• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

San Francisco Bay Area Bans Gas Furnaces and Water Heaters

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

natural gas furnace (Getty)
Getty
Joel B. Pollak16 Mar 20231,227

Regulators in the San Francisco Bay Area voted Wednesday to eliminate the sale and installation of natural gas-powered furnaces and water heaters over eight years beginning in 2027, ostensibly to limit air pollution.
The vote was the latest step taken by left-wing jurisdictions against natural gas — a convenient and relatively clean-burning source of fuel.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported (original links):
Bay Area regulators voted Wednesday to adopt rules to phase out the sale and installation of natural-gas furnaces and water heaters over the next eight years, one of the most ambitious plans in the country to replace gas appliances with electric alternatives.
The rules, approved by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, are meant to reduce air pollution from some of the worst home-appliance offenders. The main pollutants targeted are nitrogen oxides, or NOx, which can cause acid rain and smog as well as increase risk for asthma and other respiratory diseases.
People will be able to repair their gas appliances if they break — but the rules take effect when existing gas-powered furnaces or water heaters no longer work and need to be replaced. New construction will also be required to have zero-NOx — effectively, electric — furnaces and water heaters.
The new policy does not affect gas stoves, but follows a 2020 decision by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to ban the installation of natural gas lines in new buildings. It also comes just weeks after a controversy over a proposal by the Biden administration to consider banning the sale of new gas stoves.
Democrats oppose natural gas, even though its adoption has allowed the U.S. to produce fewer carbon dioxide emissions while growing its economy, because it is still a fossil fuel and is often extracted through fracking.
Elsewhere in Los Angeles, the “Green New Deal” proposed by then-Mayor Eric Garcetti (confirmed Wednesday as U.S. Ambassador to India) seeks to phase out natural gas power plants, despite possible electricity shortages.

I can see it now, "I'm sorry sir but you will have to get your electrical panel upgraded to a 200 amp service to handle the new load for an baseboard heaters in each room and an electric water heater. And by the way, your walls will need to be torn out to allow new wiring to the baseboard heaters and the electric water heater. Oh and by the way, the walls that are torn out will have to be repaired. Here's your estimate for the work...$25,000.00. Of course you understand that you will not have any heat or hot water until the electrical upgrades are completed. When would you like us to start? Tomorrow? Sorry sir we are booked for the next year.

Cuzzzzzz they have such an excess of electrical production……….makes perfect sense……if your desires are to collapse the grid out there.

Seems to me they have elected people to run things that suffer from an enormous excess of nonsensical thought. This is yet another reason why we need to build a wall around California and not let anyone, especially those along the coast, out to ruin the rest of America. They need to stay in their self made and voted in septic tank.

natural gas furnace (Getty)
Getty
Joel B. Pollak16 Mar 20231,227

Regulators in the San Francisco Bay Area voted Wednesday to eliminate the sale and installation of natural gas-powered furnaces and water heaters over eight years beginning in 2027, ostensibly to limit air pollution.
The vote was the latest step taken by left-wing jurisdictions against natural gas — a convenient and relatively clean-burning source of fuel.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported (original links):

The new policy does not affect gas stoves, but follows a 2020 decision by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to ban the installation of natural gas lines in new buildings. It also comes just weeks after a controversy over a proposal by the Biden administration to consider banning the sale of new gas stoves.
Democrats oppose natural gas, even though its adoption has allowed the U.S. to produce fewer carbon dioxide emissions while growing its economy, because it is still a fossil fuel and is often extracted through fracking.
Elsewhere in Los Angeles, the “Green New Deal” proposed by then-Mayor Eric Garcetti (confirmed Wednesday as U.S. Ambassador to India) seeks to phase out natural gas power plants, despite possible electricity shortages.

I can see it now, "I'm sorry sir but you will have to get your electrical panel upgraded to a 200 amp service to handle the new load for an baseboard heaters in each room and an electric water heater. And by the way, your walls will need to be torn out to allow new wiring to the baseboard heaters and the electric water heater. Oh and by the way, the walls that are torn out will have to be repaired. Here's your estimate for the work...$25,000.00. Of course you understand that you will not have any heat or hot water until the electrical upgrades are completed. When would you like us to start? Tomorrow? Sorry sir we are booked for the next year.
200A is not going to do it for most modern houses these days bigger than 2br/2ba. Or barely, if so.

I personally don't have a problem with electricity being used instead of gas for heating applications because electricity is more efficient for heating homes and water, but the problem is not only can the grid not handle it, but the cost of electricity (for now at least) is just too high to get the full benefits of electric heating. The way things are going right now, 12 years is not enough time unless we start getting serious about opening more nuclear power plants.

TL;DR, simply put it's a Leftist pipe dream right now.

Reactions: 101st and lash
Obviously they need to start burning trash cans full of garbage in the middle of the house. It’s for the children

Reactions: Maggot
I personally don't have a problem with electricity being used instead of gas for heating applications because electricity is more efficient for heating homes and water, but the problem is not only can the grid not handle it, but the cost of electricity (for now at least) is just too high to get the full benefits of electric heating. The way things are going right now, 12 years is not enough time unless we start getting serious about opening more nuclear power plants.

Actually, its not. (Natural) Gas s cheaper for heating your home. Propane is more expensive but can be stored, and has much higher BTU rating than natural. Even with a heat pump I was paying close to $300 a month to heat in the winter. With natural gas its less than half of that. I'll agree on the water heaters, gas tends to burn out the bottoms. Best way is on demand.

Yea…. It’s efficient in the sense you’re getting 100% of the heat…. But when your meter is spinning nonstop cuz you’re running 20kw+ electric heat and another 10kw water heater…. I don’t want to hear complaints…. And yes heat pumps r efficient but only down to a certain temp then the heat strips come on. We have furnaces now that are 98% efficient and will COST YOU A HELL OF A LOT LESS TO RUN! The government has no right to tell an individual that they can’t use gas. Fuck them.

Actually, its not. (Natural) Gas s cheaper for heating your home. Propane is more expensive but can be stored, and has much higher BTU rating than natural. Even with a heat pump I was paying close to $300 a month to heat in the winter. With natural gas its less than half of that. I'll agree on the water heaters, gas tends to burn out the bottoms. Best way is on demand.

When I say electric heating is more efficient than gas heating, that doesn't mean cheaper. Gas furnaces/water heaters waste energy whereas electric ones don't. Pretty much the same as when I say that diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines.

Reactions: 338dude and Maggot
It's funny now that I think about it because SF is a dilapidated city and is always cold and foggy and has so many weirdos wandering around in the fog, it's literally like a real life Silent Hill. :ROFLMAO:
I agree, SF itself never did a thing fo me, in fact I find kind of dilapidated. The area though, is stunning. I was up in the tower on the Berkeley campus watching the fog roll across the city and the bay. And crossing into Marin. And the coast line.

For all that Ill never go back.not even for the great food at the Fog City Diner.

When I say electric heating is more efficient than gas heating, that doesn't mean cheaper. Gas furnaces/water heaters waste energy whereas electric ones don't. Pretty much the same as when I say that diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines.
Furnace, and water heater, yes. The wall heaters I had were really efficient.

In a lot of cases the same company sells both gas and electricity. Margins on gas are low, wholesale gas prices are, and have been, depressed for a long time. So yeah, force everyone to electricity, which as was mentioned, can't be stored in any meaningful way.... electricity prices will jump. Electrical generation companies with gas plants will see a drop in fuel costs. Monopolies are a good thing right?

...yes I know federally regulated industry. .Gov knows best!

Next big earthquake and the gas lines will fuel the flames. I think the whole area is nuts (was beautiful, glad I saw it before the mad dumpers decorated it with their intestinal art), but they've got a legitimate threat with the next big earthquake. I think before then, it may burn due to some peeps not getting their $5 million plus permanent salary for doing nothing.

People will still pay stupid prices to live there. Go figure.

Reactions: 338dude
San Francisco is also now known for having piles of human feces. Swear to God, there is an app to let you know where the largest number of piles are.

San Francisco, known for the foul fragrance of feces. As well as guys naked with erections marching in parades.

So, there's that ....

It sickens me. I was born in LA and I was a little kid during the first Watts riots. Things have only gotten worse since I left there in 1974.

San Francisco is also now known for having piles of human feces. Swear to God, there is an app to let you know where the largest number of piles are.

San Francisco, known for the foul fragrance of feces. As well as guys naked with erections marching in parades.

So, there's that ....

It sickens me. I was born in LA and I was a little kid during the first Watts riots. Things have only gotten worse since I left there in 1974.
I can corroborate the poop on the sidewalks. My brother in law lives in the area and works downtown. He has talked about this several times to my wife and I

• Sad
Gas can be stored.

Electricity is a bit harder...

Wonder if they'd shut it off if your social score was low...

R
And so the push for smart meters which will be tied to your social credit score. Live in a rural area and two representatives from the local utility knocked on my front door which sets off alarm bells since anyone who knows me comes to the back door. Two young men greeted me and tried to sell me on replacing my current meter with a smart one. I politely told them I wasn't interested and instructed them to get the fuck off my property.

So, there's that ....

They pay 90K per year to pick up that feces.

And so the push for smart meters which will be tied to your social credit score. Live in a rural area and two representatives from the local utility knocked on my front door which sets off alarm bells since anyone who knows me comes to the back door. Two young men greeted me and tried to sell me on replacing my current meter with a smart one. I politely told them I wasn't interested and instructed them to get the fuck off my property.
Didn’t have a choice in Tennessee. They showed up one day and gave me the (upgrade.)

Reactions: lash
I support this bail reform. Like Texas busing illegals north, instead of letting you out on bail, we bus you to San Fransisco.

Reactions: Maggot
I support this bail reform. Like Texas busing illegals north, instead of letting you out on bail, we bus you to San Fransisco.
By the tens of thousands. Clean the border up. Then build a wall around all cities of more than 250K. They'll work it out.