• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 FCP-K range report

shanejohnson2002

Drill Sergeant (no.... really)
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Hey everyone!

I just took out my new-ish model 10, and tried a few different kinds of ammo through it. It seemed to really like HSM 155gr A-MAX's, but I don't have any other 155gr ammo to test against...yet. I want to try the VLD's, but we'll see.

Either way, it was fairly well spot-on. I got some good groups and tried to adjust the scope, but ran out of ammo. I guess that means it was fun to shoot?

Here are some target pictures:

This is the best group, and actually the second target I shot:
Target3.jpg

This is the last target, I adjusted the scope a click to the right after 2 rounds and fired 3 more rounds:
Target2.jpg

This is the first target, the flyer was my cold-bore shot (and probably also a lot of shooter error!)
Target1.jpg

Not perfect, but certainly workable. The white circles are around an inch (used my 1/4" staples to measure...forgot my ruler at home!) Now I just need to work on improving technique and such, and finish adjusting the scope. I added 2 clicks right, but with no other ammo to test, I can only hope it's on now.

Edit: forgot to mention...this was @ 100 yds.

Re: Savage 10 FCP-K range report

Good work - get a logbook and start recording your data. Keep a log of your range sessions can help you identify things like whether that cold bore shot was you, or if that it is what it will always do.

Accurate rifles are fun!

If you reload, I had a 10fcp-k I recently sold, but they seem to like Hornady 168gr BTHP, and Sirra SMK 168gn over 43.5gr IMR4895. Its not a hot load but at a 100yds it shoots awesome, I tried it in 2 different 10fcp-ks and they both shot around .5moa

Thanks! I'll have to try that one of these days...I need reloading equipment first though.

Milder loads seem to have a good history in rifles in general. I seem to remember a story about the old Arisaka rounds being way underpowered, but because of that, they stabilized VERY well and had little to no flash.

Good shooting! Reloading will save you a bunch, or at least afford you to shoot more!!
My factory Savage barrel loved 155 & 168gr SMKs, over 44grs Varget, if you ever do get into reloading.

I just realized I neglected to post pics of the rifle itself!It's nothing really terribly special:

Savage 10 FCP-K
DNZ Game Reaper scope ring
Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 Mil-Dot
Atlas bipod
Karsten cheek rest

photobucket-5822-1352756670456.jpg

photobucket-6187-1352756668725.jpg

photobucket-7003-1352756669599.jpg