• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAS New Remington ( COVERT) .308

onechance

Fleet Admiral
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
IN
Suppressed Armament Systems just finished my Remington 700 (Covert) rifle in .308. He's only charging $3400.00 for a complete rifle. I couldn't afford an AI Covert, so I had Tim build one on a Remington action. Everything is the same except the AI receiver and thousands of $ more for the AI. It has a 1 in 9" twist and 16 1/4 inch barrel with QD brake. Just one $200.00 stamp on the suppressor, Just as good as the AI if not better. If you have questions drop me a PM. To see the video of Tim's son shooting it go to Suppressed Armament on Facebook.

Covertsidebarrel.jpg

Covertfrontshot.jpg

Covertfrontbarrel.jpg

Covertcloseup.jpg

Covertbackshot.jpg

Re: SAS New Remington ( COVERT) .308

With sub sonic 208s sounds like a pellet gun and hits hard at 100.

that thing is beyond badass, most wouldn't even know it was suppressed until you fired it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that thing is beyond badass, most wouldn't even know it was suppressed until you fired it. </div></div>

I didn't know it was suppressed until he mentioned it sounded like a pellet gun and I took a closer look.

Awesome looking rifle

1 in 9 twist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 in 9 twist </div></div>
9? Why not 8? Or 7 even so that you can utilize the 240's....

Tim might be able to hook you up on the twist rate.

1-9 and 1-10 work great with the 208 amax, Any barrel twist is available if its special ordered. These are 1/2 moa rifles with regular ammo. The twist selection was a trade off so that it would work the best will multiple ammo choices.

I have personal shot this rifle, it is extremely accurate and SPANKS ass. If it wasn't for the recoil and and bullet impact I would swear I was shooting a pellet gun. Why pay the AI price when you can buy a Remington for alot less and it shots just as good and is still made by the same person.

Hey Bro., you forgot to mention that Tim will sell the barrel and suppressor separately and you can have your own gun smith install it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-9 and 1-10 work great with the 208 amax, Any barrel twist is available if its special ordered. These are 1/2 moa rifles with regular ammo. The twist selection was a trade off so that it would work the best will multiple ammo choices. </div></div>
Agreed with supersonic ammo. I was thinking more for subsonic. Either way, wonderful setup.

I think it's a "no brainer", purchase the can,stock, barrel and have Tim put a Remington Covert together. Why pay a couple thousand dollars more just for an action basically? I'm already in motion to fund one of the Remmy Coverts.

When I get some more subsonic rounds loaded, I'll post some groups.

That's very cool and extremely affordable when you factor everything in.

Very nice stick! What are you loading up on the 208?

They are a lot of fun. Mine is the AI Covert though.....
Great concept though to do the Rem Covert if you want to stick to a budget. That way you save a little on the long run and can get yourself some more ammo. My one complaint about the AE's is the scope rail, they need more slots in them for scope mounting options.

mcupuv.jpg

That's a nice design. Too bad the AICS doesn't fit me.

Are there additional baffles in the suppressor or is it just a big sleeve that slides over the brake?

The suppressor portion is like the Arbiter cans that SAS sells. The rest is a sleeve and locking mechanism. Pretty cool design though. For a 16" barrel its actually more quiet then I had anticipated. Hence the name Covert I guess
wink.gif

Holy hell! That is one of the sharpest rifles I've ever seen! Great rig, man!

For those that don't like the stock, Tim can inlet a different stock to meet your needs as long as there is enough material.

onechance - what types of ammo are you running thru it? What do you find it likes best when shooting supersonic?

Black Hills Match 168 is shooting very nicely at 600 yards. For a 16" barrel I am more than impressed with its accuracy.

Using Lapua 155 Scenars 2.844 OAL and 47.3 gr. of Varget. At 100 getting .38". When I first started I had flyers out the wazoo. I had Tim look at it and work up a load for subsonic. I decided I was going to dedicate is for subs only. I have plenty of .308 suppressed long guns that shoot great with the load listed above. Come to find out, the stock bolt was loose. Tim found the problem and tightened it up and everything is fine. If you're able to view the video, you can see what the .208 subs are doing with his son shooting.

I also agree with KYS338, the AI does need more slots cut for scope mounting.

Just talked to Tim, He said, "As long as it's not something weird like an old Mauser action". The other thing that needs to be addressed is the stock, will it accomodate that suppressor. This would be up to you and your smith or Tim. Hope this helps.

SNIPERS4DUMMIES,
Your PM box is full.

Going to load some 175 gr. subsonic rounds to see how they shoot.

Going to load some 175 gr. subsonic rounds to see how they shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are a lot of fun. Mine is the AI Covert though.....
Great concept though to do the Rem Covert if you want to stick to a budget. That way you save a little on the long run and can get yourself some more ammo. My one complaint about the AE's is the scope rail, they need more slots in them for scope mounting options.

mcupuv.jpg
</div></div>the AI covert an acquaintance of mine has is very nice and one of the more quite 308s I have ever heard

good stuff rifle looks great, im sure it will preform the same.

i wish he would get some more help around the shop as i could really use another brake and getting ahold of him is tough

He's got a guy that helps periodically. You can order a brake through his web site. He checks it daily, just e-mail him and let him know what you need.

It's cute, a nice little Homage to the King, sort of like your little brother dressing up as you.

Still, one thing in your statement rings a bit off, when you said it was just as good or better than the AI simply because you saved a buck or two. A Remington is decidedly not an Accuracy International and can never be no matter how much work you put into it.

The original

SH_FLG_Covert1.jpg

SH_FLG_Covert2.jpg

Accept no substitutes...

<span style="font-style: italic">seriously, it's a good looking rifle, enjoy it.</span>

Very nice,

What is the overall length?

Would you mind sharing the details on your subsonic 208 a max load?

Frank, It was not meant to compare, it's just an option to purchase a rifle that's not a $6000.00 rifle. Opening up more options for people that do not have a large bank account. As for the King, I think that's a subjective statement. I know there are Remingtons out there that will out shoot the AIs and so do you.

I know you're an avid shooter and will be testing this set-up soon. I wish you would compare both rifles together. Just get one with a trued action and built by the same person.

I know you've posted (best bang for the buck) test results. I would like to get your honest opinion regarding these rifles and not influenced by what people donate to your site.

I'm not trying to make this a pissing match, just would like to see what you would have to say, after shooting both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's cute, a nice little Homage to the King, sort of like your little brother dressing up as you.

Still, one thing in your statement rings a bit off, when you said it was just as good or better than the AI simply because you saved a buck or two. A Remington is decidedly not an Accuracy International and can never be no matter how much work you put into it.

The original

SH_FLG_Covert1.jpg

SH_FLG_Covert2.jpg

Accept no substitutes...

<span style="font-style: italic">seriously, it's a good looking rifle, enjoy it.</span> </div></div>
wow, that's awesome!

I have to agree with Frank.

I have one AI and a bunch of Remingtons in the safe. Saying "why buy an AI when you can get a Remington for less" is pretty foolish. There is a reason the AI's are more expensive.

If you don't NEED or WANT the advantages of the AI, and you want a Covert type package, then this is a great option.

The only reason I haven't gone Covert is because I have several .308's and don't want a suppressor that can only be used on one weapon.

I don't think my post mentioned, "Why purchase an AI when you can purchase a Remington". You may want to read that again. I said I couldn't afford the AI, this was the first rifle I looked at. It's all about the $. Some guys wear Armani jeans and some wear Levi jeans, it's just what a guy can afford.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything is the same except the AI receiver and thousands of $ more for the AI. It has a 1 in 9" twist and 16 1/4 inch barrel with QD brake. Just one $200.00 stamp on the suppressor, <span style="font-weight: bold">Just as good as the AI if not better.</span> If you have questions drop me a PM. To see the video of Tim's son shooting it go to Suppressed Armament on Facebook.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: between the ii's</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why pay the AI price when you can buy a Remington for alot less and it shots just as good and is still made by the same person.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: between the ii's</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why pay a couple thousand dollars more just for an action basically?</div></div>

The reasons for purchasing an AI over a Remington 700 are many and covered in multiple locations around this board. They don't really need to be rehashed here.

That is a good looking rifle, and a great option for those who can't buy the AI.

Bring it to the match at Red Brush this weekend, I would love to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The suppressor portion is like the Arbiter cans that SAS sells. The rest is a sleeve and locking mechanism. Pretty cool design though. For a 16" barrel its actually more quiet then I had anticipated. Hence the name Covert I guess
wink.gif
</div></div>

Per Tim, on the actual AI AE Covert, the entire volume of the tube is used for suppression. It's not just a sleeve.