• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 10 FCP-K or Rem 700 SPS...any significant reason for one over the other?

Deputy D.A.

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2014
New Mexico
I am intending to purchase one of the two above factory rifles NIB. From most of what I have read they are comparable rifles with loyalist on each side. I have read of a few issues with both, and various pro and cons. For example, I recently read that the Savage can have problems with the ejector. Are there any major or appreciable concerns that I should consider in deciding one over the other. I am strongly leaning toward the Savage, but remain open minded. I have read an article recommending both to new shooters who are not ready to purchase a custom rifle just yet.

Any feedback, recommendations, and insight are appreciated. Thanks.

I've got the Savage Model 10FCP HS-Precision chambered in .308. I've owned this one for a while now and have shot several hundred rounds through it, including both supersonic and subsonic ammo. I have the rifle zero'd in at 200 yds. On a sunny, calm day i'm shooting 1" groups at 200 yds. At 1000 yds I'm shooting decent groups. I have yet to have any issues with the rifle itself. It's been very good, and very accurate.

My Rem 700 stays in the safe when I want to shoot .308. I hardly shoot it anymore. I feel like my Savage is a much better weapon.

I am certainly not married to the FCP-K, but it seemed to be a reasonable choice based on features and price. I have only owned one other rifle--AR-15--for a few months. I want to purchase a .308 bolt gun that I can have fun shooting primarily from prone position and bench rest up to say 800 yards, or so. Due to range limitations, 300-500 will be the more common experience. If I truly enjoy the experience then I may later decide to get a nicer rifle, but at this point it seems like a reasonable staring point and investment. The features on the FCP-K that struck me were 24" heavy free floated fluted barrel; accu trigger; 4 round DBMS; reasonable weight; oversized bolt handle; reasonable price around $725. I understand there may be limitations on changing the stock later, but I wasn't sure whether I should spend a couple/few hundred extra dollars to get one of the models with presumably better stocks all ready in place. Are there other considerations I should put more emphasis on.

I just recently went through the same thing as you. Looked at Savage, rebarreling my 700, and FN. Came down to the home serviceability of the Savage. Both handles can be swapped with 1 screw, firing pin can be adjusted, barrel can be headspaced to your liking or barrel swapped in a few minutes with minimal cheap tools, all that is needed for small bolt face and large is a new bolt head that can be swapped out with 1 pin (think multiple caliber gun if wanted). I like the safety features of the accu trigger but prefer the Rem700 triggers but there are aftermarket options just without the added safety features of the accu trigger. I also liked the placement of the safety...while not a major deal I certainly use it a lot more often than I do on my Remington just because of placement.

There are also a good selection of stocks out there so I wouldn't be too put off by what you may have heard. Ended up buying the 10FCP McMillan and have no regrets.

I am certainly not married to the FCP-K, but it seemed to be a reasonable choice based on features and price. I have only owned one other rifle--AR-15--for a few months. I want to purchase a .308 bolt gun that I can have fun shooting primarily from prone position and bench rest up to say 800 yards, or so. Due to range limitations, 300-500 will be the more common experience. If I truly enjoy the experience then I may later decide to get a nicer rifle, but at this point it seems like a reasonable staring point and investment. The features on the FCP-K that struck me were 24" heavy free floated fluted barrel; accu trigger; 4 round DBMS; reasonable weight; oversized bolt handle; reasonable price around $725. I understand there may be limitations on changing the stock later, but I wasn't sure whether I should spend a couple/few hundred extra dollars to get one of the models with presumably better stocks all ready in place. Are there other considerations I should put more emphasis on.

You know you can get a Savage 10 TR with a 24" threaded barrel, accustock, over sized bolt knob. I paid $350 for several of them, but others are reporting an average price of $400-$450.

You know you can get a Savage 10 TR with a 24" threaded barrel, accustock, over sized bolt knob. I paid $350 for several of them, but others are reporting an average price of $400-$450.

...if you can find one.

I would happily purchase one, especially for the prices you paid and have heard of. However, I have not seen one for sale anywhere and even the listings that sold in the past few months were all in the $575--$625 range. But i guess the price doesn't much matter as I don't see any for sale. I know they were available in the 24" barrel (which is my preference), but most of the old ads are primarily the 20" barrel. I do appreciate all the comments and info everyone has provided.

I would happily purchase one, especially for the prices you paid and have heard of. However, I have not seen one for sale anywhere and even the listings that sold in the past few months were all in the $575--$625 range. But i guess the price doesn't much matter as I don't see any for sale. I know they were available in the 24" barrel (which is my preference), but most of the old ads are primarily the 20" barrel. I do appreciate all the comments and info everyone has provided.

They do pop up from time to time on the Savage forums.

I think there is one on savage shooters. I have a few Savage's and have been very happy with them. They have been about the last commercial supplier of lefties!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I can't seem to find it, but may be looking in the wrong location. Could I trouble you to PM me a link? Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks.

Don't rule out the FCP-K. Super solid rifle and mine consistantly shoots .5MOA with FGMM 168's. A friend purchased a SPS same month I got my Savage his is lucky to shoot close to 1MOA, with FGMM 168's or 175's. This was with both of us shooting each others rifles. He has since sold the Rem and bought a Sav... He ended up with a 10-TR and it shoots very well as well .7MOA.
I also own Rem's and with a little more work they are great rifles and they do feel smoother out of the box, just not usually as accurate straight from the factory. Plus with a Savage you can work on them yourself if you are so inclined.

i went with the savage FLPC-k in 308 over a lefty remmy because, heavy fluted 1 in 10 twist threaded barrel with muzzle brake , heavy bolt handle , out of the box accuracy and a accu-trigger.

Dam, where are all the Remington fanboys? I have both, buy the Savage 10 you will like it, I own 4 of them, the Remington shot well and has a smoother bolt action and extractor but the Savage will out shoot any other rifle I ever shot out of the box in my 40 years of shooting.

The accustock is superior to the hogue stock and won't need replaced immediately.
Accuracy is probably a wash.

Are the bolt and extractors on the Savage as they come in the box pretty poor? Any suggestions on reasonably priced fixes/modifications. And I realize reasonably is almost a worthless word as it varies in everybody's perception, but something in the $100 price range...less is always great.

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with the bolt or extractor on the savage. They work just fine.

Savages are out of the box rifles that are very accurate and an excellent package (accustock, oversized bolt handle, very self serviceable, fluting and brake with the fcp-k and sometimes include a 20MOA base). With my Savage 10 FCP-HS Precision, I consistently shoot an average of 0.600 inch groupings (.480 at best) with FGMM 168gr. Only thing it lacks over the R700 is smoothness of bolt cycling and available accessories. Remingtons are imo rifles you purchase with the intent to customize/tune. If you want a set it and forget it rifle, go with the savage. If you like to tune and customize your rifle, go with the 700.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the bolt or extractor on the savage. They work just fine.

+1

The issue many people experience, myself included, is weak EJECTION - especially with cases that have short OALs (300 AAC, 6BR, etc...especially on a long action). SharpShooterSupply makes an enhanced ejection kit for $8 that fixes it, *if* you actually want or need it. My 10TR doesn't have any issues, my 10FP-based 260 was a little weak but didn't drop brass in the action, but my 110-built 223AI was terrible about dropping brass and the SSS kit greatly improved it.

Hi guy I had both 10fcp k 308 , 110 ba 300 wm , traight from the box , 2 years old now , every time i go out to range never shot less 60 round each , never had problems , but range only no more 300yds , my size only 5'6" & 150 lbs , over 55yrs old , no complaints between me & my rifle , be out to range ,to day agian as soon they open , have fun gentleman ,:)
The best for all

Attachments

• 20140206_160155.jpg
    20140206_160155.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 18