• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10/110 Bolt head swap

Fourtyfive

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2019
Basically, I want to take the 308 bolt face from my 10 SA and put it on my 110 LA bolt. I took them both apart, and the 110 seems to be a bit longer, but the holes are in the same spot and went together just fine.

Does anyone know if this is okay to do and be safe to shoot, or should I just go a head and order a new 110 bolt head with desired bolt face? I tried searching for any info on this but can not find what I am looking for. PTG shows their precision bolt heads work on 10 and 110, which is why I thought of doing it this way since I have both already, but the difference in length of the heads now has me rethinking this.

Member on here shared this with me earlier this year and it’s very informative. I haven’t personally performed the swap yet but it appears simple enough. Good luck!

I would think it would work as long as you can adjust the firing pin protrusion and headspace properly.

Seems to be a bit longer? Measure it up, compare it, and go from there.

Bolt heads are inexpensive and easy to find. Like less than $30 for a factory one. I always just bought the correct one.

I didn't ever look, but the thing I wouldn't mess with is firing pin protrusion. My educated guess is that is where you might find being "a little longer" is the sticking point.

The 10/110 style bolts have adjustable firing pins and honestly, they come from the factory set longer than necessary. Take it down to .035"-.045"...most are .050"+

Reactions: hereinaz
I'm just going to go ahead and buy a new 110 bolt face. $30 is better than potentially breaking something or worse. Just a thought I had since I have both rifles.