• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 BAS vs.Remington 700 Target Tactical

MBass300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Prospect,Ct
I'm looking for my first long range precision bolt action. The two models I am currently considering are the Savage 10 BAS, and the Remington Target Tactical. Price difference is relatively small and not a factor. I'm aware that the Savage comes with the Command arms CBS stock, Which most shooters (myself included)dont like for a bolt rifle. If I decide to go in that direction, I would replace the stock with a magpul PRS. So, poor stock selection aside, I'm interested in hearing some pros and cons for each. As a side note, any thoughts on Remington's Tri-Fluted barrel? I understand the theory behind it, I'm just not sure if has any real advantage over a traditional heavy fluted barrel (other than weight)
Finally, as I said, these are the two models I am currently considering. I am, however, open to suggestions if someone has a better reccomendation in the $1500-$2000 price range. I'd like to be able to spend more, but I need to save some money for glass too.
I'd appreciate any input from those more experienced than myself.
Thanks

Re: Savage 10 BAS vs.Remington 700 Target Tactical

I vote neither for 2k have a custom built to your liking or savage 10 with mcmillan rem 5r pick a new stock of your choice. hell if you save alittle more you could even pick up a trg 22.

just my opinion though

For 2 grand I'd check out one of the custom rifle builders. Check out Predator Custom Rifles. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to get you into a precision stick for around that price.

I am going to have to agree with diggler44 on this one. $2000 is pretty close to custom money. Also, if you did do at least a semi-custom you could set it up exactly to your liking. Or another option would be to go a price bracket lower to 5R/PSS/10 and spend the rest on glass and ammo.

There is no doubt that the options you mentioned would be good rifles, and odds are they would shoot very well, likely sub MOA.

I just bought a new Rem 700SS 5R .308 ($899) three weeks ago and it is a wonderful rifle. It shoots anything & shoots very tight. The 700 Target Tactical has a triangle barrel and cannot be threaded, that was my reason for not going with that rifle.

ragin: you put some pricing in perspective. Less I put my foot in my mouth, I thought 1-2K was a bit high for an off the shelf production rifle, so I checked the web. Some of the MSRP's are up there. Sendero-$1359, but the press says it's worth it. Target Tacts from $1407-$1972. I have seen Rem Police for under 1K. I'm a Remmy shooter, for the most part, with a Win and Sako thrown in. (Are you familiar with Vore Rifles?)

Seems like a Police Mod and some good glass would make the procurement fast and easy. Then throw a McMil stock on it later.

I really appreciate all the good advice. I've been looking into some of the alternatives suggested. The Predator customs look really nice, but thier base model starts at $2050, and if I was to go the custom route, I wouldn't want to settle for the base model.
The TRG22, as nice as it is, is more than a little out of my $ range (I actually looked at one last weekend for $2600).
especially with mags over $300).I dolike the idea of a det. magazine (like the 10 BAS)
I liked the look and feel of the Bell& Carlson adj. stock on the Remington 700 TT, but the tri-fluted barrel seems to be a deal breaker.
So heres what I'm thinking at this point:
Buy a Rem. 700 5R for about $1000, replace the stock with a B&C Medalist varmint/tactical stock for about $500, and install a Badger Ord. trigger guard with det. mag for around $440 (including 1 extra mag.)
That keeps me just below the $2000 mark, and should give me a better barreled action than either of my 1st two options.
What do you guys think? Am I getting close here?

$500 is waaaay more than the B&C Medalist costs. For that kind of green, you can get a McMillan. Take your time and think over your options. It seems that you have the LR bug and are wanting to throw some $$$ at it. Look over the "Rifles" section and get some ideas about what might suit your needs.

As a note, the B&C Medalist is close to the same thing as the stock on the 5R. If you swap out the factory stock for a B&C, you are really splitting hairs.

I would get the Savage 10 FCP-K and put a stock on it. Then spend the rest on a scope. This model Savage has DBM like you want also.

As you were typing your response, I was checking out the AICS
stockset. It would almost be a wash since I wouldn't have to drop the money on the Badger mag setup.
Good call! Thanks

I did check out the Savage 10FCP-K. I like the mag feature, as well as the fluted barrel and muzzle brake. It also has a faster twist ratethan the Remington.
From what I've been reading, Savage has a stellar record of accuracy right out of the box, and Remington:slightly less(very slightly). The Savage is also a little less $.
There dont seem to be as many stock options out there for the Savage. Do you happen to know what magazines are compatible with the 10FCP?

There are a fair amount of stocks available for Savage. Bell & Carlson has the A2 for the Savage, but you have to get the bottom metal cut for it. Also I came across this earlier today, not sure off the price but it is bolt on and offers the AI Mag.

http://www.mcreesprecision.net/sp_pr_t.htm

I am not 100% sure what mag's are available, if you change the stock make sure it can be cut for the bottom metal. CDI Precision offers bottom metal for the B&C A2, they will also cut the stock for you and install the bottom metal. There bottom metal accepts the AI mags.

If you go with the savage either in the 10FCP-HS or McMillan you will get a great gun with an excellent stock. Also you get the DBM on the savage that the mags are then between $40-100 each. I have the 10FCP-HS and the groups it gets are phenominal, and paying under $1200 depending on where you get the rifle you can invest in a great reloading setup and put $200-300 more into the glass. The only thing holding back my shooting right now is my glass. Check it out!

The stock I was looking at was the Bell&Carlson Model# 2094 (adjustable comb and butt pad). Street price seems to be around the $450 mark.(from Midway USA) I'm not sure if this is the one you had in mind.
Swan's suggestion about going with the AICS 1.5 is a good one.
The B&C stock is one I've had my hands on and I like the feel of it, but I'm sure I would like the AICS too.
I know I definitely want an adjustable stock, as I used to shoot smallbore competitively. I had an Anshutz 1913 set up to fit like a glove. I spent a lot of time behind that rifle, and the feel is very comfortable for me.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's really nice to get some good advice from people who aren't even trying to sell me a gun.

IF you want all that, Mele over @ sniper central has an awesome package. Although it is with the Remington 700. Here is the link check it out.

http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

For an extra $150 you can get the stock you are talking about, they call it the MK2 fully adjustable.

By no means am I an expert at this, I am new here. This is just some stuff I have learned from others and my own research.

Thanks for the link. Never herd of them, but seems like good stuff. I couldn't find any prices, so Im not really sure where that would put me, but if you put the savage 10 fcp-k in that stock, It looks to me like you'd have a Savage 10 BAT/S-k, minus the integral rails. Ill have to see if I can find a ballpark price on those stocks.
Lots of good ideas. My head is spinning, but I like it.
Thanks.

The accustock on the 10FCP-K is fine, not the typical savage flimsy stock. I added a Karsten cheek piece to mine and it was perfectly fine. You can get a mag extension kit from Sharp Shooter Supply.

I have the BC stock you are looking at on an LTR I am selling, its great but it is heavy. I personally would buy once cry once and not mess around with swapping major components if you can piece it together.

The 5R is a great rifle as well but just depends on what ya want.

Cost effective route would be Savage Action, aftermarket barrel, and a McRee or McMillan stock.

I new there were some Savage fans around here! I'kind of im-partial, since I've never owned one of either. But it looks like now I may have to buy one of each.(I wish)
By the way, If youre looking for some great glass,Sportsman's Guide has a great deal on CounterSniper Optics. Aparently they hand overrun on a government contract!
Just kidding. Please don't anyone take that seriously.
Anyway, I appreciate the input.It's definitely nice to hear from someone who is so happy with thier gun.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up.Thats one hell of a price! That is basically the same gun I picked up in the store, except the one I saw had the triangular barrel, no rail, scope, rings or bipod, no case, and it was $500 more!
On a couple of recomendations I looked into the 5R. According to what I was able to find on it, if I wind up building on a Remington, that is probably the way I will go.
Thanks again

I'll have to pick one up and see it for myself. I'm sure it is a decent stock, but I really like the adjustable, and weight really isnt that much of an issue for me. This isn't going to be a hunting rifle or a working rifle for me. Mainly a range gun that will hit very small things from very far away.
I guess I'm just trying to get as close to perfection as I can, within a reasonable time frame, for what I can afford to spend. Cause whe this is done, It's gonna be a long time before I can afford to do it over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll have to pick one up and see it for myself. I'm sure it is a decent stock, but I really like the adjustable, and weight really isnt that much of an issue for me. This isn't going to be a hunting rifle or a working rifle for me. Mainly a range gun that will hit very small things from very far away.
I guess I'm just trying to get as close to perfection as I can, within a reasonable time frame, for what I can afford to spend. Cause whe this is done, It's gonna be a long time before I can afford to do it over.</div></div>

One good thing is that you can piece it together. You don't really need to buy everything right now.

I am buying the Savage 10 FCP-K and a nice scope. I can add the stock and cheek piece later.

I just saw the post about Accuracy International releasing the AICS 1.5 for the Savage 10! That really levels the playing field, now doesn't it?
I guess at this point,it's between the Remington 700SS 5R, and the Savage 10 FCP-K.
Any words of wisdom?

Personally, I would not drop that kind of money on a factory rig.
I have a Savage Model 12, I restocked it in a Choate Ultimate Vrmint stock (Before the B&C was available). It is a .243 and it shoots great.
I also have two Remingtons, an SPS tac restocked in the new Choate tactical and a Sendero in the factory HS Precision stock. These two rifle also shoot very well.
The Sendero's are rather pricey, the SPS tac wasn't too bad and the Savage was just about a steal.
There are other options available that also shoot very well, Mel at Snipers Hide has both the remington package deal and a Howa package deal, they are both supposed to be fine shooters.

If you want something tacti-cool and with an excellent reputation for accuracy, look here:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_445/products_id/80603
The standard Tikka vaarmint would also be an excellent choice, as would this:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/63/products_id/22996
Bottom line is, if you want a custom, by all means get one, you'll be happy.
If you have a good smith in your area, you can buy a wally world model 700, have it rebarreled with a 5R match barrel, trued, lapped and tuned, stock how you like it and still come out ahead.

Savage definitely seems to have the $ point in thier favor, and so far I haven't heard from anyone who was less than happy with the accuracy of them.
The links you sent me to budsgunshop didnt work, but I did check out the site anyway. I'm just not sure which models you were referring to.
I also checked out Mel's packages, and they seem like great deals.
I don't know of any gunsmith in my area, so re-barreling might not be my best option to start with. I'm comfortable with the idea taking a good barreled action, and changing the stock myself (not nessecarily the AICS, but it's an interesting thought). At this point I dont think there would be much benefit to going the custom route. Ithink I should stary with a quality factory rifle, restock as needed,put some glass on it and shoot it as much as possible. Spending some time with an "almost there" will give me a better feel for what I like and don't like. That way, when custom time comes, I'll know exactly what I want. Right now I don't have much personal experience to base a decision on.
Sidenote: Sad as it is, in my neck of the woods(Ct) Wally-World doesn't sell guns anymore. Youre lucky if you can get a box of .22 ammo. Hell, most of the stores don't even sell BBguns! What is this Wally-World comeing to?
Anyway, Thanks for the reccomendations. Now I just need to figure out what to start with. The Savage or the Remington

That was where I was at 1 month ago. It took me about 1 month of research to make the RIGHT decision. I don't have the money to buy a new rifle every month, so my first choice is very important. It was between the Remington 700 SPS Tactical and the Savage 10 FCP-K. I shot both and picked the Savage, to me it just fit better. I am still tiring to decide on a scope but have narrowed it down.

Thats great. I wish I could "try before I buy". I'm sure that would make the decision easier, but unfortunately,I don't know anyone who has either. How did you like the Accu-Trigger?
I've talked to people who love it, and some that hate it. Was that part of what made up your mind?

I have a Savage .22 WMR that has the Accu-Trigger so I am familiar with it. So far on the .22 i like it a lot, very easy to adjust. With the 10 FCP-K, I think you can get the it down pretty low (like 6 oz or something crazy). The Accu-Trigger gets mixed reviews, this guy like it but this guy doesn't.

I think the overall feel of the Savage was what made my mind up. The Remington stock felt very cheap plastic like and the Accu-Stock was much better. I intend on replacing the stock, but I wanted something good for the time being.

Even if you can't shoot both, can you handle both? I would suggest checking them out.

Thanks for the report. I'll try to find a shop that has both in stock so I can compare them side by side.

only the target actions (LRPV, etc) go to 6oz. the 10 FCP-K goes to 1.5pounds.

I would suggest the karsten as the comb drops a little more than is desireable.

As far as Scope- Super Sniper 3-9 FFP or even just a run of the mill Super Sniper 10X (rear focus will be fine). When you are ready to move up in price on the scope, the SS will be the easiest to sell without losing your ass if you choose not to keep it.

If you plan on staying 30mm tube, go ahead and get some Seekins rings, otherwise go with the Burris Signature rings with the inserts and either a quality picatinny 20MOA base or get the graduated inserts with the rings and go with a standard picatinny base.

this set up will serve you fine until you need/want something different.

Still agonizing over which gun, but I have a pretty good idea what I want for glass. I'm thinking either a Burris 6-24x50mm
XTR, or the Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical FFP. Both are in the range where I could keep the glass, mount and rings around $1000 (doable) and both seem to me to be of decent enough quality that I should be happy with either for a while. As for the rings and base, I like the 20moa picatiny base, and I'll probably get the scope and rifle, and then use stacks of dimes to see what height I need to be at.
I've heard some people reccomend going with steel rings instead of aluminum. Is there any benefit to that?

...if you are in prospect, surely you've hearded of/been to Bethany Firearms on 63...???...behind the flower shop...???...

I havent been there in a while, but they usually have the best ammo prices around.

Take a look at Excorio Precision. The man's name is Larry. I am having him build me a 260 that should be done shortly (hopefully). He offers everal different price points from pretty much factory to a pretty much full on custom. Take a look or shoot him a email. So far he has been pretty good to deal with.

http://www.excorioprecisionarms.com/

Looks like nice stuff. I tried to do the "build your rifle" feature to get a ballpark price, but it wasn't available yet.
Thanks for the link, and let me know how you like it when it's done.

Bro shoots Remmy, but likes my Savage.
We are right and left handed, and share guns.

Try to find a good deal on a 12-FTR. (.308)

I checked out the 12-FTR. The only thing Im not crazy about is the single shot thing. I like the 10 FCP-K for the DBM.
I'm glad to hear from a happy Savage customer.
Thanks

I love my Savage 10 FCP-K, shoots nice tight groups and hangs with the HIGH dollar sticks long range.
Cant beat it for the money.
I own six savages, all shoot great

Sorry, didn't think of the single shot "Problem"
Harder for me to make hole for light and double mags.
Properly placed log book, and ammo box can still be quicker.

Look forward to us sharing info.
Thanks.

I am an avid shooter and one man gun shop and I have been selling about 2-4 Savage BAS's per week. I myself have several custom rifles built on 700 actions but the feedback I have been getting on the Savage's has about talked me into buying one. Between the two I would buy the Savage BAS. There is no way I would spend that much on the Rem without getting exactly what I wanted in a custom gun, then again most of my customers don't want to wait several months to start shooting. So if it was me I would go Savage or custom built Remington.

That's really good to hear. At this point I'm leaning heavily in that direction. I'm glad that so many people are happy with the Savage 10 BAS. I haven't heard anyone complain about Savage accuracy in general, and in the $1500-1600 range, they're considerably less than a moderately priced custom.
When I'm ready to buy my second precision rifle, it will most likely be a custom 700 model, but it's looking like my first will be the Savage 10 BAS.
Thanks

I finally made a decision today. A month and a half ago, I was trying to decide between a Remington with a triangular barrel, and a Savage with an AR stock and more rail space than I know what to do with. Today, I bought a HS Precision Pro-2000 SA HTR, which I'm sure is a better choice than either of my original two choices.
I'd like to thank everyone who posted for taking the time to help out a new guy who had no idea what he wanted. Without all the advice and suggestions of others on this forum, I can't say that I would have been completely happy with the choice I would have made.
This is a great forum. I have learned alot here and I look forward to learning more, and passing on what I can to other "new guys".
Thanks again to everyone who helped me "take the plunge" into LR shooting ( my wife may not thank you, but I do.LOL)
Matt

My suggestion is a Savage 12 BVSS .308, lists for $925. The stock is very suitible for long range shooting, and for years this was our basic loaner rifle for 1Kyd F Class beginners. There are really no mods needed. This leaves over a grand for decent optics and mounts, etc.

Greg

Semour, It may be alittle late in the game but the #2094 BC stock can be bought at www.stockystocks.com for about 207.00. I noted the date of your post, but I beleive it is the same stock you referred to from midway. Hope this did not come too late. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL!

Thanks for the heads up, but I ended up going a different route. The HS Precision basically had everything I was looking for. I really like the stock that comes on it. The price was a little more than my 2 original picks, but it's ready to shoot the way it is, and from what I hear, it's accurate as hell.
Thanks again

Get a 5r, sell the stock here. Get the A3 Bell and Carlson at the link showed. Have it modified to drop in a Badger or Surgeon bottom metal and just enjoy. I have had the AICS and it is nice but heavy. If I want that much extra weight, I'm gonna have it in the barrel, not in the stock.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-304/bell-carlson-tactical-remington/Detail