• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 10 BA - replacing barrel and misc ?

EROCO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
Hello ladies/gents,

I love the performance of my Savage 10 BA and it has far exceeded my expectations but as I put more and more rounds through this I know the time will come to replace the barrel. I would like to get a new barrel and run the thicker contour thus doing away with the barrel nut. I really do not have any intentions of switching barrels around but I do want to maximize the accuracy potential of my rifle. My question to you experts is, is this a good idea?

Also, is there anything to gain for me in bedding the Savage accustock, particularly the 10 BA stock?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Savage 10 BA - replacing barrel and misc ?

I guess another way to put it is, does having the barrel nut actually add to the accuracy potential of a rifle? I remember reading a blurb about just that but I'm not sure..Something about improving the harmonics..

I would think if it did every rifle would have them though..

Keep the nut, it probably does nothing for accuracy, but it does take away alot from the savage. You can swap out the barrels in your man cave with a few simple tools in 30 minutes with the nut.

I finished a barrel swap a few months back with a full 1" tube all the way to the muzzle, kept the nut. Do you want to go bigger? Why if so?

Here is my thread with my Savage barrel swap as the main discusion. Im very happy with my work.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...806#Post2649806

he's right i just set up this 6.5 creedmoor with e.r. shaw barrel and what was a savage 10 in .308 win.
it shoots 1/2 moa already.

P9084690.jpg

Wanted to go with a heavier contour barrel to dissipate more heat and gain more rigidity around the chamber area.

Thanks for your input.

Anyone have thoughts about bedding a Savage accustock?

keep the nut or you may as well buy a remmy and pay a smith for the barrel change. why bed the accustock? upgrade to a manners or some better stock. guys do like the accustocks though