• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 FCP-K vs. Precision Carbine

captainbarred

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Schenectady, NY
Hey all,

Finally have a few spare bucks again and am trying to decide on a LR .308 rifle.

Still not sure I am gunna go bolt or wind up with an M1A again, but I love the Savage rifles.

I was looking at their site and noticed the new Precision Carbine. Up till now I was looking at the FCP-K.

So I figured I would ask, what difference are you realistically going to see between the two rifles?

4 inch barrel difference.
The FCP-K has a break or comp, not sure which...

the FCP-K is also 3 lb heavier... yikes...

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

-Tim

Re: Savage 10 FCP-K vs. Precision Carbine

I owned the 10 FCP-K before grudgingly selling it to finance life.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The reviews I've read are favorable to both. I did read a comparison review of the FCP-K and PC when they first came out. The PC had better short range accuracy as far as 100 yard groups. I suspect due to the stiffness of the shorter barrel but I have no idea. They did not go into accuracy at extended distances.

I found the muzzle brake to be effective on the FCP-K. It was Sub-MOA accurate with quality handloads and factory match grade ammo.

I never shot the PC but I would consider it to handle similarly to the Remington LTR which I also previously owned. I didn't notice appreciable difference in recoil with the 20" barrel and longer un-braked barrels when shooting .308. When I drove the rifle correctly, it responded correctly.

I would say that a cheek piece of some sort is vital with these rifles as both models have a little too much drop in the comb of the stock for my comfort. I went with a Karsten cheek piece and it worked out great. The installation on the stock was no big deal. I can't recall if the stock was hollow. If that bothers you, then perhaps a filler of sorts would rectify that.

As for the reputation of "Salvage" stocks- the new accu-stock is great. It was robust and not flimsy at all. I would go so far as to say it is similar to the HS stock on the factory LTR but with a better bedding system. I found no need or desire to even think about bedding the FCP-K.

As Lowlight and others have proven, a 20" barrel will not particularly be a hindrance and could even help out once you move off the belly and go into positions.

The FCP-K *was* barrel heavy. I think if the Barreled Action was dropped into a McMillan or Mcree stock it would even out a little. Another option would be when drilling out the stock for the cheek piece to add your own fill.

If I really had to do it all again, I would consider going with the PC and having the barrel threaded and a brake installed. While the FCP-K brake worked very effectively, there are other and better after market options.

If you are planning on using it for hunting, I would almost certainly recommend the PC as the 20" barrel will be a much easier length to manage in the woods and a stand.

Hope this helps.

Cav,

Thanks for the in-depth write-up!
The weight and portability of the FCP-K was my big concern.

I like the idea of threading the PC, then I can put on it whatever I want, and if I ever move to a silencer friendly state...

I am not currently setup to reload so most of my accuracy is also going to be restricted to match grade bulk produced ammo(Probably still better than I am right now).

While I don't currently hunt, I do want to keep the rifle as portable as possible, the folding choate is nice for portability but I have handled that one and just don't like it.

The Savage Accu-Stock seemed pretty nice though(just from handling one in the gun shop).

Based on everything, I'd say you probably would want to go with the PC unless your heart is set on the FCP-K.

Glad you found it helpful.

After all my Q&A and shooting the FP, FCP, FCP-K, and FCP McMillan I think the perfect Savage rifle for weight, balance, and accuracy would be an Accustock with a McMillan A-series grip profile and a 20" braked barrel. Since they don't make one, I'm trying to build up and recut my Accustock and cut/rethread the barrel to 20" plus the Savage break. Hope I'm not wrong.

I had the FCP-K in the accustock and the only thing that I dod not like was the bolt release was moved down to the triggerguard on the accustock models. I had purchased CDI bottom metal and the new bolt release was not compatible with any aftermarket bottom metal so I had to return it. Make sure you get an FCP with the bolt release on the right side of the reciever. Dollar for dollar you would be very hard pressed to beat a Savage for accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the FCP-K in the accustock and the only thing that I dod not like was the bolt release was moved down to the triggerguard on the accustock models. I had purchased CDI bottom metal and the new bolt release was not compatible with any aftermarket bottom metal so I had to return it. Make sure you get an FCP with the bolt release on the right side of the reciever. Dollar for dollar you would be very hard pressed to beat a Savage for accuracy. </div></div>

Can you elaborate a little, I admit I am not overly familiar with bolt guns(AR guy historically)

Another fellow I spoke with mentioned the bottom metal(basically a mag adaptor if I am not mistaken) and think that would be a definite upgrade.

Do you mean all accu-stock model Savages will not take the bottom metal or just a certain variation?

The Savage Site lists the PC and FCP-K as detachable mags, dunno what factory capacities are available aside from 4 though.

2 additional notes, all the pics I have found, I don't see the standard bolt release on the side, and Sharp Shooter Supply makes a 9 round high cap mag for them if I am not mistaken...

All Accustock model 10's have the bolt release on the trigger. I have no problem with it. And the SSS 9 round magazine will work with it. If you want one get your name on the list - they are at least 2-3 weeks backordered.
I have the FCP-k. I had an FCP prior, with a 20" barrel and no muzzle brake. I didn't mind it, but the shoulder got a little sore after 30-40 rounds and muzzle jump was bad for an ammeture like me. With my FCP-k and the muzzle brake, recoil is so soft that the only thing that keeps me from shooting hundreds of rounds a day at the range is my ability to reload ammo quickly enough! That and money, limited supply availability, barrel heat, etc, lol!

If you look at the photo of any accustock models on the Savage website you will see a button/slide on the front of the triggerguard that is the bolt release, not all models have the bolt release on the triggerguard. Sharp Shooter Supply does make a magazine extension that will make the mag capacity 9 which now negates the bolt release issue. I hope this answers your question.

Rommel, I saw and commented on your post, VERY NICE. your comments helped make my decision and now I have a Savage 10PC of my own inbound
grin.gif

Wheels, thanks for the info. Looking at some of the other models in the shop the other day I saw exactly what you were refering to.

I also did find that 9 round mag from Sharps and am going to order one up probably along with one of those larger bolts that they have.

Thanks all for all the great advice, it should be in stock by this weekend or early next week, I can't wait!!

I have a 10pc .308 and have probably 900rds through it now. It's a great rifle and will do very well out 600yd if you do your part.

Some people have found that if you lock down the wedge, you will get a flyer once in a while, (myself included) my best round for mine is the 150gr hornady interlock with 46grs of varget. The 10pc rifle will stay neck and neck with my 12fvss .308 (26" barrel) out to 500yds. blue

I think you'll be very happy with the PC especially if you're going hunting with it.

I found a Cabela's Choate 10fp with detachable magazine. It offers the ability to change the stock out later because the bolt release is still on the side. It's mainly a bench rifle.

If I was going hunting, the PC would be my top choice with a nice sealer of some kind on the stock.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluealtered</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 10pc .308 and have probably 900rds through it now. It's a great rifle and will do very well out 600yd if you do your part.

Some people have found that if you lock down the wedge, you will get a flyer once in a while, (myself included) my best round for mine is the 150gr hornady interlock with 46grs of varget. The 10pc rifle will stay neck and neck with my 12fvss .308 (26" barrel) out to 500yds. blue </div></div>
I have torn down bolt guns before, that wedge hit me as a serious WTF?!?!?

I went through the manual, and I don't see anywhere that it says you need to loosen/remove that screw to remove the barreled action from the stock, but I had to. Then getting it back on was a b*tch!

I had to set it in place, then pop that screw in and jiggle it around till the hole lined up :<

Very weird....