• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Santa Claus

Soon I was old enough to tell that my mom's handwriting and "Santa's" were identical, so pretty darn young lolol.

I have a kiddo that says he doesn't believe anymore. Even using logical arguments on why. I've been questioning whether I tell him the truth or I try to convince him.

So you're looking to confirm with others the fact that Santa does not, in fact, exist ?

Didn't your parents ever do the birds and bees talk with you ?
Wasn't that a lead in for their own confirmation of this....you know, subject ?
Mommy did wean you at some point, right ?

I knew it was bullshit about 5 but played it for a couple more years. When the toys turned to clothes it was over.

Fuck that fat little faggot in a red suit.

• Haha
Reactions: AngryKoala
I have a kiddo that says he doesn't believe anymore. Even using logical arguments on why. I've been questioning whether I tell him the truth or I try to convince him.
I'd say that at that point, tell him the truth that Santa is a now-mythical figure based on a historical Greek saint who would secretly leave gifts for young children.

And pick up a copy of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

When my kids were younger and in public school I used to always worry they would ruin it for all the other kids at school because we never did the Santa thing at our house.
That's another thing I don't want to happen.

I've got one who's 7 and something tells me this is the last year she'll believe. But I hope not.

Kids and Christmas is so much fun I wish we'd put up decorations after the fourth of July. I used to be the other way about it but the innocence and anticipation and wonderment of children is wonderful

Fortunately I never had to grow up being lied to about the stupid Santa Claus business.
We grew up knowing the historical background for it and understanding how people like to pretend.

I've tried my best to make sure any Children I'm around understand actual history and not the silly myth.

What I find most revolting is all these stupid "adult" people on the "news" after some kids find out they have been lied to, all being teary eyed and trying to beg and plead that Sandy Claus is real...

Fortunately I never had to grow up being lied to about the stupid Santa Claus business.
We grew up knowing the historical background for it and understanding how people like to pretend.

I've tried my best to make sure any Children I'm around understand actual history and not the silly myth.

What I find most revolting is all these stupid "adult" people on the "news" after some kids find out they have been lied to, all being teary eyed and trying to beg and plead that Sandy Claus is real...

You need a handy j, let's get the Lucas oil out and relieve that anger. Cost is 100 rounds of 556, no steel case.

Reactions: Ronws
I've got one who's 7 and something tells me this is the last year she'll believe. But I hope not.

Kids and Christmas is so much fun I wish we'd put up decorations after the fourth of July. I used to be the other way about it but the innocence and anticipation and wonderment of children is wonderful

I think the best way to provide a true nurturing AND healthy mental development process for kids is to ADAPT to their changing thinking as they grow. When they are very young and believe in fantastic things, encourage them and play into these fantastic ideals with them so they do not feel alienated. When they start developing logical thinking and asking questions to things that do not add up, now it is the time to help them develop this critical thinking by explaining to them why their conclusions and questions are correct (or wrong if they are wrong), and teach them to apply the same to things that they WILL encounter in school and in the outside world.

That said, Christmas is our favorite time of the year too. As a matter of fact, got up this morning to see my GF already up and starting to put out Christmas decorations. Guess who immediately greeted her with the biggest smile and instantly went forth to prepare breakfast for everyone!
biggrin.gif

Tomorrow is one of my days off and we will be going here with a couple of our friends from Manhattan and then grabbing some coffee and cakes in the neighborhood:

Harry Potter Store in NYC, open for two years now:

Who let a decent person into the hide?

I think the best way to provide a true nurturing AND healthy mental development process for kids is to ADAPT to their changing thinking as they grow. When they are very young and believe in fantastic things, encourage them and play into these fantastic ideals with them so they do not feel alienated. When they start developing logical thinking and asking questions to things that do not add up, now it is the time to help them develop this critical thinking by explaining to them why their conclusions and questions are correct (or wrong if they are wrong), and teach them to apply the same to things that they WILL encounter in school and in the outside world.

That said, Christmas is our favorite time of the year too. As a matter of fact, got up this morning to see my GF already up and starting to put out Christmas decorations. Guess who immediately greeted her with the biggest smile and instantly went forth to prepare breakfast for everyone!
biggrin.gif

Tomorrow is one of my days off and we will be going here with a couple of our friends from Manhattan and then grabbing some coffee and cakes in the neighborhood:

Harry Potter Store in NYC, open for two years now:

I thought my kid would have loved Harry Potter and nope. I thought it was a sure thing. I had the books and everything ready to go.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I thought my kid would have loved Harry Potter and nope. I thought it was a sure thing. I had the books and everything ready to go.

Everybody is different. As long as they pick something wholesome and healthy to grow up alongside on, encourage them. The books are not just for children, they are for all age ranges. I didn't even start noticing them until WAY later. When they first came out (Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets), I was in high school and FULLY into the rap, gangsta and hip hop culture. The moment I picked one up out of curiosity though, I could NOT put them down, ever again LOLOL, and I am glad to be with someone who loves them even more than I do. They are awesome to have around as a shelf ornament and one day your kid, or somebody else in the family might just pick one up on a rainy slow day and become immersed in the story.

One can only imagine the level of pride from this act.

R
As a matter of fact, it is a point of pride that my kids don’t need to be manipulated with the threat of an ever-watching, magic man in the sky to establish motivation for good behavior.

But if your kids need to be lied to and manipulated, you can be proud of that. I guess. If you want to.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Everybody is different. As long as they pick something wholesome and healthy to grow up alongside on, encourage them. The books are not just for children, they are for all age ranges. I didn't even start noticing them until WAY later. When they first came out (Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets), I was in high school and FULLY into the rap, gangsta and hip hop culture. The moment I picked one up out of curiosity though, I could NOT put them down, ever again LOLOL, and I am glad to be with someone who loves them even more than I do. They are awesome to have around as a shelf ornament and one day your kid might just pick one up on a rainy slow day and become immersed in the story.

I couldn't read those books fast enough. Eragon was another series along with LOTR. He likes goosebumps right now.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
As a matter of fact, it is a point of pride that my kids don’t need to be manipulated with the threat of an ever-watching, magic man in the sky to establish motivation for good behavior.

But if your kids need to be lied to and manipulated, you can be proud of that. I guess. If you want to.
Projection.
Predictable virtue.
Do I smell an agnostic/atheist?

R

It's really about magical fun for the kids and the parents. You are applying something negative to a positive.

It's really about magical fun for the kids and the parents. You are applying something negative to a positive.
We have plenty of fun. Presents from “Santa”, etc. But there was never a question of belief because we never suggested it was anything other than fantasy.

So the conversation from the very beginning is “Santa is a mythological character” and not “I hope the kids don’t find out the truth”.

How is it positive to tell a child that someone knows when they are sleeping or awake and knows if they’ve been bad or good and is planning to punish or reward as a result?

as for you @Rthur, Santa and the Judeo-Christian celebration of Christ‘s birth don’t go together at all….so you are what…a liar and a heretic? A Christian of convenience? Just full of shit?

We have plenty of fun. Presents from “Santa”, etc. But there was never a question of belief because we never suggested it was anything other than fantasy.

So the conversation from the very beginning is “Santa is a mythological character” and not “I hope the kids don’t find out the truth”.

How is it positive to tell a child that someone knows when they are sleeping or awake and knows if they’ve been bad or good and is planning to punish or reward as a result?

as for you @Rthur, Santa and the Judeo-Christian celebration of Christ‘s birth don’t go together at all….so you are what…a liar and a heretic? A Christian of convenience? Just full of shit?

It's positive when you see the excitement on a kids face when you take him/her to go see Santa. Reading the books and telling the Santa stories. Having them help make cookies for Santa and leaving carrots for the reindeer. You are only focusing on the negative. Belief in something magical is something that is only captured for a short time in children.

Same thing with the polar express movie/book and taking them to go on the ride. The movies fake and the ride isn't magical but we still pretend and tell them the story.

Nice try.
This was a funny thread.
You injected your moral superiority into it.
If you looked closely I never commented on the continuity of xmas and christianity.
Peckerwoods like you could fuck up an orgasm.
I could see if we were discussing tactics for combat the seriousness, not fucking christmas/santa claus.

R

I snickered when few said they never lied to their children. Except for the ten times already this morning on things not related to Santa Claus.

The tooth fairy gave me money when I lost a tooth. I sure wish there was tooth fairy this last June when I had my remaining teeth removed. I could use some of that money.

It is probably hard for a kid to still believe in Santa Claus when there are movies about people who play Santa. Although "Fat Man" with Mel Gibson was refreshing.

But yeah, how is it possible for one man in a drawn sleigh to get to all the houses in the world between Midnight and 6 am?

Then, again, smart guys with PhDs tell me the universe started with a Big Bang from nothing before. Yet, people believe that as a fact.

So, pick a myth. One that makes you and your family happy. And when someone comes along to piss all over your Santa story or Christmas, hand them a big cup of 'shut up" to drink.

I don't remember my age but I and my younger brother figured it out together. I will never forget what my mother said when we told her we no longer believed, "Is that right? I'm very sorry to hear that. You know who does believe in Santa? Your little sister and if you ever want another present, you better "believe" until she doesn't!"

Shit, there are people out there that think the earth is flat.

Believing in Santa Claus is the least of our problems.

What the fuck do you mean Santa ain't real? Look at the shit kids are being taught! You can be any gender you want. You can be a furry and shit in a litter box. WTF!

My kids are the ones telling other kids in elementary school that Santa isnt real. We are a Christian family so we taught our kids not to lie and that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus.
Don't worry. Several other sacks of feces run around saying that Jesus Christ was not real. They have sad and barren lives and want to force everyone else to live in their hell.

And that is why God is more powerful than I am. Some of these people would find it difficult to get forgiveness from me. As my mother would say, "May God have mercy on your soul. I will not."

Slo, it becomes necessary to surrender such problems to a higher authority.

Don't worry. Several other sacks of feces run around saying that Jesus Christ was not real. They have sad and barren lives and want to force everyone else to live in their hell.

And that is why God is more powerful than I am. Some of these people would find it difficult to get forgiveness from me. As my mother would say, "May God have mercy on your soul. I will not."

Slo, it becomes necessary to surrender such problems to a higher authority.

That escalated quickly. :unsure:

There's nothing wrong with parents manipulating and lying to their children. If parents don't manipulate their children then the internet and their peers are what's gonna raise them. As far as lying goes, there's plenty of things about me that I don't want my children to find out about me. We all did fucked up things as teenagers that we don't want our kids to emulate so we lie to them or just keep it a secret.

Reactions: Bcamos