• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 300 wsm not ejecting

Tactical one

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2008
Central, USA
Have a model 10 in 300 wsm not ejecting the brass empty. The bolt face doesn’t have the plunger. I am assuming the extractor spring is weak?

You must have one of the old staggered-feed receivers used for the WSM's and UltraMags which used CRF instead of push-feed if there's no ejector in the boltface. Confirm the bottom of your boltface is cut away allowing the case to slide into the extractor?

There's a standing ejector (should be, unless your receiver is missing it) at the rear of the receiver that pops up through a slot in the left side of the bolthead to eject the case. CRF bolthead second from left.

1700942142090.jpeg

Installing a 9/64” detent ball under the extractor solved the problem in the past. On the push feeds anyways

Installing a 9/64” detent ball under the extractor solved the problem in the past. On the push feeds anyways
Agreed. If that’s what you have. It’ll solve it.

Extracting or ejecting?

Does it pull the case out of the barrel but leave it in the action or does it leave the case all the way up in the chamber still?

Pic of bolt face
That looks fucked-up. Here's a pic of what the CRF bolthead should look like, your receiver should be as I mentioned above- or you have a mismatched bolthead. If your receiver is not set up with the ejector for CRF, the bolt is mismatched- get a push-feed magnum boltface.

Read his post, guys- it's not about the extractor- it's ejection.

1700966665574.jpeg

That looks fucked-up. Here's a pic of what the CRF bolthead should look like, your receiver should be as I mentioned above- or you have a mismatched bolthead. If your receiver is not set up with the ejector for CRF, the bolt is mismatched- get a push-feed magnum boltface.

Read his post, guys- it's not about the extractor- it's ejection.

View attachment 8281274
The bigger extent ball aids with ejection. The savages have a habit of dropping the case off the bolt face before the spent case can eject due to the weak extractor

If your bolt head is cut for a mechanical ejector, you should have an ejector piece mounted to the frame that will fit into the slot on the bolt head when the bolt is fully retracted, as pictured here.
Savage CF Ejector.jpg
Some shooters bend the ejector down to aid in a smoother bolt throw, so you might have to carefully bend it up a little to get it to work right.
If you don't see the ejector there, you will need to buy a short action magnum bolt head with ejector, as mechanical ejector's are very hard to find.

SJC

I have a similar problem as posted by the OP. My Savage model 12, 6.5CM, ejects perfectly for 10-15 rounds and then randomly will leave the extracted cartridge lying in the chamber, this continues for a few rounds and then it starts ejecting the brass again. To upgrade to a 9/64" ball under the extractor, I assume I tear the bolt down and just switch the current ball with the new one. Is this bigger ball something most competent gunstore gunsmiths should carry?

I have a similar problem as posted by the OP. My Savage model 12, 6.5CM, ejects perfectly for 10-15 rounds and then randomly will leave the extracted cartridge lying in the chamber, this continues for a few rounds and then it starts ejecting the brass again. To upgrade to a 9/64" ball under the extractor, I assume I tear the bolt down and just switch the current ball with the new one. Is this bigger ball something most competent gunstore gunsmiths should carry?
I bought 100 detent balls from fastenal for like $.60

It’s under the extractor. Put the end of the bolt in a plastic bag to keep the parts from flying around. Just simply push the extractor toward the center of the bolt head until it pops out. The ball and spring are under it. Replace the ball and just slide the extractor back over

A small flat heat screwdriver is best. You’ll use it to hold the ball/spring down to slide extractor back on

If you slip while putting back together your detent ball and maybe extractor/spring fill go flying. Hence the plastic bag trick

It’s super simple. I’d also check for burrs on the extractor while apart. I also put a drop of oil in the hole when I have apart

I carry a bottle of those balls in my truck. Can change on the seat in 30 seconds if need be. Have come across enough savages that do that to justify carrying them in my truck to help others when needed.

This is what you’re replacing

I push to center to remove then install back in from outside like this pic
IMG_6393.jpeg

Reactions: Tactical one
It is indeed, but should be unnecessary IMHO. And that`s from someone who owns, shoots and enjoys three Savage rifles that have given no trouble.
It’s great yours work well. I have a 17 hmr that runs great (albeit not the same extractor) and a .308 APO collaboration with savage and that’s my only beef. Consistently would not eject the case. Changed to the larger bearing and never had one problem since. There’s a ton of anecdotal experiences on here and elsewhere showing the same thing….so it’s a thing. And definitely unnecessary, if Savage just started with the correct size 🤣

It’s great yours work well. I have a 17 hmr that runs great (albeit not the same extractor) and a .308 APO collaboration with savage and that’s my only beef. Consistently would not eject the case. Changed to the larger bearing and never had one problem since. There’s a ton of anecdotal experiences on here and elsewhere showing the same thing….so it’s a thing. And definitely unnecessary, if Savage just started with the correct size 🤣
Yes indeed, definitely a thing, with an easy ( and I have to think relatively inexpensive ) modification at production. Makes no sense to me.

Yes indeed, definitely a thing, with an easy ( and I have to think relatively inexpensive ) modification at production. Makes no sense to me.
Savage wants you to feel useful and that you can accomplish something.
Rifles that work from the get go are boring and it shows that those rifle manufacturers don't care about you.

• Haha
Reactions: db2000 and RTH1800
Savage wants you to feel useful and that you can accomplish something.
Rifles that work from the get go are boring and it shows that those rifle manufacturers don't care about you.
LOL!!! That`s great! I do find it interesting that apparently the well documented extraction/ejection issues are certainly not universal with all Savage rifles . I for one have two Savage rifles in .223, one with 1K + rounds through it ( Model 12 LRPV ) and neither has ever failed to extract or eject.

Last edited:
You need some type of EJECTOR or the improved EXTRACTOR will hang on to the case and it will just sit there until you pick it out SINGLE FEED method.
Factory ejector works fine once the bearing is improved to the proper size. Otherwise there’d be 1000 reports of changes to the ejector also…which there’s not.