• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 Ashbury 308 simple review and range feedback

Tigrexar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2018
Texas
Got this rifle(308) last Nov, during discount to $1,000, Savage $150 rebate and used all my 80% Cabela`s gift cards bought at Ebay, end up cost me around $650, definitely a budget rifle on a tacticool chassis stock. Would prefer more on 6.5 CM but local store out of stock and don`t want to wait for 3 weeks shipping.
1.jpg
3.jpg

Here`s a first look, since winter weather in Alaska...barely shoot it at pleasant environment during winter time and some small issues need adjustment, I finally zeroed it and tested shooting at 100 yard for accuracy. Much cheaper compared to RPR, and that`s the main reason I got this rifle.

Couple of things I want to mention before the range results, since this is my first "precision rifle" I guess.
1. Folding joint extended stock for 2 inches, and my Barra 4-16 scope got a rather close eye relief, even I mount the scope to the very rear end of rail, my mouth still too close to the damn folding joint, recoil my kick my teeth out....I bought off-set rings to put the scope around 1.5 inch closer to rear, problem solved.
PS: The scope itself is good for the price, I spend $200 for a 4-16 illuminated scope and a 4-12 entry level scope. Both have very clear glasses, similar to my Nikon Prostaff , I`m happy with the price. Shooting on 308 and 30-06, both hold zero well over 100 rounds.

2. The original CTR stock came with a medium cheek riser, I do prefer Magpul PRS stock, or those adjustable stocks like Luther AR or the one on RPR, CTR is able to lock tight, however rubber pad doesn`t help with recoil at all and it was not comfortable to shoot all day. Again I can`t find a Limbsaver for Magpul at local stores, and Amazon refuse to ship to Alaska, I ended up bought a cheap muzzle brake with shim washers on Ebay, reduced recoil, annoyed people at adjacent lanes, and luckily didn`t affect accuracy. I do feel sorry when I saw an old man have his grandson shooting a 223 with $900 suppressor in the lane next to me, and I`m banging my extra loud 308.

3. The hand guard is at same height of rail, so if your scope got rather large object lens(mine is 56mm), you may need extra-high rings to raise it up.

4. Accrutrigger feels good, no need to lower it. AICS pattern magazine only, not like RPR, which can take both. Putting on magazine is not so smooth but works fine.

5. Bolt movement is not smooth either, compared to my Tikka T3 stainless, but with CLP it won`t bother me.

On the range
Happy about barrel temperature. Somehow my Tikka T3 stainless 30-06 gets hot fast even in Alaska winter outdoor(10 F), only takes like 10 rounds fired at 30s-45s/round frequency, and the POI will move 1.5 inch toward bottom left, grouping expands to 1.5 MOA. Savage APO`s barrel gets warm but not hot after 20 continues fires, grouping and POI stays same(as much as I can notice at 100 yard).
IMG_3369.JPG

I also tested out different factory ammo and here`s the results.
Shooting position is bench rest, bipod on front and sandbag under left arm to hold rifle.

2.jpg
I thought FGMM 185 gr bullets will be more stable on this 24 inch 1:10 twist rate barrel, but seems 168 gr works better, could because shooter error. I was testing 185 gr at end, maybe eyes got tired. The Sig Sauer Elite Performance works really well on this rifle. probably 0.6 MOA, but I`m out of this ammo on range, I did my 5 groups X 5 shots/group test using FGMM 168 gr.

5X5 Grouping results at 100 yard, about 15 mph side direction wind. Wind should not be a factor at 100 yard for 308.
The free phone app called "SubMoa" on app store, not so easy to use allows me to save all shooting results with detailed condition, convenient for reloading.

IMG_3368.JPG

The average grouping is 0.72 MOA at 100 yards, based on 5X5, 25 rounds test, with factory ammo and factory rifle. I`m totally satisfied with this results, especially knowing that if I`m shooting Sig Sauer Elite Performance 168 gr, the results could be maybe 0.1 MOA better. Now I`m thinking of getting reloading gear and improve better performance, and reach to further distance!

That`s all about my Savage 10 Ashbury.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me suggestion on reloading data for this barrel (.308 24 in, 1:10 twist). Also if I want to improve accuracy performance, is there any upgrades I can make to this rifle?

Based on your average grouping you look fine. I use N150 for my 308 Savage. Also, you can try indexing bullet tilt so they leave the muzzle pointed in the same general direction. Tends to tighten groups a little more.

Reactions: Tigrexar
Based on your average grouping you look fine. I use N150 for my 308 Savage. Also, you can try indexing bullet tilt so they leave the muzzle pointed in the same general direction. Tends to tighten groups a little more.
Thank you, will try that!