• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sanity check/input on my components

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
So I'm building up a long range hunting/target rifle and am needing some sanity check/input on my components list.

Right now I have the following:

-Defiance AnTi short action (rem 700 short action not model 7) with defiance anti 20 MOA base
-Proof research 20" pre fit .308 barrel (Will be selling and going with a 24" 6.5 creed pre fit shortly)
-Manners LRH with M5 mini chassis
-Triggertech special

What I am going to be ordering shortly:
-Hawkins hunter DBM
-Hawkins hunter 4 round mag
-Accurate Mag 6.5 creed 3.05 double stack AICS pattern 5 round mag

What I need input on:
-Plans are to order either a night force NX8 4-32 or a bushnell 3.5-21 elite tactical dmr3. On my barreled action I've tested a NF NXS 3.5-15 with a Larue LT104 (1.5") mount on the base and there is about 3/4 inch gap from the bottom of the scope to the barrel and from the bolt handle to the objective. I am planning on going with NF ultralight rings and figured the 1" height might be the best option. I am looking for insight from people with either of these scopes on a Defiance AnTi action on what height rings would be best.
-SRP or LRP Lapua 6.5 creed brass? (I have both large and small rifle primers on hand)

Sounds like a really nice rig. I wouldn't worry about ring height with the adjustable comb. There's no advantage to keeping scope height super low and can, in some cases, be a disadvantage.
If it's purely for hunting, LRP or SRP won't make a difference. I'd probably just go with Hornady LRP brass so you're not sad when kicking it out in the mud or weeds. Maybe LRP would be a safer bet with ignition in super cold conditions, but I've never experienced ignition problems with SRP magnum primers.
Lastly, again, if purely for a hunting rifle, I'd probably go with the NX8 or better yet a 4-16 ATACR. I'd get it in the Mil-C to keep the reticle simple and sight picture open. I'm not a fan of crazy busy reticles in hunting scopes.

Reactions: 2c1fr
Sounds like a really nice rig. I wouldn't worry about ring height with the adjustable comb. There's no advantage to keeping scope height super low and can, in some cases, be a disadvantage.
If it's purely for hunting, LRP or SRP won't make a difference. I'd probably just go with Hornady LRP brass so you're not sad when kicking it out in the mud or weeds. Maybe LRP would be a safer bet with ignition in super cold conditions, but I've never experienced ignition problems with SRP magnum primers.
Lastly, again, if purely for a hunting rifle, I'd probably go with the NX8 or better yet a 4-16 ATACR. I'd get it in the Mil-C to keep the reticle simple and sight picture open. I'm not a fan of crazy busy reticles in hunting scopes.
Thanks for the advice! This will be kind of an all around rifle. I was originally going to go with 6.5 PRC, but the barrel burn characteristics kind of have me turned off. I figured 6.5 creed will get me everything I'm looking for in one rifle: varmint hunting, deer hunting, elk out to about ~400 yds, and still be a good PRS rifle. I plan on putting a lot of rounds through this rifle. I really like lapua brass because I pretty much handload everything and am just figuring which to order right now, SRP or LRP. I was figuring SRP due to the benefits I've read. If I do lose some brass during hunting, I wouldn't be too sad about it. I just want to understand the negatives of SRP brass before I order.

I am a big NF force fan. I own two NXS 3.5-15 scopes. One is with a mil dot reticle and one with a MOA reticle. I think I will end up with another Nightforce but I've heard really good things with the bushnell elite line.