• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

San Antonio

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
Looks like the Air Force has seen fit to ass fuck me one last time before I retire and send me to San Antonio.

For those of you who live there or are familiar with the area:

- Where are the best schools?

- What areas am I least likely to have a Mexican break in my house and steal all my shit, or have a Sudanese Muslim neighbor living in a house paid for by the Biden Administration?

We moved here from Germany (Ramstein), and retired out of Randolph AFB. Hell, it’s been 8+ years now since retirement.

Time flies!

We bought a place in New Braunfels…a long commute into town, but worth it to us. We sold that place a couple years ago and moved farther out of town; also just sold our property up on Canyon Lake. We were gonna build our forever home there, but decided we like where we are now…and the $ could be used to buy several acres out in the middle of nowhere.

Prices are cheaper south, east, and west of San Antonio, but a lot of nice communities (read that as “better bring a fat wallet!”) up North and Northeast of SA. Depends on your budget and how much house/land you want.

Everything around here (real estate) has more than doubled in value over the past 8 years or so…tons of cash buyers fleeing Commiefornia, etc. driving up prices even now. The market’s definitely softer now under Bidenflation, but still roaring hot compared to the rest of the US.

The corridor between DFW and San Antonio, all the way down to Mexico actually, has absolutely gone nuts. My “little town” of New Braunfels was the fastest growing city as a % of population in the US in several quarters over the past few years. It’s basically doubled in size since we moved back here from Germany.

Short version: you’re gonna love it here. Good food and amenities, great shooting venues, and decent weather for most of the year. Hot, but not as humid as Houston, etc.

Great info, thank you. Do you know of anywhere specifically that allows night shooting? Any public land we’re allowed to shoot on?

Almost no public land to shoot on anywhere in Texas. I wound up joining a couple gun clubs , and also shoot on some family friend’s property (a couple <100 acres, one over 3K acres), helping them with hog eradication.

If you have 10+ acres, you can shoot on your own property…well, you don’t need ten to shoot, but 10+ to “hunt” is the way I read the code. Texas is extremely 2A friendly

Home schooling is your best option. SA is a shithole, just like any other urban center across the country. Traffic is brutal. Crime is increasing. It feels like you're visiting Mexico.

Take one for the team...move as far away as you can and still stomach the commute.

Good news...you'll be less than 100 miles from the People's republic of Austin. Commie adjacent.

Looks like the Air Force has seen fit to ass fuck me one last time before I retire and send me to San Antonio.

- What areas am I least likely to have a Mexican break in my house and steal all my shit, or have a Sudanese Muslim neighbor living in a house paid for by the Biden Administration?

You could always live in base housing until you pull the plug.
I doubt the base has a school, but in times gone by, the schools just outside the gate were usually pretty good.

It's been 19 years since I retired, so, I'm sure it's not exactly the same.

I do know, the Fatboy program seems to be either non-existent, or it's just way overcrowded...

Dress and appearance standards don't seem to exist, and everyone seems to have a ton of spare time to hang out at Starbucks.

Reactions: 232593
If you don’t like broken glass, just leave your car windows down…

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
You could always live in base housing until you pull the plug.
I doubt the base has a school, but in times gone by, the schools just outside the gate were usually pretty good.

It's been 19 years since I retired, so, I'm sure it's not exactly the same.

I do know, the Fatboy program seems to be either non-existent, or it's just way overcrowded...

Dress and appearance standards don't seem to exist, and everyone seems to have a ton of spare time to hang out at Starbucks.
The military you knew 19 years ago doesn’t exist anymore, unfortunately.

Home schooling is your best option. SA is a shithole, just like any other urban center across the country. Traffic is brutal. Crime is increasing. It feels like you're visiting Mexico.

Take one for the team...move as far away as you can and still stomach the commute.

Good news...you'll be less than 100 miles from the People's republic of Austin. Commie adjacent.
San Antonio, as the man said, is a true shithole. They try to make it look nice with the Riverwalk and all but....

And I-35 is a deathtrap, especially on Sundays, when Jose, Maria, 5 rugrats. Tia and Tio. aunt and uncle, and both Abuelos ( grandparents) pile into the car. Poor Jose is so stressed he can even see.

I’ve been in and out of SA for various courses throughout my career and I don’t remember the traffic being nearly as bad as it was when I was there about this time last year.

The airport had literal hundreds of illegals walking around with their government papers and crispy American dollars. Fucking crazy.

Look in the NEISD for schools - you did not say high schools or elementary or what , are you buying a house or renting = big difference , also either you take the hit on a commute or everyone learns spanglish

When was the last time you were on the riverwalk? I wont step foot down there. Smells like piss, shit and rotting fish...
You have just described the 300 largest cities in America.
1701354440199.png

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Maggot
Y’all aren’t wrong about San Antonio proper…it’s gone to shit since that commie fuck Ron Nuremburg (Yes, I know it’s spelled Nirenberg, funnier this way) got elected. And that shitstain Chief of Police William “I’m gonna fire all Trump supporters” McManus, along with Soros-backed Bexar (pronounced ‘bear’…because Texas) DA Joe Gonzales are doing their best to turn San Antonio into Austin … maybe even San Francisco.

They’re literally driving cops and other prosecutors out if they aren’t all in on DEI and wokeness, and God forbid they enforce the law! As a result, people are fleeing SA into the surrounding communities, and business follows. I hope we can save the river city, but man is it looking bad.

Luckily, everything surrounding SA is turning even deeper ‘red’ /conservative as anyone with a lick of sense gets out of the city. We just need to get the borders back in check to reverse the tide.

I hope.

As far as living situation, try the northside/boerne area, definitely not the west side, east side, and certainly not the south side unless you really like your shit getting broken into.

As far as night shooting, hit up lone star handgun in converse, they were always super cool and would give me free run of their ranges. Sons of Liberty Gunworks is based in San Antonio and they were always helpful with finding local shooting events and such.

As far as living situation, try the northside/boerne area, definitely not the west side, east side, and certainly not the south side unless you really like your shit getting broken into.

As far as night shooting, hit up lone star handgun in converse, they were always super cool and would give me free run of their ranges. Sons of Liberty Gunworks is based in San Antonio and they were always helpful with finding local shooting events and such.
Unless you go pretty far east or south…. Some areas around Lavernia are pretty nice, and good soil for cattle south of I-10 if you want to have a hobby farm/ranch…or a real one I suppose. Better than the rock garden I call a yard up in the tail end of the Tejas Hill Country anyway.

I worked there for a number of months. Stayed at an RV park overlooking the River Walk. It’s been several years back. Two places I went regularly were Bolners Meat Market and Rosario’s restaurant. Other than that I worked and did my best to avoid people.

San Antonio, as the man said, is a true shithole. They try to make it look nice with the Riverwalk and all but....

And I-35 is a deathtrap, especially on Sundays, when Jose, Maria, 5 rugrats. Tia and Tio. aunt and uncle, and both Abuelos ( grandparents) pile into the car. Poor Jose is so stressed he can even see.
Pretty much this. And yet for some reason I want to be buried in San Antone.

If you have a kiln, it can be an electric, table top furnace, plug it in, turn it to High and then stick your head in it. It's what Broadway in San Antonio feels like in August.

My gf lives north in Garden Ridge but she says the crime is getting really bad in SA.

And yeah, WTF do they feel they have to take three generations of family to go to Walmart; the kids running in front shreiking and finally Abuela hobbling along with bad hips, sucking her teeth, trying to keep up.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember living off De Zavala and I-10 and going into the Walmart and seeing tons of women in full head to toe burkas. That was interesting. And then the crime got really bad, had my car broken into once and then near totalled in a parking lot by a guy that hit it and ran. Better have your uninsured motorist protection lol. I’d honestly suggest living on base unless you can afford to live in stone oak/the dominion etc.

Base housing it is…
Kind of wish we’d have done that too… But we really wanted to be as far away from the base as I could stand to commute.

We looked in Stone Oak; beautiful places to live, and loved the amenities in that area, but the traffic was just nuts. We kept looking further, and further out in an ever-expanding ring and eventually found a nice place in New Braunfels up I-35 heading towards Austin. Awesome area.

Apparently half of the North American population likes it too, based on the population growth!

Regardless, glad we retired here. I grew up in FL, and that was a real option for us too, but I honestly feel like this is the place to be if when things truly start going sideways here in the US.

Air Force. Aim high, accept what you get.

In 1977, a friend of mine joined the Air Force. He was originally able to get into electronics school and was about halfway through when they changed his occupation and location. His training was switched to diesel mechanic and then he was transferred to the AFB in Wiesbaden, Germany. He did okay except that he had a sarge who had little guy syndrome and my friend had committed the ungodly crime of being 6' 7". So, he used to ride him like crazy. My friend, Robby, was buying a Benz on time with a private owner and did not have papers on it. Got in an accident and was arrested but der Polizei released him back to the base. Sgt Shrimpy got him discharged under general circumstances (they were trying to say that he had stolen the car.)

6 months later, he was upgraded to discharge with honorable circumstances (we were friends at the same church.)

I see evidence of that every trip to MacDill.

Kind of wish we’d have done that too… But we really wanted to be as far away from the base as I could stand to commute.

We looked in Stone Oak; beautiful places to live, and loved the amenities in that area, but the traffic was just nuts. We kept looking further, and further out in an ever-expanding ring and eventually found a nice place in New Braunfels up I-35 heading towards Austin. Awesome area.

Apparently half of the North American population likes it too, based on the population growth!

Regardless, glad we retired here. I grew up in FL, and that was a real option for us too, but I honestly feel like this is the place to be if when things truly start going sideways here in the US.

We’ve lived on base before and really didn’t like it much, but it was a different time then. Now, the housing market is so screwed up that it doesn’t make sense for us to go get a mortgage at 8% for three years when we likely will not retire there. The lines on the graph of profitability really don’t cross as quickly on a home anymore, and I don’t want to get stuck paying $100k+ over what the real market value is on a house and the bottom fall out again like in 08.

We are giving up a 2.5% interest rate on a mortgage that’s $1100 a month because of this PCS. Our housing costs alone will over double if we don’t live on base, unfortunately.

We’ve lived on base before and really didn’t like it much, but it was a different time then. Now, the housing market is so screwed up that it doesn’t make sense for us to go get a mortgage at 8% for three years when we likely will not retire there. The lines on the graph of profitability really don’t cross as quickly on a home anymore, and I don’t want to get stuck paying $100k+ over what the real market value is on a house and the bottom fall out again like in 08.

We are giving up a 2.5% interest rate on a mortgage that’s $1100 a month because of this PCS. Our housing costs alone will over double if we don’t live on base, unfortunately.
The truth of it is, barring a 2008 scenario, real estate will only go up. In theat are, really quickly. All of Texas and especially the I35 corridor from San Antonio to Georgetown. But as you said, if you dont plan to stay. Rents are high off base. I have a buddy who pays $1360 a month for a 2 BdRm 1 bath apartment. He cant sleep because of the constant noise from guess which group.

Yeah, we got lucky, but made our own luck too…bought before the market exploded here, and sold near the peak when interest rates were very low. I remember telling my wife that we’ll never see interest rates this low again in my lifetime when we bought our current home.

Sold the house from the PCS for almost double what we paid for it when we moved here in 2012, and used that as the down payment for our current home. Want to really retire soon, so we’ve been very aggressively shedding debt over the past couple years (really just the house), and have it down to less than 25% of the home’s value. Really tempted to cash in some investments and just pay it off, but we got too good of a deal on our home loan to seriously contemplate that move…basically free money. We’re making more on our money market account than the interest we’re paying on our house note.

Honestly don’t see us moving…well, ever. Prices are too high, and God forbid we need a loan; no way we’d give up the 2% we’re paying now to start over.

Our son’s looking to buy around here right now and is facing the same dilemma…not a good market for buyers around here for sure.

You left out cause you can’t sleep for the goats bhahaing next door all night👍

Northside ISD seems to be the best public schools in the area.

Its either expensive as hell, or shithole ghetto. Good news is the BAH in the area is good enough to stay out of the shitholes.

Theres several good ranges in the area, I've not found public land to shoot on in the 7 years I've been here.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
San Antonio city government, that close to the border, is what you would imagine, corrupt as fuck.

I was going to bid on a city construction project but first wanted to talk to the engineer that made the drawings, as I had some questions. When I went into the office there was the engineer who looked like a fat Edward James Olmos with gold teeth and breath that stunk like a bacteria lab culture. He even had on the cardigan sweater.

I told him what I was there for, unrolled his drawings on a desk and he didn't even want to look at them, much less talk to me. His expression and attitude was downright hostile, like who TF did I think I was, and outsider and worse, a gringo, bidding on his project.

He finally said in an accent that showed English wasn't his first language "You have concrete guy?" automatically assuming my concrete guy was Mexican. I said the affirnative and he responded "Have concrete guy call me." I should have had an Anglo buddy call him posing as my concrete guy.

Last edited:

Maybe don't sell it. Rent it out have a management company deal with it.

You don't have to sell. Rent it out with a decent management company.

My buddy bought a house here in 11. He's been to 4 duty stations since, but has never sold his house here. They're paying it off with the rent, and the retirement plan is to move back in and do a remodel to make it "new" after all the renters.

Maybe don't sell it. Rent it out have a management company deal with it.
We rented this house out in the past. It was a means to an end and worked out when we PCSd back to this location, but it was a pain in the ass. Even with a property manager. We are leaning heavily towards selling it. We stand to make $200k+ on it after the realtor takes their cut, and we don't have to worry about the liability that comes along with being a landlord again.

Not sure what the new tax code allows, but I believe you have two years to reinvest any profits off the sale of real estate and not claim the capital gain on your tax filing. Believe there’s also a one-time exemption on the sale of a primary residence/home as an individual, and/or if you file as a couple. Will ask my accountant when she gets up in a couple hours!

Now’s a good time to be debt free though, and invest any windfalls into precious metals like physical gold, silver…brass, and lead. ;-)

This is not legal or financial advice, please consult a tax professional! LoL

Not sure what the new tax code allows, but I believe you have two years to reinvest any profits off the sale of real estate and not claim the capital gain on your tax filing. Believe there’s also a one-time exemption on the sale of a primary residence/home as an individual, and/or if you file as a couple. Will ask my accountant when she gets up in a couple hours!

Now’s a good time to be debt free though, and invest any windfalls into precious metals like physical gold, silver…brass, and lead. ;-)

This is not legal or financial advice, please consult a tax professional! LoL
Thanks a ton for looking into that. I believe you are correct.

My wife and I went full Dave Ramsey a couple years ago and paid off all our consumer debt. We just have a mortgage now (which we were trying to pay down). I am so glad we did. It has given us so much financial security and freedom.

• Love
Reactions: 6.5SH and 91Eunozs
Amarillo by morning, up from San Antone.
Everything that I got is just what I got on....

When that Sun is high In that Texas sky
I'll be buckin' at the county fair
Amarillo by mornin'. Amarillo I'll be there

They took my saddle in Houston, broke my leg in Santa Fe.
Lost my wiife and a girlfriend somewhere a long the way.

But I'll be looking for eight when they pull that gate and
I hope that judge ain't blind.

Amarillo by morning, Amarillo is on my mind.