• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Sandblasting Prep????

gathumper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
South Florida
Can someone please help a brother out? I am wanting to prep a couple handguns and a rifle for Cerakote. There is nobody in my area that does sandblasting, so I'm on my own. I am considering buying a portable sandblaster to have for these occasions. Can someone please tell me what types of media that I need to be looking at, or if there are cheaper alternatives. I have looked at the aluminum oxide media, but at $50 for 25 lbs it just seems like a real waste seeing as how I will be unable to re-use the media. One of the handguns is a stainless finish, the other handgun and rifle are standard parkarized. I can really use some advice if anyone is willing.

Re: Sandblasting Prep????

Liberty is in GA, or you could drive to Pennsylvania with your stuff and I'll blast it for cold beer.

I've been using the white play sand from Lowe's and a Craftsman blasting gun. Do your blasting outside and a respirator is a good idea unless you build a cabinet.

It would be worth driving to PA at this point. So am I understanding that theres no real special media that I need to be using?

Aluminum oxide 100-120 grit is suggested. I'm sure most media will work however the ao will etch the surface and produce a surface Cerakote likes. I've used 70 grit in a pinch and it worked, but I stick to 100.

The only media that I can find locally is aluminum oxide #80, starburst "did not specify grit", and garnet media, "also did not specify grit. What would your suggestion be?