• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sand blasting

Sorry, just assumed threaded. Years ago I got a set of silicone plugs for powder coating. It included some some long, tapered plugs that work great in bores (think long slender rubber stoppers). The silicone is stretchy so it squeezes in good and media just bounces off.

ETA - above posted while I was trying to find example of what I was talking about. Mine are longer but I think it's the flexibility of the silicone that's the key.

Reactions: Fester47
Sorry, just assumed threaded. Years ago I got a set of silicone plugs for powder coating. It included some some long, tapered plugs that work great in bores (think long slender rubber stoppers). The silicone is stretchy so it squeezes in good and media just bounces off.

ETA - above posted while I was trying to find example of what I was talking about. Mine are longer but I think it's the flexibility of the silicone that's the key.
Thank you! I think that will work great.

McM has some fancier silicone options too -

We use plugs at the shop, but you can always just wrap the threads/end in painters tape if you don't wanna invest in other items you may not use again.

Edited to add: For non-threaded you can even make your own plugs. Not too hard, as we have had to do it previously a few times. Really just depends on your rack method too.

Last edited: