?

If you are referring to issuing a call-tag and then a refund. Thats not bending over backwards - thats normal business. I highly doubt any of you would be making this statement had you purchased a new TV and got home only to find the front of it bent..then having to drive back to the store and explain the damage. Would you still consider it bending over backwards if they reached in the drawer and handed you back your money?
What about the time you spent shopping?
What about the fact that they dont even offer another TV?
What about your time wasted driving back and forth?

You guys have really low standards if issuing a refund for a misrepresented item is "bending over backwards"

Also my grammar and spelling may not meet your high standards but most anybody I communicate with understands what I am saying without making a point of stopping conversation to correct.

Blueclawz Im all for exposing BS from companys but SWAFA other than they dont post overseas which really gives me annoys me have a very good rep! You might be attacking a vendor willing to help you with a little much enthusiasim .
Come on SWAFA ship to New Zeland please /change your policy

You didn't buy a new scope so how can you compare it to buying a new TV?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blueclawz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please explain this "bending over backwards for me" that Chris is making the appearance of doing?

If you are referring to issuing a call-tag and then a refund. Thats not bending over backwards - thats normal business. I highly doubt any of you would be making this statement had you purchased a new TV and got home only to find the front of it bent..then having to drive back to the store and explain the damage. Would you still consider it bending over backwards if they reached in the drawer and handed you back your money?
What about the time you spent shopping?
What about the fact that they dont even offer another TV?
What about your time wasted driving back and forth?

You guys have really low standards if issuing a refund for a misrepresented item is "bending over backwards"

Also my grammar and spelling may not meet your high standards but most anybody I communicate with understands what I am saying without making a point of stopping conversation to correct. </div></div>

Dude...you are belligerent and irrational. You have know idea how unreasonable and immature you sound right now. Please never post on this forum again. ...You have nothing of value to add.

That's not dented! It's made that way to fit on a heavy barreled rifle
wink.gif
sorry you're probably in a mood for a joke

Let me go out on a limb here...

"Dear SWFA, i want more moneys because i took a risk on buying used equipment that was of the lowest quality on your scale, i feel that your scale does not accurately describe the equipment because I'm unhappy with the particular cosmetic blemish that mines came with. Please include a D Grade for dinged and dented so that i can buy more stuff thats been made available at a good price point.

Love,

The reason we have stupid safety warning stickers and lawsuits guy"

Blue STFU and send the scope back if you are not happy with it.. Easy enough huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You didn't buy a new scope so how can you compare it to buying a new TV? </div></div>

For the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue,

While SWFA may have made a mistake they are trying to make it right after you came onto a public forum and blasted them in a nice way. I have spent countless hours on the phone with all the SWFA staff, what you have described sounds terribly incorrect. Also, you were given an out to the situation, but you wanna keep the scope......so by that definition STFU and quit bitching.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMonty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me go out on a limb here...

"Dear SWFA, i want more moneys because i took a risk on buying used equipment that was of the lowest quality on your scale, i feel that your scale does not accurately describe the equipment because I'm unhappy with the particular cosmetic blemish that mines came with. Please include a D Grade for dinged and dented so that i can buy more stuff thats been made available at a good price point.

Love,

The reason we have stupid safety warning stickers and lawsuits guy" </div></div>

+1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You didn't buy a new scope so how can you compare it to buying a new TV? </div></div>

For the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue,

While SWFA may have made a mistake they are trying to make it right after you came onto a public forum and blasted them in a nice way. I have spent countless hours on the phone with all the SWFA staff, what you have described sounds terribly incorrect. Also, you were given an out to the situation, but you wanna keep the scope......so by that definition STFU and quit bitching.</div></div>

that would be a great sig line

The horse is dead, Chris and Blue can take it to PMs which is probably where it should have started and stayed anyways.

Carry on.