• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SAS TOMB/QD

Tanman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
Richmond, VA
Who has used both of these? I think I have decided on the SAS Ti Arbiter, but can't decide on the mounting system.
It will be used mostly on my 700P shooting out to 500 yards (farther when I find somewhere I can shoot 600-1000), but I also plan on using it on my 14.5" AR (5.56), and a 8" 300BLK when I get my stamp.
I'm mainly concerned with POI shift (or lack thereof), not so much the ease of attaching/removing the can. Is there that much of a difference between the two?
Thanks

Re: SAS TOMB/QD

I run the same can your looking at with the TOMB. POI shift is .5in straight up for me, but I never notice it because I always shoot suppressed now. I would suggest calling Mile High Accessories and talking to them about it. I bought mine before the new QD was out, and they were very helpful. I even went up there to take a look at them and talked with Diann and Adam for about an hour. They are great people to work with. I'd just ask them which one they prefer. I also don't think Tim would have put something out that gives up repeatability. If they did their business would suffer because alot of their business comes from people recomending them to others. When's the last time you picked up a gun mag and saw an ad for SAS? I've seen a couple but not anywhere near the scale of the big brands. If/when I buy another it'll be the QD version. I don't think the TOMB is any faster than a direct thread on, but it does seem to be more solid. I've never had it come loose while firing.

I think I'd rather have the more solid of the two. I like the option of using a flash hider for the TOMB as well.
Thanks for the response.

With the TOMB you have the option of a brake or a flash hider while un-suppressed. The TOMB in the brake configuration actually gives a little better DB reduction. For hunting I think the TOMB is the way to go but for tactical or actual field use for a service rifle I think the QD is the way to go. Neither has an advantage as to being more solid as they are both extremely ridgid and repeatable.

I'm using the TOMB on a .338 LM rifle now and think it's a fairly effective brake.

I was going to go with the QD mount until a friend of mine who runs Central Virginia Tactical told me about a shooter he had one day whose QD mount stuck inside and came off when he attempted to remove it. Best they could figure was the carbon blow-by sealed the QD mount to the can. They managed to get it loose though.

I decided to stick with the threaded unit and use a little teflon tape as always.

YMMV.

Paperwork's in for the Form 4 for a SAS Vengeance can. Six months to go : -(

Wow, that would make for a bad day..

I think I'm gonna go with the thread over brake/flash hider.

Does using teflon tape help prevent gas blowback? Haven't heard of that technique before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tan Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that would make for a bad day..

I think I'm gonna go with the thread over brake/flash hider.

Does using teflon tape help prevent gas blowback? Haven't heard of that technique before.</div></div>

I think so. I've been using it on cans for about 15 years now. It seals and protects the threads too.

I have both and a thread on. They are the same in sound reduction accuracy and POI shift.

The only difference between the QD and TOMB, besides speed of getting it off, is that the TOMB brake is a more effective brake when not used with the can. My dad is so impressed with the brakes that he put one on all of his Weatherby's despite refusing to use a can.

Cool, no problem with having an effective brake when the can isn't on to keep people from getting too close to me when I'm shooting!