• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Sand blasting with a smaller compressor?

kombayotch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2007
I used to have a blasting cabinet and a nice 80 Gal two-stage compressor and that worked nicely. However, I sold it during a move. It was more than enough for running the cabinet... overkill.

Now, I'm looking at getting another cabinet and smaller, less expensive compressor. My thought is a 60 Gal single stage would probably do the job just fine, but I'm wondering how small you can reasonably go for just doing the occasional part or barrel.

The cabinet specs. are 5-15 CFM @ 90 PSI. I'm thinking 5 CFM would be just annoying, but 8-10 CFM is probably reasonable.

Anyone have experience with a cabinet and a small compressor? Advice?

Re: Sand blasting with a smaller compressor?

My blasting setup has a 60 gallon. It is adequate, but if you’re really hogging material or using a mild abrasive the compressor runs continuously. The pressure seems to hold up though, but the compressor tank gets hot enough to freak me out a little. For gun parts I think you should be fine. A friend of mine blasts with aluminum oxide using a 20 gallon compressor; small, but okay for small parts.

I would guess a typical lower end single stage 60 gallon would put out around 15 CFM around 90 PSI so you should be GTG with small parts in your post. Google one up and take a look.

Yeah... the more I think about it, maybe a 2 stage 60 Gal is the smallest I should go...

Single stage 60 Gal. compressors typically only do around 11.5 CFM at most @ 90 psi.

We sold off a lot of gear when we moved cross country. We've been making due with a small el'cheapo 20 gal that we can only do small parts with, and needs lots of breaks. Over the years Jim has had a few different setups and with the new house/shop getting ready he's now looking at a new long term set-up. His min spec is a 60 gal with the ability to run a constant 10-11 CFM at 90 psi. but can run up to 160-170 psi. Harbor Freight has one that is in that range for about $800, but he's such a bargain hunter I'll bet he finds on of better quality for half the price on Craigslist. In the meantime we run our blast cabinet with a compressor that will slide under it. Silly looking really.

One option is to add a second storage tank, fill the tank on your compressor open the shut-off allowing the second tank to fill, let your compressor cool down kick it back on and fill the primary tank.

This will give you extra volume, gives your compressor time to cool and then start blasting. The second tank acts as an accumulator. I did this before I could afford my 80 gal 2-stage. Your pressure will be slightly reduced, but will get you by. The second tank will also help capture moisture as it passes through on it's way to the blaster, an added benefit.

Thanks guys, but the second tank would actually be worse from the space requirement point of view. I found a pretty good deal on a nearly new 80 Gal. 2 stage that I might go for...

The baby compressor will work if you let it "catch up". This means you must stop blasting frequently to let the compressor maintain pressure of 90 and make sure pump/motor do not get too hot. I have done this previously and other than being annoying there were no adverse affects. You must decide between time and money. How much will you be using this? I would be looking for a larger compressor.

As she said it can never be big enough.