• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors sandstorm subsonic ?

acehigh

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2003
Blmgtn, IN.
The web page suggests that the sandstorm model will not stabilize subsonic heavy boat tailed projectiles unless the twist rate is 1-8". Is this true? I really hadn't planned on using subsonic ammo but I'm glad I read the disclaimer first.
JH

Re: sandstorm subsonic ?

What? The suppressor doesn't stabilize anything.

Maybe they are just recommending against lesser twists? Sure, I would not try to run a 210 or 240 BT bullet, but something like a 175SMK or 180 RN will be fine in 1-10" and probably 1-12".

Where's a link or at least copy/paste what you read.

here ya go....
SUBSONIC AMMUNITION:

Subsonic ammunition utilizing heavy, boat-tail projectiles do not stabilize adequately to avoid baffle contact in barrels with a twist rate slower than 1 turn in 8 inches. This ammunition is used at the owner's risk, and damage caused by subsonic ammunition is not covered under warranty.

I know that the silencer doesn't stabilize the bullet. It doesn't indicate what "heavy" means. I was curious if someone who owned one had used 175 smk's in a 1-12" 5R and had any baffle strikes.
JH

I use Hornady 170gr RN 30-30 bullets, 10.2gr of Trailboss, FGMM primer, and FGMM fired cases for my .308. It's right up there at 1100fps but the accuracy was good enough that I can live with an occasional "loud" round.

-X

thanks guys. I don't have any intention of using them but chance/luck favors the prepared mind. I wonder what causes the potential problem. Unstable from the crown? I'm not sure what the inside dimension of that silencer is but I'd hate to think the bullet was wobbling that badly right after exiting the muzzle.
jh

The way I read it:

We (them), are not responsible for your (whoever), screw-up.

I make up my own subsonic rounds. I don't have my load available right now. I have a 1/10 twist shooting 220 RN at 1050ish w/12 or 13 grains of trail boss. I don't know with out my data. I have done what others have done. No can...shoot through chrono...get subsonic speed desired w/bullet stablized.

Screw can on and shoot.

100 yard zero for my full pressure loads ... hold 4 mils
200 yards ... hold 9.2 mils

Just going off the top of my head.

Hope this helps.

To answer your orignal question.... Cover their ass in case someone F's up and wants a new can because of his/her own fault.

Just my guess.

-Al

Question: They don't have this disclaimer on their other cans?

Another random note: it might be difficult to stabilize a BTHP at a subsonic speed.

I use 175smk's with Trail Boss and mag primers,in non modded brass they stabilize just fine in my 1-12 26" barrel at 1050+/-fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitchy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dallas12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 175smk's with Trail Boss and mag primers,in non modded brass they stabilize just fine in my 1-12 26" barrel at 1050+/-fps. </div></div>

I am the same. I cut mine down to 20" and get pretty close to the same velocity. Of course I had everyone and their grandmothers telling me that a 175SMK won't stabilize out of our 1:12 twists, but I had to try, and holy moly, it works. HAHA

What kind of accuracy are you getting with your setup? I'm right at 1 to 1.5 moa at 100 yards.

ETA-I had to add 10 MOA to my normal full power dope.</div></div>

I'm getting about the same 1.5 at 100yrd, I was surprised at how well they shoot.

I've been shootin 175's outta a 1 in 12 for years with no problems. All my custom rifles are 5R Rock barrels and closer to 1 in 11.25 than 12" so I'm pretty sure they must be thinkin about the "heavier" bullets like 190's and 210-220's. Thanks for the heads up and load data though.
JH