• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAR-8 Question

Legdoc

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I have been looking for a .308 gas gun and ran across a slightly used Springfield SAR-8 for $700.00. I am not familiar with this gun. Any comments or suggestions?
Legdoc

Re: SAR-8 Question

First it's not a gas gun its recoil operated.Ergonmics are not great and it eats brass.Its also very reliable and reasonably accurate for a battle rifle.Cheap mags as well amse rifle as a H&K 91/G3

You are correct it's not a gas gun like an AR. My mistake! How about the price? Other comments appreciated.
Legdoc

Is it a stamped sheet meatal upper like the Hks or is it the cast aluminum one with the picatinny rail on top.

If it's an SAR 8 for $700 than it has the aluminum receiver. I would stay away from that one. The SAR 8 that is preferred is made by Hellenic Arms from Greece which was made on HK tooling. Later imported by Springfield as an SAR 3 and 8. The aluminum receiver type works, but the trunion is pinned and Loctite together. It will eventually come loose.