• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 scope rings suggestions

captainbarred

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Schenectady, NY
Hey fellas,

I'm going to order a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 this coming week - barring finding another scope meeting all my criteria and in my price range
wink.gif

Its going on a Savage 10PC short action in .308.

I already have an EGW mount installed on the Savage, but haven't chosen rings yet.

I'd prefer a one piece mount to eliminate as much variance as possible as I do not have the tools to lap the rings, but beggers can't be choosers.. I'm on a budget with the price of the scope.

Budget is definitely under $100 for the rings.

I was thinking of actually taking the EGW off and getting the Deadnutz mount.

reviews on midway are one thing, but what say the pros?

barring a one piece unit, what do you guys suggest for decent 30mm rings?

and anyone with a similar rig know off hand what ring height I'd need?

Thanks in advance.

-Tim

Re: Savage 10 scope rings suggestions

I have a PST 4-16, and I mounted it on a 10 FCP for a time. I dont have an EGW but I do use the Ken Farrel one piece base on my Savage. This is what it looks like in Burris XTR medium rings.

DSCF5121.jpg

The Ken Farrel is a bit taller than the EGW, so yours wont ride quite that high.

DSCF5120.jpg

BTW, you will love the scope!!

Thanks Cold Bore From the pics, with the lower EGW mount, I'd likely be find with medium Burris xtr rigs as well.

Very nice stick!

Yep farrel rail (20moa) and xtr lows for a 50mm leupy works well and just about as low as you can get it. Maybe an 1/8th inch between bell and barrel.

I have a 10FCP-HS with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50SF sitting on top of an EGW 20MOA base and Burris XTR Low rings. I have less than 1/8" clearance between the Nikon supplied flip up covers and the barrel, just the way I wanted it. Here's a shitty cell phone pic for reference, hope it helps!
IMAG0162.jpg

I have a bushnell 4200 6-24x50 in Burris xtr low rings sitting on a Weaver 20moa base with plenty of clearance. They seem to hold just fine even sitting on a 300WM and I like the 6 screws instead of four.

TPS low steals all the way for that price range.

I had them and loved them. I recently changed to the Aadland Engineering rings but they are a good bit more. I only moved because I wanted a ring lower than TPS offered.

Good luck,
Merritt

In that price range I would also recommend the burris extremes. I was running them on an Armalite AR-50 with a SS and had zero issues.

I also second the burrs extremes. For the price they are a great ring

I have a savage 10 PC also in .308 with a 5x20 SWFA SS scope with Seekins low rings and it fits perfectly. Save up a little more and get quality rings
laugh.gif

I have the Burris XTR Lows on my 10FP with an EGW 20MOA base. They are really solid. I used the Wheeler kit to install them and , to my surprise, didn't have to do any lapping. Guess I was lucky.

Thanks for all the input fellas. I emailed Scott and it looks like the PSTs are out of stock for a few weeks, gives me time to get the CC paid off before buying the scope and rings LOL.