• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 PC v. Howa 1500 Varminter

ancientmariner

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2010
Europe
Savage 10 Precision Carbine or Howa 1500 Varmint in 223?

Savage is lighter, has a detachable mag, accustock+acutrigger, 1:9 twist, so one can use heavier bullets. Howa is heavier (which I personally like) and a little cheaper
grin.gif
. Which one of those 2 should be more accurate?

Re: Savage 10 PC v. Howa 1500 Varminter

more accurate? too many variables, the driver being the biggest. You'd be good to go with either, I love my Howa 1500, and my older bro has rocked a savage for years and loves it. flip a coin is my advice

For now I am leaning towards Howa because it's heavier, however bedding&trigger seems to be better in Savage. I like also detachable mags.

Ancient Mariner,

Gotta go with what you like. Make a list of the pros and cons or each. Review the list and then throw in a dose of emotion and pride of ownership and buy one.

After I tried both I went with the Savage.

if you ever want to switch calibers, go with the savage. easy to do with a few tools and go/no go gages.

Otherwise it is probably a matter of personal preference. Probably wont go wrong with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old man now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ancient Mariner,

Gotta go with what you like. Make a list of the pros and cons or each. Review the list and then throw in a dose of emotion and pride of ownership and buy one.

After I tried both I went with the Savage. </div></div>

Why? would you elaborate a little bit pls?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ancient Mariner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For now I am leaning towards Howa because it's heavier, however bedding&trigger seems to be better in Savage. I like also detachable mags.</div></div>

cdi makes a DBM for the Howa, jus sayin......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ancient Mariner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For now I am leaning towards Howa because it's heavier, however bedding&trigger seems to be better in Savage. I like also detachable mags. </div></div>

CDI makes detachable mags.

But the trigger is much better in the howa. Its easy to adjust, and its normal. (I personally hate the damn fang in the center of the accutrigger)

But bedding is way better in hte howa. Flat bottem and integral recoul lug > lathe spun tube reciever, and sandwich washer

i couldnt get my howa 308 varminter to shoot sub moa consistently
tried bedding and 800 selfrolled rounds of different components
now it gets rebarreled
i seem to be the only with a lemon

havent tried the savage PC but i will get one as funds permit

I 4 Howas and all shoot sub moa or better. Between friends we have 16 of these guns and all have been a joy. I will say that one of my rifles had a trigger that was sub par compared to my others, But it's still way better than the acutrigger feel IMO. Howa is also releasing a detachable mag system this summer. That kinda makes it more one sided to me

I have owned Remingtons, FN, Winchesters, Marlins, Stevens, Savages, and a Howa Supreme Varminter. I wouldn't even consider Howa again compared to Savage. The 10PC that I own now is way more of a shooter right out of the box!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
CDI makes detachable mags.

But the trigger is much better in the howa. Its easy to adjust, and its normal. (I personally hate the damn fang in the center of the accutrigger)

But bedding is way better in hte howa. Flat bottem and integral recoul lug > lathe spun tube reciever, and sandwich washer </div></div>

Savage is advertising its accustock concept, and I have no clue about bedding in howa. As far as CDI metal bottom&AICS mags are concerned, I have a general remark. It's annoying to import all the aftermaket parts form the US. and pay customs (on everything exceeding 40 EUR) + VAT on everything exceeding 20 EUR. that makes tuning terribly expensive. I know, there is Roedale, but I don't want to wait for my purchase 6 months. If I bought a CDI set for Howa paid the shipping cost and paid the gunsmith to mount it, then I'd rather buy a Sako varmint and save time...I think there is a huge niche in the EU for tuning business.

Srsly&#1567;

Savage, if between the two.

Check out MSG Janoski's post here on proper accu-stock torque via an engineer at Savage. Good stuff.

Assuming accustock is superior to Howa's bedding what impact does it have on accuracy? Is the difference seizable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't Howa releasing a DBM system on their new rifles?
</div></div>

Weatherby already has one.

I bought myself a LTR in .308, and a Sendero in 300wm I like the remmy rifle. I bought my kids a PC in both .223 and .308 and out of the box they just shoot better then both my Remmys. Both of the savages are sub .5 at 100yds with handloads I would bet they shoot better out of the box then the howa. On a side not both of the savages have accustocks but the .223 does not have the wedge, it was bought 18 months after the .308.

Oh wow, i completely disregarded the fact you are in Europe.

Screw both of the choices listed, and go with something better (cough.... sako.... /cough)

Especially since parts and accessories are right in your backyard

I own both, and think both have there own unique features. I use the savage mostly for competition, and the howa for hunting. But each can easly swap and adapt quickly. I personaly think, with all guns, it's how the shooter shoots and handles the weapon that determines if the gun is good enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh wow, i completely disregarded the fact you are in Europe.

Screw both of the choices listed, and go with something better (cough.... sako.... /cough)

Especially since parts and accessories are right in your backyard </div></div>

I had bought Sako provided it would not been so overprized. It's nearly at the same price level as Sauer or Mauser. it's nuts. so, why overpay if one can shoot sub-moa with Howa?

I can't speak for Howa. I've never owned one or even shot one. What I can say is that I'm very pleased with my 10PC. I bought it as a bush gun for hunting here in Arizona. It will shoot sub MOA if I do my part. Now that I've owned it for a year it has become my go to gun. It's at the gunsmith now getting threaded for an AAC muzzle brake/can adapter.

From 2 rifles I would go with a heavier one. Does anyone know what's the barrel diameter in Savage 10 PC?