• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Sanity Check - Aadland/Seeking ring height on AX

bp78

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
Central NC,USA
Swapping optics around, looking to upgrade my current TPS rings for something more streamlined (no nuts). Can someone sanity check my math - I originally figured on low rings but doing the math it looks like I need high rings..

I've pulled my SWFA 5-20x50 off the rifle now. The current TPS rings measure .484 from the bottom of the tube. I believe they're TPS Medium (aluminum). (.484+.59=1.074 height which seems really high for "Medium") These rings left a small gap under the objective, just enough to get an XP6 scopecoat on.

Starting from scratch, my Orion action & rail is .370 over the barrel, but the AX tube comes up .180 over the barrel. The outer diameter of the swfa measured 2.371".

So raw math:
.370 - .180 +2.371/2 = 0.9955" minimum needed
or current rings were 1.074" with a small gap.

My options then seem to rule out the Seekins
Aadland "High" rings at 1.07"
Seekins "High" rings at 0.97"

http://swfa.com/Aadland-Triple-Lug-30mm-Rings-P50711.aspx
http://swfa.com/Seekins-Precision-Scope-30mm-Rings-P47917.aspx

Re: Sanity Check - Aadland/Seeking ring height on AX

In case it help make sense of it, here's a photo of said project with the swfa mounted in the measured TPS medium rings.
aics_ax_tps-med_swfa520.JPG

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Aadland is on these forums, anyone know his id?</span> Found it, PM sent.

Sorry for not seeing this earlier. As mentioned in the PM your math looks good and the rings are on the way.

Enjoy,

All in favor for aadland to make 34mm rings - please raise your hand?